The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

It's official, no internet at home. Far as I can tell, it's my Ethernet connection on my motherboard. Everything else has been replaced: new modem, new cables, new splitter. It's been disintegrating for a long time, now nothing's getting through at all.

To add to the frustration, the modem has a USB connection, too, but the damn thing will not install that way! I checked online and this is not an uncommon problem. No real solutions, either.

Well, computer has been very slow, the whole thing is ready to be put out of its misery. Five year old Dell XP box, it gave its heart for a good long time. *sniff* I'll miss it.

It's official, no internet at home. Far as I can tell, it's my Ethernet connection on my motherboard. Everything else has been replaced: new modem, new cables, new splitter. It's been disintegrating for a long time, now nothing's getting through at all.

To add to the frustration, the modem has a USB connection, too, but the damn thing will not install that way! I checked online and this is not an uncommon problem. No real solutions, either.

Well, computer has been very slow, the whole thing is ready to be put out of its misery. Five year old Dell XP box, it gave its heart for a good long time. *sniff* I'll miss it.

Laptops are ultra-affordable nowadays. You could probably get a desktop on the cheap, too, depending on what you need it for. 5 years is a good long life for a desktop. I had one that lasted 10, but then I maxed out the upgrades on it and used it sparingly after I got my replacement for it.

Laptops are ultra-affordable nowadays. You could probably get a desktop on the cheap' date=' too, depending on what you need it for. 5 years is a good long life for a desktop. I had one that lasted 10, but then I maxed out the upgrades on it and used it sparingly after I got my replacement for it.[/quote']

I'm leaning toward a laptop, but with a docking station so I can still use the dual monitors for stuff like photoshop and WoW. The prices are much better than I expected these days.

I'm leaning toward a laptop' date=' but with a docking station so I can still use the dual monitors for stuff like photoshop and WoW. The prices are much better than I expected these days.[/quote']

Photoshopping defeated enemies with their pants (kilts, whatever) yanked down around their knees in near-real-time is important.

Wait... what were we talking about?

From "You're awesome and I could spend the rest of my life with you" to "Let's just be friends, cause we're awesome together but I'm just not in love with you" to "This is kind of awkward, maybe we shouldn't communicate" in 4 months. The death of the friendship was slow and I could see it coming a mile away but why agree to hang out and then the day of the dinner decide to back out. Wouldn't have it been better to say this idunno...5 days ago when I said, "We should check out that new Lebanese place."?

Oh well. I never liked real life much anyway.

I feel at a very low ebb creatively. Games I plan to run don't survive the enthusiasm of the initial idea. I pick up rules system after rules system listlessly - what grips me as a must-use in the morning is forgotten or rejected by the evening. They're either too complex or too simple, require too much input or not enough. I'm prepared to play what others want to, and yet I want to proselytise for stuff I love. I want to run Trav - but which version? I want to run something that makes many of the decisions for me, yet I don't like the decisions it makes.

I'm tired. If I go to bed early, I wake early. Social events - which I enjoy, don't get me wrong - eat into game prep time, but it isn't a loss because I'm not prepping.

I need my mojo back, and I'm not sure where I left it.

I feel at a very low ebb creatively. Games I plan to run don't survive the enthusiasm of the initial idea. I pick up rules system after rules system listlessly - what grips me as a must-use in the morning is forgotten or rejected by the evening. They're either too complex or too simple, require too much input or not enough. I'm prepared to play what others want to, and yet I want to proselytise for stuff I love. I want to run Trav - but which version? I want to run something that makes many of the decisions for me, yet I don't like the decisions it makes.

I'm tired. If I go to bed early, I wake early. Social events - which I enjoy, don't get me wrong - eat into game prep time, but it isn't a loss because I'm not prepping.

I need my mojo back, and I'm not sure where I left it.

I've been in a similar boat for some time. Our group has been in kind of a RPG slump lately in general (nobody wants to run, so we play board games or just skip) and I was actually kind of glad for it.

See my latest Blog entry.

I did. I didn't have anything to add, other than, "Keep your chin up, it'll get better."

I think one of the things that's difficult for me is that I've just emerged from a double-whammy, at least as far as social and gaming life goes: I was working anti-social hours, and had different weekends to everybody else. That stopped me gaming regularly for a couple of years (we had occasional one-offs).

Then came a major relaunch, with associated workflow upgrades, then the holiday season - first others, then me.

There are many social commitments put on hold which now need effort to reintegrate myself within the social group. My social group is, aside from a very small overlap, different from my gaming group. I feel a bit like the donkey that starved to death between two haystacks. Too much to do, too little time. It was easier when it was work taking all the time - that puts the roof over the head and bread on the table.

Oh my GOD. I completely *HATE* the Epson WorkForce 840 printer & it's support on Epson's site. There is no manual on Epson's site that gives me screenshots or a step-by-step way to enter the wireless network's password. The pinter's interface is so F*#$!#g user-unfriendly and non-intuitive it takes a G-D degree to talk someone though it on the phone (not that I was successful despite trying for over two hours).

I am so feeling* like going F-ing postal on the nearest Epson offices it's not funny.

*disclaimer: No matter how I feel, I wouldn't actualy do this.

EDIT: Two and a half hours on the phone with my mom trying to get this D@M#3D printer set up with no success.