Interesting team idea

Lord Mhoram

This came up in a discussion of superheroes at the FLG/CS I work at. The person mentioning it was thinking more in the terms of a comic book, but I immediatly glommed onto the idea for gaming.

A four person team, each member exemplifying one of the ages of comics.

A golden age (Cap or Superman)

A Silver age (Spidey, Flash, GL or an FF)

A Bronze age (Wolvering out of the 80's maybe, or something from the Wolfman perex Titans)

An Iron Age (Cable or Spawn).

I immediatly chimed in that the Silver age character should be a scientific talking ape (shades of Dr Silverback) that shouts things like "Great Photons".

The iron Age character was mocked and decided that the origin should be incomprehensible and involve demonic powers, big guns and weird alternate futures.

Anyway I thought it was an interesting idea, and wanted to throw it out for discussion. :-)

Re: Interesting team idea

Interesting. Would this be more of a comedic campaign? It's a little difficult to incorporate all the different genres like this. Next to the gim iron age character, the golden and silver age guys would just look silly and happy-go-lucky.

Really? That's why I started again. (Just kidding. Sorta.)

It *is* an intersting idea, especially if they have a unified origin. They are four men pulled out of time to aid mankind. Maybe even they're the same guy from four alternate earths....

Jack Jones on Earth 1 was an astronaut sent into space who returned with powers beyond those of mortal men, whereas Jack Jones of Earth 2 was bitten by a radioactive Bedbug, despite his parents warnings...

This came up in a discussion of superheroes at the FLG/CS I work at. The person mentioning it was thinking more in the terms of a comic book, but I immediatly glommed onto the idea for gaming.

A four person team, each member exemplifying one of the ages of comics.

A golden age (Cap or Superman)

A Silver age (Spidey, Flash, GL or an FF)

A Bronze age (Wolvering out of the 80's maybe, or something from the Wolfman perex Titans)

An Iron Age (Cable or Spawn).

I immediatly chimed in that the Silver age character should be a scientific talking ape (shades of Dr Silverback) that shouts things like "Great Photons".

The iron Age character was mocked and decided that the origin should be incomprehensible and involve demonic powers, big guns and weird alternate futures.

Anyway I thought it was an interesting idea, and wanted to throw it out for discussion. :-)

I have to ask, HOW?!?!

How would individuals that are distinctive representatives of their respective ages even remotely come together as a team.

I mean as much as the idea of Supes trying to partner up with the likes of a hellbent Spawn amuses me. It'd be too much of a stretch for me to believe that they wouldn't be turning on each other after working with each other for a little while.

My other question would be to ask what kind've world-verse would you do this in, and would all of the reps. somehow come from the same world, or are we doing a bit of dimension-hopping?

Sorry I'm late, my ability to tranverse time and space to reach this destination was impeded by others who were just not going as fast.

Interesting. Would this be more of a comedic campaign? It's a little difficult to incorporate all the different genres like this. Next to the gim iron age character' date=' the golden and silver age guys would just look silly and happy-go-lucky.[/quote']THe obvious solution to that problem is to make each age successively less powerful. So the Golden Age hero is on par with Superman, while the Iron Age hero is Jimmy Olsen with a handgun. :winkgrin:

i dont know you could see it happening i mean a cap wolverine spiderman and hmm iron age marvel? mystique maybe team up would certainly be do-able i think you have to pick the right characters and play up the interaction diffrence in ideology tactics and philosophy. and everyone has to have something to do. golden age tactician with all that experince silver age (science guy cause arn't they all) bronze age melee ( cause weren't they all ) iron age firesupport because they have all teh big guns or what ever

well the power scale would be interesting for a multi genre world like that team. But it is do able. I've done it. With the way where explaining it here. to keep it all on the same power level

Batman with all his gadgets and gear

early season of smallville for superman

the young spider-man from ultimate marvel

and for the iron age, an angellic half-breed human with no memories just a desire to 'destroy demons'

believe it or not this was a DC universe game I played in.

THe obvious solution to that problem is to make each age successively less powerful. So the Golden Age hero is on par with Superman' date=' while the Iron Age hero is Jimmy Olsen with a handgun. :winkgrin:[/quote']

Yeah, I like that. After a bunch of intercharacter squabbling....

Pulling out his hellgun it's black metal absorbing the light around it, his cybernetic eye blazing with anger, the Bloodknight looks at his teammate and nemesis, and growls "Now you will feel the power that I possess, the power that damned me, the power that allows me to deal with those like you" and he put the entire power of his corrupted soul into the attack, which roared like a chorus of tormented souls and impacted the the blue field on the chest of his target.

"Hey, that tickles" says Ultraman, looking over at the Dr Chimp. "Great Photons" says that luminary. "What?!?!!? screams Bloodknight?

Yeah, if I ran this it would be with a group of roleplayers and comic book lovers as a one shot for the sillyness facter, and assume that the group would have lots of internal problems.

Yeah, I like that. After a bunch of intercharacter squabbling....

Pulling out his hellgun it's black metal absorbing the light around it, his cybernetic eye blazing with anger, the Bloodknight looks at his teammate and nemesis, and growls "Now you will feel the power that I possess, the power that damned me, the power that allows me to deal with those like you" and he put the entire power of his corrupted soul into the attack, which roared like a chorus of tormented souls and impacted the the blue field on the chest of his target.

"Hey, that tickles" says Ultraman, looking over at the Dr Chimp. "Great Photons" says that luminary. "What?!?!!? screams Bloodknight?

Heh. Great scenario. :D

And it makes sense. I mean, there's no real way Wolverine or Cable could hurt Superman or Gladiator. And making the "dark" character the most powerful would be a recipe for disaster.

Some thoughts on the lineup:

For Image era Iron Age there's really only one choice - Cable. He's got the lot. He's a cyborg, he's a mutant, he carries a gun, his origin is a mystery and no one really knows what his powers are.

For the Golden Age I think you want someone with a sidekick, possibly the most distinctive feature of that period's superheroes, which leaves out Superman. Captain America for patriotic nazi-smashing or maybe Captain Marvel for charm.

For the Bronze Age there are several possibilities. The New X-Men really define the period but there are too damn many of them. Wolverine would be a good choice except he's too similar to Cable. You could go for Luke Cage (black anti-hero), Ghost Rider (supernatural), Green Arrow (fight the man, man!), but I think I'd go for Adam Warlock cause he's cosmic and just so 70s. OTOH one of the angry ones (Luke Cage or Green Arrow) would probably lead to more interesting PC interaction.

You might want to divide the Silver Age into DC and Marvel cause they were pretty different from one another. For DC my choice would be Superman - most powerful superhero evar! From Marvel I wouldn't go for Spidey cause he doesn't have such a strong personality - he didn't even wisecrack back then. How about either the Thing - best character in comics evar! - or The Human Torch. The latter combines many, many features of the SA - teenager, explorer, space connection and Golden Age connection (name and powers), plus he's got a good personality being a hothead. Might be amusing to see the Torch bugging Luke Cage instead of The Thing, eh?

If you want a representative from the post-Image-era postmodern Iron Age what about John Byrne's She Hulk? She actually knows she's in a comic book.

Hi, I'm Mhoram's friend that came up with the idea of a team of four heroes representing different ages.

Basically, I was thinking about it as if it were a comic book and I was the creator creating new heroes that represent accurately the four comic book ages and how those four heroes would get along.

I'm not teaming up Superman, Spidey, Wolverine and Spawn here. I'm teaming up a Golden Ager of my creation with a Silver Age character I created and so on. However, I have a blueprint or template for each character in mind:

GOLDEN AGE - Got to use DC and, specifically, Superman as the template. And I would want to use an origin that was mystical/magical in nature ala Captain Marvel or the GA Green Lantern. Costume-wise, I'm thinking of a patriotic type but a bit more subdued than, say, Captain America.

SILVER AGE - Got to go with Marvel here. Something along the lines of Spider-Man or Ant-Man or the FF as far as origin goes. This character would definitely be some sort of scientist. His costume would be classic Marvel solo hero in design (think DD or Spidey).

BRONZE AGE - My template for this character would be Wolverine and the New Teen Titans (Cyborg, Raven, Starfire). Gotta have that angst-ridden, outcast feel to the character.

IRON AGE - Template: Spawn and Cable. Perhaps female. Big guns. Nonsensical origin. Ugly costume or no costume.

Perhaps this team is forced to work together ala the Exiles or the most recent incarnation of the Defenders.

I design superheroes for fun (I'm an artist but I'm really not that good) and I thought something like this would be a kick.

This reminds me of an old storyline in Jay Hosler's Cow-Boy comic strip in the CBG. (Obscurity rating: 9.4) Cow-Boy was a general super-hero spoof, and the villain, Gimmickus, was staging an alternaverse crossover where Cow-Boy met his other selves based on comic book companies. There was Image Cow-Boy (w/ grotesque musculature and big guns), Vertigo Cow-Boy (skinny, with trenchcoat and cigarette), and at least one other, I wanna say Marvel Cow-Boy (claws, I think).

My initial response to all this was: it would all depend on which one was Batman.

If the Golden Age character was Batman: halfway through their first case, he would take the Iron Ager into a dark alley and school him. The Iron Ager would enjoy it so much that he would give up killing and change his name to Ace the Bat-Hound.

If the Silver Age character was Batman: Batman would turn camp, and teach the Iron Ager the Batusi. Then he would take him to all the gay supervillain bars. The Iron Ager would enjoy it so much that he would give up killing and change his name to Ace the Bat-Hound.

If the Bronze Age character was Batman: halfway through their first case, he would mutter "This is a Crisis. The Dark Knight must Return!" He would then take the Iron Ager into a dark alley and school him. The Iron Ager would enjoy it so much that he would give up killing and change his name to Ace the Bat-Hound.

If the Iron Age character was Batman:

Batman: (tearfully) A puppy! After all these years, someone has finally given me a puppy! Oh thank you thank you thank you! I'll call him Ace!

Robin: (aside) Thanks, Superman. Maybe now he'll lighten up a bit.

Superman: (aside) Don't worry about it, kid. It was either that or let him beat me in a fight.

Oh yeah.

Matt Groening's Radioactive Man ("Bart Simpson's favourite comic book") has encountered his Iron Age counterpart. He slapped a lawsuit on him. He has also been transformed into his Gold Age counterpart, Radio Man.

Also, when Radioactive Ape was going through a sequence of strange transformations, he went through a Really Big Shoulders And A Big Gun stage, which was commented on as the most horrifying of them all.

THe obvious solution to that problem is to make each age successively less powerful. So the Golden Age hero is on par with Superman' date=' while the Iron Age hero is Jimmy Olsen with a handgun. :winkgrin:[/quote']

Now I have a picture of Jimmy Olsen acting all Clint Eastwood, shoving a punk to the crowd and hissing, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

Then Superman just eyeblasts the gun from the punk who immediately surrenders.

"Aw cripes, Supes, am I never gonna get to get through that?"

Hi, I'm Mhoram's friend that came up with the idea of a team of four heroes representing different ages.

(snip)

Welcome! And I must say, that was a great idea, I may steal it someday, I bet my players would go along with it.