Dr Yin Wu

Metaphysician

Re: Dr Yin Wu

Looks like it'll be "somewhere else." :( Yin Wu and his minions aren't in the playtest manuscripts for either of those books, so it's virtually certain he won't make it to the final drafts.

Looking at the release schedule, I would guess that the earliest we could hope for a 5E treatment of the Doctor would be mid-2005. That's when Champions Worldwide and Villains, Vandals, and Vermin are (tentatively) due to be released, and they sound like the likeliest books for Yin Wu to appear in. Unless he gets a writeup before then in Digital Hero, of course.

Re: Dr. Yin Wu

He's definitely not going to be in CW. He might be in VVV. I would prefer to save him for a "Tournament Of The Dragon" scenario book' date=' but I don't know if/when we'll get around to that. He might bookend nicely with the Tiger Squad in VVV.[/quote']

Watchers of the Dragon was one of the best gaming supplements ever, Steve. A 5th Edition update in the same vein would be terrific. I know it's not the approach you're using for supplements these days, but the whole fiction element was very enjoyable. That book even made me like Seeker.

And since I use Dr. Wu in my campaign, I'm anxious to see an update on him and his "sons."

Watchers of the Dragon was one of the best gaming supplements ever, Steve. A 5th Edition update in the same vein would be terrific. I know it's not the approach you're using for supplements these days, but the whole fiction element was very enjoyable. That book even made me like Seeker.

And since I use Dr. Wu in my campaign, I'm anxious to see an update on him and his "sons."

Now that I think of it, I wonder if Demonologist ever appraoched Dr Wu about joining forces?

Of course I think Wu would have offed the entire Devil's advocates so maybe it would be wise if they stayed away from him.

He's definitely not going to be in CW. He might be in VVV. I would prefer to save him for a "Tournament Of The Dragon" scenario book' date=' but I don't know if/when we'll get around to that. He might bookend nicely with the Tiger Squad in VVV.[/quote']

Well, Steve I hate to be forceful but you get right on that. I agree with Dr. Arcane :) ;

that Watchers of the Dragon was the coolest suppliment ever. I would love an updated version with more character art. I mean you could easily pick the principals from UMA; it would be nice to have the art and the characters together.

Glad to hear so many nice comments about WOTD. ;)

If we re-did it, we'd probably do it more as a scenario (a significantly expanded one, obviously) and less as an enemies book (though it would still include lots of characters). But you never know how it may all come out in the wash. :hex:

If we re-did it' date=' we'd probably do it more as a scenario (a significantly expanded one, obviously) and less as an enemies book (though it would still include lots of characters). But you never know how it may all come out in the wash. :hex:[/quote'] Actually, Steve, what made the book so cool for me and for everyone I've had discussions about it with is the very fact that it blends together so many different types of book. It's part enemies book, part scenario book, part sourcebook, part fiction... it just approaches the Martial World of the Original Champions Universe in a way that brings an incredible tapestry of life to it.

In a telephone conversation with Mike Nunn (of HeroZine) we agreed that it would have been wonderful to have a similar book for The Ultimate Mentalist and every other Ultimate book. I'm frankly not sure how that would work for TUV in the current CU, but it should only take a little creativity (I came up with several ideas even when working on the manuscript for 4th Edition), and I don't see one on the schedule that would pose any more of a challenge.

But that's getting a bit ahead of things... yes, please, many of us would love to see a new edition of WotD, preferably in early 2006. And don't change anything you don't really have to. :D

Actually' date=' Steve, what made the book so cool for me and for everyone I've had discussions about it with is the very fact that it blends together so many different types of book. It's part enemies book, part scenario book, part sourcebook, part fiction... it just approaches the Martial World of the Original Champions Universe in a way that brings an incredible tapestry of life to it.[/quote']

Agreed. Although they're quite different books, Watchers of the Dragon and Aaron Allston's Strike Force are similar to me in having a different take on the superhero game supplement, and a unique synergy that sets them apart and a cut above most other books written for the genre.

This is the main reason why I would be leery of an update of WotD with too much resemblance to the original. You just can't reproduce magic on demand. ;)

Agreed. Although they're quite different books' date=' [b']Watchers of the Dragon[/b] and Aaron Allston's Strike Force are similar to me in having a different take on the superhero game supplement, and a unique synergy that sets them apart and a cut above most other books written for the genre.

This is the main reason why I would be leery of an update of WotD with too much resemblance to the original. You just can't reproduce magic on demand. ;)

Sure you can.

Magic 18-, Gestures, Incantations, and voila!

Now that I think of it, I wonder if Demonologist ever appraoched Dr Wu about joining forces?

Of course I think Wu would have offed the entire Devil's advocates so maybe it would be wise if they stayed away from him.

That reminds me of one of a couple of ideas about using the Doctor I posted to the great Champions Universe Plot Seeds thread. BTW if any of you haven't read the thread yet I highly recommend it; it's a rich mine for scenario ideas for published Champs characters.

Heck, this may be self-serving, but this seems like a good spot to replant my seeds ;) :

Power Vacuum: In 1938, Dr. Wu detected a massive eruption of magic energy out of Europe. Over the years he has studied this phenomenon, determining that it was a spell by the Circle of the Scarlet Moon which went awry, and that the increase in magic has prompted the growing number of superhumans who have plagued and thwarted him. Yin Wu approaches the Circle with an offer to help them reverse the spell, drawing vast magical might to themselves while stripping their greatest enemies of their powers. They will then divide the world between them, Yin Wu taking the East and leaving the West to the Circle.

The PCs are alarmed to find their innate powers or super-tech diminishing and intermittently failing outright. The resident mystic determines the focal point for this effect, a secret holding of the Circle or Dr. Wu. The heroes have to attack quickly before the ritual is completed; can they overcome the combined might of Yin Wu and the Scarlet Moon before their powers fail them completely?

Who wants to live forever? The PCs are enjoying the local Chinatown, when they find themselves in the middle of a heated battle between supernatural Oriental monsters, and futuristic robots. After the battle Dr. Yin Wu contacts them: it seems that Dr. Destroyer has learned that Yin Wu holds the legendary Chinese alchemical secret of the Pill of Immortality, and has determined to wrest that secret from Dr. Wu by force as the answer to his own aging. To prevent further destruction, and the prospect of an immortal Destroyer, Yin Wu persuades the heroes to help him against Destroyer. This can ultimately take the PCs into the People's Republic of China to defend Dr. Wu's home base, involving them in a diplomatic nightmare and confrontation with the PRC's superheroes, the Tiger Squad.

Potential twist: it was Dr. Wu himself who leaked the information about the Pill of Immortality to Dr. Destroyer, hoping that Destroyer would invade China to get to him, weakening the nation enough for Wu to overthrow the Communists and declare himself Emperor.

Sure you can.

Magic 18-, Gestures, Incantations, and voila!

Now now, you *know* WotD has gotta be at least 50 AP, so you'd best up that to Magic 22- if you don't wanna sometimes blow the roll.

:P

That said, :( to the lack of Dr Yin Wu. OTOH, a possible :) for 5th ed WotD.

• 3 weeks later...

Who wants to live forever? The PCs are enjoying the local Chinatown, when they find themselves in the middle of a heated battle between supernatural Oriental monsters, and futuristic robots. After the battle Dr. Yin Wu contacts them: it seems that Dr. Destroyer has learned that Yin Wu holds the legendary Chinese alchemical secret of the Pill of Immortality, and has determined to wrest that secret from Dr. Wu by force as the answer to his own aging. To prevent further destruction, and the prospect of an immortal Destroyer, Yin Wu persuades the heroes to help him against Destroyer. This can ultimately take the PCs into the People's Republic of China to defend Dr. Wu's home base, involving them in a diplomatic nightmare and confrontation with the PRC's superheroes, the Tiger Squad.

Potential twist: it was Dr. Wu himself who leaked the information about the Pill of Immortality to Dr. Destroyer, hoping that Destroyer would invade China to get to him, weakening the nation enough for Wu to overthrow the Communists and declare himself Emperor.

This twist is absolutely beautiful. Heck, even if the good Doctor didn't leak the info to the... well... good Doctor, I can totally see Doctor Wu twisting the situation to his advantage. "Hmm, a megalomaniacal tech-based supervillain is going to be attacking my base in China. If I can divert him to hit some other sites first, I can use the confusion sown to..."

While I personally wouldn't mind seeing an update on Dr. Wu and his four sons's stats for 5E, I definitely don't want to purchase yet *another* WotD. I have about 40 or so Champions books from 4E and earlier; the last thing I wish to do is buy the same books I already have with only revisions of stats in it (and potential character background changes I wouldn't be happy with). I don't need to buy the whole story again -I already know it- especially when it seems that every game supplement that comes out is $20+. I was fortunate to find the 5E VIPER book at a retail store for about $14 since no one was buying it. I was disappointed with the changes (Supreme Serpent's history, Viperia's history, lack or many original villains, etc.). While the revised stats for troopers, weapons, and vehicles are okay, I'm not big into running those aspects of VIPER and so the book is only mildly entertaining.

I think Hero Games not reprinting the book is great; although what might be better in the long run is an adventure updates sourcebook. Maybe in one book they can compile the villains, heroes and other NPCs from various adventure modules that were previously put out and give updated stats on them. Books such as, "Wrath of the Seven Horsemen," "To Serve and Protect," "Target Hero," could have the characters in it combined if they haven't been updated already. If they really wanted to get fancy, they could do a "then" (near to revision of old material as possible) and a "now" (updated for their time through the years).

Just my thoughts.

PS: As an aside, I purchased nearly $2,000 worth of 1st & 2nd Ed Dungeons & Dragons material, over $900 on Ravenloft material alone (yes, I calculated it). When they went to 3rd Ed, I was more than upset and have only purchased the character sheets and player's book (since those were of the first items to come out). They're rereleasing previous material I already have and wanting me to buy it again, which isn't going to happen. Since 3E was a change (and for the worst, to me) I'll only run/play 2E from now on and the ONLY way I'll play 3E is if the game is fine with me never buy anything again, since I have the character sheets, which I can reproduce. Alright, enough ranting.

I don't see a PM button for you, Kirby, but I did want to say, re 3e Ravenloft: the Gazetteers-- the first 3 or 4, anyway-- might be worth getting. They're more about fluff (setting) than crunch (rules) and flesh out the domains very nicely.

The good Dr. Yin Wu as presented in Watchers of the Dragon very well written. He became an integral part of many of my Champions and a few Dark Champions campaigns. The "Plot Threads" for him has helped keep him in mind as the most powerful Mystic on Champions Earth. An evil ArchMage how prtotects earth, but pursues his own agenda.

I also like the the idea for Adventuure/Sourcebooks for the Ultimate Series books and Settings Books. Expanding on the Battlegrounds concepts. Here are a few suggetions.

1. The Ultimate Battlegrounds

2. Ninja HERO Battlegrounds

3. Pulp Battlegrounds

4. ???

• 5 years later...

For folks coming across this thread who are curious about the current status of Dr Yin Wu, he's featured in a Hero Plus PDF sourcebook, The Dragon Mandarin, available from the Hero Games online store. It updates the Doctor, his Four Sons of the Dragon, and his grimoire of spells, to Fifth Edition stats. It also provides alternate character sheets for Yin Wu for pulp, fantasy, and cyberpunk games.

For folks coming across this thread who are curious about the current status of Dr Yin Wu' date=' he's featured in a Hero Plus PDF sourcebook, [i']The Dragon Mandarin[/i], available from the Hero Games online store. It updates the Doctor, his Four Sons of the Dragon, and his grimoire of spells, to Fifth Edition stats. It also provides alternate character sheets for Yin Wu for pulp, fantasy, and cyberpunk games.

...cyberpunk? Does he have some technomagic in that situation?

For folks coming across this thread who are curious about the current status of Dr Yin Wu' date=' he's featured in a Hero Plus PDF sourcebook, [i']The Dragon Mandarin[/i], available from the Hero Games online store. It updates the Doctor, his Four Sons of the Dragon, and his grimoire of spells, to Fifth Edition stats. It also provides alternate character sheets for Yin Wu for pulp, fantasy, and cyberpunk games.
speaking of pulp isn't he written up in PULP HERO MASTERMINDS AND MADMEN/MAMEN AND MSTERMINDS?

i always get that title mixed up

The good Dr. Yin Wu as presented in Watchers of the Dragon very well written. He became an integral part of many of my Champions and a few Dark Champions campaigns. The "Plot Threads" for him has helped keep him in mind as the most powerful Mystic on Champions Earth. An evil ArchMage how prtotects earth, but pursues his own agenda.

I also like the the idea for Adventuure/Sourcebooks for the Ultimate Series books and Settings Books. Expanding on the Battlegrounds concepts. Here are a few suggetions.

1. The Ultimate Battlegrounds

2. Ninja HERO Battlegrounds

3. Pulp Battlegrounds

4. ???

i'm with you on #2

speaking of pulp isn't he written up in PULP HERO MASTERMINDS AND MADMEN/MAMEN AND MSTERMINDS?

i always get that title mixed up

He is not written up in Masterminds & Madmen. Instead, another "Fiendish Oriental Mastermind," Doctor Fang Shen, appears in that book.

Dr. Fang is more science- (or Science!-) oriented; pulp Dr. Wu is more pulp-mystic; he has most of the "Psychic Powers" listed in Pulp Hero, if you have that book. Dr. Wu has better characteristics; Dr. Fang's skill list is a lot better, and he has a scary +5 with all intellect skills. Dr. Wu has a vicious Dim Mak, and his Kung Fu is probably a little more effective. Points-wise, Dr. Fang is 662, and pulp Dr. Wu is 565; much of the difference is in Perks (78 for Dr. Fang including 50 points spent on Contacts, 18 for Dr. Wu with no Contacts).

The Dragon Mandarin (Tournament Of The Dragon, 5th Edition .pdf)

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=198180

Masterminds And Madmen (Pulp Hero Sourcebook)

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=201822

Dr. Yin Wu (Tournament Of The Dragon, 6th Edition)

???

Dr. Kirby Loo

???

The Tiger Squad Sourcebook (Fan Project)

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59885

Cheers

QM