Green Lantern

beastialwarlust

Re: Green Lantern

Hal has been the Spectre for the last 4-5 years (real time) I belive...Since the Underworld crossovers. Most people don't know who he is, but that may have changed as well. He's appeared in JSA and on again/off again in Green Lantern. Also doing guest shots (Supergirl & Young Justice comes to mind)

As for bringing him back, I have mixed feelings about it. He seemed to be doing pretty well as the Spectre. Villians coming back is one thing, it's always been done and expected. To keep bringing the hero back smacks of Marvel's Phoenix and Spider-Clone stories.

That's just me though :)

Ok I've never read DC comics much but recently I've developed a bit of an interest in the Green Lantern. I know a little bit of the history about the character. And I've been tossing around the idea of my players taking part in the Green Lantern Corps unfortunately I don't know alot about the powers of the rings potental other than I can have them design almost any power for thier rings. I did a search on the boards here and found some useful info on the corps and how the rings could be designed..e.g. recharging' date=' weakness to the color yellow,etc....[/quote']

beastialwarlust,

If I were doing what you are talking about, especially with a new group,

I would just make the "rings" or whatever you want to use, with a basic set of powers:

Flight, Energy Blast, Force Field, FTL Travel,

as a Multipower with a Focus.

You could also come up with some other stuff you wanted them to have as a "Package Deal". (Certain skills, like a Power Skill for the Ring, Combat Pilot, Interstellar Navigation whatever fits.)

Make the package deal powerful enough (and expensive enough) to use up a good chunk of their starting Character points.

Make "buying" the ring with points something that everyone has to do, then let them spend the rest of the points themselves on whatever they want

except new powers for the multipower!

That way, like the real GL Corps, they would each have the Ring, but one may decide he is a strong Alien Brick, one may be a Martial Artist, one may be a brainy "professor" type with lots of background skills, one may be from a planet where people have mild telepathic ability.

You will have the advantage of having the same basic set of powers for each character, but they will be different enough that they don't feel like clones.

You could let them "learn" new powers for their rings over the course of the campaign, and these could vary by player, or if one player came up with something really good, they could all decide to buy it. This would be done by adding a slot to the Multipower.

(If you want some ideas on adding slots without things getting out of hand too quickly, you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11976&highlight=adding+slots )

This will be much easier than having a bunch of characters with VPP's running around. You may never get any playing done, all your time will be taken up with figuring out what power they are going to use and how to model it.

This can take a while with one player with a VPP. If you multiply it by several, things will get way too slow.

For one thing, after you spend half an hour trying to come up with the exact construct for Player One's "Emerald Evisceration Beam Blast", Player Two will feel obligated to come up with something even "cooler". By the time you make it around the table, Player One will be unhappy with what he came up with and want to start over! :mad:

Good luck, and have fun.

KA.

In Abberant, I created a Green-Lantern like character called Blue Fire by giving her the powers of Quantum Bolt, Flight, Force Field, and Telekinesis. With my GM's approval, I also gave her, effectively, "Variable Special Effects" for her powers, so her Force Field, for example, could be a simple aura, or a Zulu shield, or whatever seemed appropriate to teh moment. Her favourite appearance for Quantum Bolt was the "Cream Pie Cannon," essentially a bazooka-shaped construct that fired construct cream pies. If you turn a gun on someone, they'll be terrified and angred and will probably come looking for revenge. A fire hose might outrage them. You can even tell a face-saving tale about being driven off by a swarm of hawks. But you just can't feel anything but stupid after being knocked cold by a stream of hypervelocity... cream pies.

There was invisiblity where Hal would keep wearing his Ring and mask in "normal" form. His normal clothes was an Image over his costume. But that was just Instant Change.

When I played a GL, I wrote it up as a VPP, but I discussed with the GM what was and wasn't considered a GL power. Occasionally, the other players would say, "Why don't you use your ring to solve the problem by (example)?" and I could say, "I don't think my ring works like that." It solved many (but not all) problems with the VPP.

It also made VPP allocation easier when I had a list of mix-and-match powers to choose from most of the time. But more flexible than a multipower.

The strangest use of the GL ring (in the comics) was one GL (Kilowog) stored up the essence of all the sentient life of an entire planet. He tried to recreate the planet and ended up losing the stored lifeform permenantly (he didn't have time to suck them back into the ring before the new planet was destroyed).

Images of Kilowog GL

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=kilowog

Images of Kilowog GL

Ah, Kilowog...second coolest GL of them all!

I can't remember which game system it was, Mayfair DC possibly or maybe even Marvel Super Heroes, but one of them had a system that I actually dislike, but I have to admit that it had it's uses. They had Hero points, or Experience points, or some such thing that could be spent on the fly. I seem to remember seeing a GL type writeup that had the basic powers (Flight, FF, FW, LS, etc.) and suggested using the Hero Points to do anything that wasn't listed. That way, you don't have to think about every single possible thing the ring can do (cuz it's a lot!) and you don't have to use something as possibly gamebreaking as a cosmic VPP.

YMMV, I just thought I'd throw it into the mix as an option.

Mayfair DC Heroes. The Hero Points were used to "power" the Green Lantern's Omnipower (VVP analog).

I *like* DC Heroes, Madstone perhaps you simply had a bad GM? I did with GURPS and will now not touch the game with a 12 foot Troll.

Anyway MP or VPP (limited selection) plus Smaller Cosmic VPP is the only way to go. And Independent is the the limitation you want for this character. Only Guy Gardner has a GL not purchased independent as we can see from his incarnations.

Hawksmoor

Mayfair DC Heroes. The Hero Points were used to "power" the Green Lantern's Omnipower (VVP analog).

I *like* DC Heroes, Madstone perhaps you simply had a bad GM? I did with GURPS and will now not touch the game with a 12 foot Troll.

Unfortunately, I only got to play DC once. The GM was ok, not great, but not terrible. The real problem was that he was hardcore DC system fan, and being in the Hero camp...well, we had a lot of arguments during character construction. (I think we were both being stupid about it, honestly.)

I actually like many things about the DC system, and I'd love to give it another shot. They have some great ideas that I sometimes wish could be integrated into Hero.

Oh almost forgot. Don't know if some of these have been bought up.

Kyle's ring doesn' have the impurity in it, so yellow obejcts can be affected by it.

Because of one storyline where Kyle was getting God-Like power through the ring (and calling himself Ion) he restarted the main battery and "re-created" the Guardians (as babies). Bringing the ring back down to "normal-levels"

Kyle has redone the ring so that it holds a small (20%?) reserve of energy before it's fully depleted. The ring he was given currently only works for him and his decendents..

During one storyline Hal Jorden left a copy of his ring behind, was used by Jade for awhile. This ring has the ability to create duplicates of itself. Belive it was given to someone else after awhile in order to re-start the Green Lanter Corps.

John Byrne's Generations II gives an alterante way of looking at the ring, and to be honest, makes sense to me considering the powers and attitude of the Guardians.

Um' date=' don't you mean Alan Scott?? Guy Gardner did lose his ring.[/quote']

Him too. I forgot about old Alan getting younger and gaining the Sentinel Powers.

Hal, Kilowog, Kyle and the other GLs can easily loose their powers and get nothing back. (Such as when Hal took everyone's rings away to unmake time) Take Rond Vidar from the PreZero Hour LSH. He gets the Ring crushed by Mordru and has to live as Laurel Gand's unpowered house hubby. Guy on the other hand goes hardcore and gets Sinestro's Ring! And when that doesn't work out so well he turns all Alien. Guy did not get the Independent Limitation.

Hawksmoor

Unfortunately, I only got to play DC once. The GM was ok, not great, but not terrible. The real problem was that he was hardcore DC system fan, and being in the Hero camp...well, we had a lot of arguments during character construction. (I think we were both being stupid about it, honestly.)

I actually like many things about the DC system, and I'd love to give it another shot. They have some great ideas that I sometimes wish could be integrated into Hero.

See the Player Finder Thread! Or PM me!

Hawksmoor

I haven't read too much of the recent DC stuff, so I thought I'd ask a few questions.

I have a few JSA graphic novels, and Alan Scott (Sentinel) doesn't appear to use a ring anymore - he is the power (the Ultra-Humanite was using him as a power source at one point). Is that correct?

Is Kyle the only GL that doesn't have to worry about yellow?

Whatever happened to Guy Gardner?

I haven't read too much of the recent DC stuff, so I thought I'd ask a few questions.

I have a few JSA graphic novels, and Alan Scott (Sentinel) doesn't appear to use a ring anymore - he is the power (the Ultra-Humanite was using him as a power source at one point). Is that correct?

Whatever happened to Guy Gardner?

Alan did internalise the power for a while, but he got the ring back in issue 50, and retook the name GL

Alan Has to worry about wood not yellow

Guy died I beleive in the War of the worlds (or what ever the big cross over a couple of years ago

All other lanterns except Alan and Kyle have to worry about yellow, honaroble lantern Jade does not, but might have to worry about wood (Not sure)

More or less. He is essentially a being of pure will controlling a body made of his green fire. Dr. Mid-Nite and Mr. Terriffice speculated that he bleeds, breathes, etc. because he subconsciously wants to "fit in".

He does have a ring again, though it's too soon to tell if taking it away from him has any effect on his powers. After Mordru yanked out the Starheart, it returned to ring form when Alan regained it -- because it felt right that way, apparently.

Of course, Alan does not have a GL Corps ring. His lantern and ring were made from the Starheart -- which was the sum of all the magic of the universe that the Oans collected way back long ago and tossed into their (or a) star. The Oans apparently didn't like magic.

All other lanterns except Alan and Kyle have to worry about yellow, honaroble lantern Jade does not, but might have to worry about wood (Not sure)

Originally yes. They've played a few times with the fact she migh have some mild plant control though due to her mom being the original Thorn (as in Rose &). Don't know how far they've taken it though or if it's even stilli n discussion.

Kinda like Arrowette being Oliver Queen's daughter (sigh). They tease you in one book but don't discuss it in the character's main book, and 3 writers later no-one knows what's going on.

Well, in the Justice League animated series, which is a completely different kettle of fish, they seem to have eliminated the "yellow impurity" altogether... (Witness John Stewart's Ring vs. Ring battles with Sinestro!)