Green Lantern

beastialwarlust

Ok I've never read DC comics much but recently I've developed a bit of an interest in the Green Lantern. I know a little bit of the history about the character. And I've been tossing around the idea of my players taking part in the Green Lantern Corps unfortunately I don't know alot about the powers of the rings potental other than I can have them design almost any power for thier rings. I did a search on the boards here and found some useful info on the corps and how the rings could be designed..e.g. recharging, weakness to the color yellow,etc....

Re: Green Lantern

Try to get a secondhand copy of The Green Lantern Corps Sourcebook for DC Heroes.While it is designed for the DC Heroes game system,it is packed full of information about the Green Lanterns,and there are plenty of DCHeroes to Hero System conversions out there.It's biggest drawback is that it's many years out of date.

First of all the power of the ring was powered by will power, thus you should base the level on Ego (I Suggest either x5 or x10 Ego value)

For a basic GL Ring I would do something like this

Emerald Force EC, -1/4 Not vs Yellow, Must recharge at lantern once per day -1/4

Flight

FF/Life Support Combined slot

Telepathy (Human & Alien Minds) Only for communications, Incantations

Emerald Force MP

EB

FW

Images

RKA

Desolid

FTL

Okay on the second part I would switch it to a VPP Cosmic for some lanterns (Kyle & Hal had VPP's, many corps men did not)

Remember in DCHeroes,the power ring's Omni-Power (the DC Heroes equivalent to a VPP) was Half Linked to the character's WILL.What this meant was that the characters APs* in Omni-Power were equal to half the Green lantern's APs of WILL.Thus all the Green Lanterns had a VPP,some of them just didn't find them cost-effective.

(*In this instance APs refers to DCHeroes Attribute Points,not the Hero Systems Active points.)

I too am not well versed in Green Lantern lore. I've never collected GL (or the JLA for that matter) and all I can refer to is the Superfriends, which of course are not exactly the most accurate cartoons ever.

My question would be: Is it a true VPP? Could they literally do anything with the energy? Or is it basically limited to Force Fields, Telekineses-type effects, and Energy blasts?

My question would be: Is it a true VPP? Could they literally do anything with the energy? Or is it basically limited to Force Fields' date=' Telekineses-type effects, and Energy blasts?[/quote']

The rings can do an almost infinite amount of things, bounded only by the willpower and imagination of the wearer. You don't see Green Lanterns teleporting or using mental powers often, but I'm sure you can find a reference to it somewhere. Intangiblity, Healing, Universal Translator, Invisibility, etc; you name it, the ring can probably do it.

So the next question is let's say the players design the powers of the ring. If the player wnated to add more powers they could since it's only limited by imagination are thier any powers or abilities that might not be suitable? Or could the player have to go on sort of "quest" to open additoinal powers?

And does anybody have any suggestions on some good Green Lantern comics to start with? is it still currently running?

So the next question is let's say the players design the powers of the ring. If the player wnated to add more powers they could since it's only limited by imagination are thier any powers or abilities that might not be suitable? Or could the player have to go on sort of "quest" to open additoinal powers?

And does anybody have any suggestions on some good Green Lantern comics to start with? is it still currently running?

Yes, GL for that matter came out this week

The question on good sourse material is hard to answer, the GL book itself of course. Other good refrences would be the JLA titles...

Later tonight I will look up GL stats from DC Hero (mayfair)

Thought you might like to see a few people's writeups of Green Lantern (Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner) for various approaches to the character. Note that they're mostly in 4E HERO System, but the differences are not major and mostly easy to figure out. First, some writeups posted to a couple of websites:

http://www.mactyre.net/scm/deejay/champs/characters/dc/green_lantern.html

http://www.mactyre.net/scm/deejay/champs/characters/jla/green_lanternIII.html

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Green_Lantern-ms.txt

Below you'll find writeups for Hal and Kyle contributed by Morningstar70 to the great "Character String" thread from the old forum archives:

Name: Green Lantern - Hal Jordan

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

20 DEX 30

18 CON 16

10 BODY 0

23 INT 13

35 EGO 50

25 PRE 15

18 COM 4

8 PD 4

8 ED 4

6 SPD 30

8 REC 0

36 END 0

29 STUN 0

Characteristic Rolls: STR: 13-, DEX: 13-, CON: 13-, INT: 14-, EGO: 16-, PER: 14-

Run: 6", Swim: 2", Jump: 4", Lift: 400kg

Cost Powers END/Roll

251 Power Ring Multipower (183-pt reserve); OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼; Ineffective Against Anything Yellow: -½

m-24 9d6 Entangle (DEF 9); Range: 1235; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼; Ineffective Against Anything Yellow: -½ 25

m-24 18d6 Energy Blast; Range: 1235; Versus: ED; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼; Ineffective Against Anything Yellow: -½ 25

m-24 9d6 Flash (Normal Sight); Range: 1235; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼; Ineffective Against Anything Yellow: -½ 25

m-24 Force Wall (18 PD/18 ED); Range: 1235; Width: 49", +0; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼; Ineffective Against Anything Yellow: -½ 25

m-50 Telekinesis (STR 115); Range: 2500; Manipulation: Fine, +10; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼; Ineffective Against Anything Yellow: -½ 50

45 Lantern Battery: END Reserve REC (90/turn); OAF: -1

60 Power Ring: END Reserve (900 END, 0 REC/turn); OIF: -½

25 Variable Power Modify 25-

36 Power Ring Elemental Control (54-pt reserve); OIF: -½

a-36 54" Flight (NC: 108"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×2, +0; OIF: -½ 11

b-27 Force Field (54 PD/54 ED); Ineffective Against Anything Yellow: -½; OIF: -½ 11

30 Power Ring "Computer" (Clairsentience) (Normal Sight); Only to Duplicate Knowledge Skills: -½; OIF: -½; See: Past, +20; Dimensions: Current, +0; Range: 200"; No Range Penalty: +½ 6

191 Variable Power Pool (90-pt Pool); Control Cost: 45; Change Powers as 0 Phase Action: +1; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼

Cost Skills, Talents, Perks Roll

8 +1 level w/All Combat

10 +2 level w/HTH Combat

15 +3 level w/DCV

11 Navigation 15-

3 Engineering Aircraft 14-

3 Aeronautics 14-

9 Mechanics 14-

9 Electronics 14-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Conversation 14-

3 Interrogation 14-

3 High Society 14-

3 Persuasion 14-

3 Oratory 14-

3 Tactics 14-

17 Combat Piloting 20-

2 Air Vehicles

3 Knowledge Skill: Aircraft 14-

3 Inventor (Ring Creations) 14-

5 Justice League of America Membership

10 Green Lantern Corps Membership

6 Contact: Green Lantern Corps; Usefulness: Incredibly, +3 12-

6 Contact: Justice League of America; Usefulness: Incredibly, +3 12-

6 Contact: Flash; Usefulness: Extremely, +2 13-

150+ Disadvantages

15 Secret Identity: Hal Jordan

15 Cannot Tell a Lie (Uncommon, Total)

20 Code Against Killing (Common, Total)

20 Honorable (Common, Total)

15 Overconfidence (Very Common, Moderate)

15 Fearless (Uncommon, Total)

15 In Love with Carrol Ferris (Common, Strong)

15 Extremely Competitive (Common, Strong)

15 DNPC: Pie (Normal, 14-); Skills: Useful, -5

15 DNPC: Carrol Ferris (Normal, 14-); Skills: Useful, -5

20 Responsibility of Power (Common, Total)

15 Hunted: Green Lantern Rogue's Gallery (11-); Capabilities: As Powerful, 10; Non-combat Influence: None, +0; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

15 Hunted: Justice League Enemies (11-); Capabilities: As Powerful, 10; Non-combat Influence: None, +0; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

15 Hunted: Flash Enemies (11-); Capabilities: As Powerful, 10; Non-combat Influence: None, +0; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

795 "My Fans Are A Jerk to Kyle" Bonus

OCV: 7; DCV: 7; ECV: 12; Mental Def.: 0; Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

PD/rPD: 62/54; ED/rED: 62/54

COSTS: Char.: 176 Disad.: 1020

Powers: + 994 Base: + 150

Total: = 1170 Total: = 1170

Name: Green Lantern - Kyle Rayner

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

18 DEX 24

20 CON 20

11 BODY 2

20 INT 10

25 EGO 30

15 PRE 5

14 COM 2

6 PD 3

6 ED 2

5 SPD 22

7 REC 0

40 END 0

29 STUN 0

Characteristic Rolls: STR: 12-, DEX: 13-, CON: 13-, INT: 13-, EGO: 14-, PER: 13-

Run: 6", Swim: 2", Jump: 3", Lift: 200kg

Cost Powers END/Roll

281 Power Ring Multipower (153-pt reserve); OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼

m-25 7d6 Entangle (DEF 7); Range: 960; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼ 19

m-25 14d6 Energy Blast; Range: 960; Versus: ED; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼ 19

m-25 7d6 Flash (Normal Sight); Range: 960; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼ 19

m-25 Force Wall (14 PD/14 ED); Range: 960; Width: 38", +0; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼ 19

m-56 Telekinesis (STR 95); Range: 2090; Manipulation: Fine, +10; OIF: -½; Variable Advantage: Max. Advantage ½, +1½; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼ 42

30 Power Ring "Computer" (Clairsentience) (Normal Sight); Only to Duplicate Knowledge Skills: -½; OIF: -½; See: Past, +20; Dimensions: Current, +0; Range: 200"; No Range Penalty: +½ 6

35 Lantern Battery: END Reserve REC (70/turn); OAF: -1

47 Power Ring: END Reserve (700 END, 0 REC/turn); OIF: -½

15 Variable Power Modify 19-

29 Power Ring Elemental Control (43-pt reserve); OIF: -½

a-29 43" Flight (NC: 86"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×2, +0; OIF: -½ 9

b-29 Force Field (43 PD/43 ED); OIF: -½ 9

149 Variable Power Pool (70-pt Pool); Control Cost: 35; Change Powers as 0 Phase Action: +1; Variable Special Effects: Certain Group, +¼

Cost Skills, Talents, Perks Roll

8 +1 level w/All Combat

5 +1 level w/Ranged Combat

5 +1 level w/DCV

2 Knowledge Skill: Painting 11-

3 Knowledge Skill: Drawing 13-

3 Knowledge Skill: Sculpture 13-

4 Knowledge Skill: Commercial Art and Design 14-

5 Justice League of America Membership

4 Contact: New Generation Green Lanterns; Usefulness: Very, +1 12-

3 Inventor (Ring Creations) 13-

3 Contact: Ex-Green Lanterns; Usefulness: Very, +1 11-

6 Contact: Justice League of America; Usefulness: Incredibly, +3 12-

4 Contact: Ganthet; Usefulness: Very, +1 12-

150+ Disadvantages

15 Secret Identity: Kyle Rayner

15 In Love with Jade (Common, Strong)

10 Watched: Ganthet (11-); Capabilities: More Powerful, 15; Non-combat Influence: None, +0; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Only Watching: ×½; Punishment: Harsh, 0

10 Reputation: The Emerald Avenger (11-)

20 Responsibility of Power (Common, Total)

15 Loves Being Creative With His Ring (Common, Strong)

10 Intimidated by his own Power (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Always Obeys Orders of Superiors (Very Common, Moderate)

20 Code Against Killing (Common, Total)

20 Honorable (Common, Total)

680 "Hal Jordan Fans Hate Me" Bonus

OCV: 6; DCV: 6; ECV: 8; Mental Def.: 0; Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

PD/rPD: 49/43; ED/rED: 49/43

COSTS: Char.: 125 Disad.: 830

Powers: + 855 Base: + 150

Total: = 980 Total: = 980

Having your PCs become members of something akin to the GL Corps might be fun and exciting (kind of like any entity-sponsored superheroes for hire scheme), but making them Green Lanterns is probably not a good idea. The GL power ring is potentially limitless in versatility, and as powerful as its wearer's willpower- which basically makes it a race between your players to the highest Ego allowed, or whatever other parameter you set (I like pinecone's idea very much).

One of the great things about Champs, the thing that it has over many RPGs, is that each character essentially has his own unique "class". Making everyone a GL (or other kind of uniform powerset) takes away much of that flexibility. At some points in a comic book oir other superhero story, a writer may throw around many different "versions" of a hero's powerset to get him through various scrapes. This plot device is in great danger of being overused by a GL player. Put a ring on everyone, and you've multiplied the chance of this happening and reduced the characters' ability to differentiate themselves.

Furthermore, while it's interesting to see a great group of GLs from many sectors flying together in loose formation, it is significantly less so to see them blasting something in tandem, or whatever.

The current GL series is coming to a close at the end of Ron Marz's (the man who killed Hal) run, I think it's issue 181. Then Captain Old-School, Geoff Johns, will run a mini-series featuring the return of Hal Jordan as a living man and how he will fit in the DC universe now. I could give a rat's ass who wears the ring, but it will be interesting to see Hal come back. I thought Oliver Queen Green Arrow should have stayed dead, but Jordan's cool.

I too am not well versed in Green Lantern lore. I've never collected GL (or the JLA for that matter) and all I can refer to is the Superfriends, which of course are not exactly the most accurate cartoons ever.

My question would be: Is it a true VPP? Could they literally do anything with the energy? Or is it basically limited to Force Fields, Telekineses-type effects, and Energy blasts?

Let's see, off the top of my head, summoning, teleportation, FTL flight, desolidification, life support useable by others, enhanced senses, ID movement. Strangest was transformation, one Green Lantern who felt that Hal Jordan was treating her as a child subconciously used her ring to age herself.

Almost forgot mind control, "I don't have time to take you to jail, find a policeman and turn yourself in." And Aid, boosting Aquaman's telepathy. And NND, used it to make a kryptonite beam to use against Superman.

Don't recall any Green Lantern useing the ring to create darkness or turning themselves invisable (invisability, obvious focus, um, how does that work?), not saying it didn't happen, just don't recall it happening.

So yes, given that wide variety of powers, I would say a VPP would be the way to go.

A old pal of mine built his version (very twinked out) like so:

The Ebony Knight

90pt VPP Cosmic+2 Limited Subset

TK, RKA, EB, Force Walls, Force Feilds, Transforms

45pt VPP Cosmic+2

Both Independent OIF MAX pool of EGOx3 on the big VPP and EGO x1.5 for the smaller one

EC

Armor Visible

Flight

Full Life Support

FTL

Ring Computer (Universal Translator and control of ring powers)

Hawksmoor

Don't recall any Green Lantern useing the ring to create darkness or turning themselves invisable (invisability, obvious focus, um, how does that work?), not saying it didn't happen, just don't recall it happening.

So yes, given that wide variety of powers, I would say a VPP would be the way to go.

I can't actually recall any uses of Darkness but Hal Jordan and Alan Scott routinely turned both their rings and power batteries invisible. Stands to reason that a skilled GL could do the same for his whole body.

Don't forget the ever-obnoxious power of extradimensional movement both between different dimensional barriers and even time-travel. Man, time travel with a ring whose charge lasts 24 hours makes my brain itch just thinking of relative chronal positioning.

Oh, and for some reason my favorite trick was the instachange to GL suit when you put on or activated the ring. So very very handy.

Having your PCs become members of something akin to the GL Corps might be fun and exciting (kind of like any entity-sponsored superheroes for hire scheme)' date=' but making them Green Lanterns is probably not a good idea. The GL power ring is potentially limitless in versatility, and as powerful as its wearer's willpower- which basically makes it a race between your players to the highest Ego allowed, or whatever other parameter you set (I like pinecone's idea very much).

One of the great things about Champs, the thing that it has over many RPGs, is that each character essentially has his own unique "class". Making everyone a GL (or other kind of uniform powerset) takes away much of that flexibility. At some points in a comic book oir other superhero story, a writer may throw around many different "versions" of a hero's powerset to get him through various scrapes. This plot device is in great danger of being overused by a GL player. Put a ring on everyone, and you've multiplied the chance of this happening and reduced the characters' ability to differentiate themselves.

Furthermore, while it's interesting to see a great group of GLs from many sectors flying together in loose formation, it is significantly less so to see them blasting something in tandem, or whatever.

True but this was going to be for a short term Champion's game. I was thinking that this would be the easiest on me and them just to try out a Champiom's style game and I really like the idea any other suggestions on how this could possibly work?

The current GL series is coming to a close at the end of Ron Marz's (the man who killed Hal) run' date=' I think it's issue 181. Then Captain Old-School, Geoff Johns, will run a mini-series featuring the return of Hal Jordan as a living man and how he will fit in the DC universe now. I could give a rat's ass who wears the ring, but it will be interesting to see Hal come back. I thought Oliver Queen Green Arrow should have stayed dead, but Jordan's cool.[/quote']

Hal Jordan is already back -- in JSA. He's been the Spectre (or is that Specter?), and in the latest story arc an old JSA villain, the Spirit King, has basically turned him back to human. Hal's apparently having problems making the "Spirit of Vengeance" submit to his will to be a spirit of redemption. And if Hal's having problems with his willpower, it doesn't seem likely hell stay the Spectre's (Specter's) host for long...

ETA: On-topic and also in the JSA, the original Green Lantern, Alan Scott, does a lot more with his own ring (which isn't from the Corps although it has a complicated and obscure backstory linking it to the Oans and the GLs).

Latest issue, fr'ex, has him Summoning a gang of shovel-wielding fellows to protect Hal Jordan. He and Kyle tend to be much more flexible in using their powers, especially compared to boring ol' John Stewart in Justice League on Cartoon Network.

True but this was going to be for a short term Champion's game. I was thinking that this would be the easiest on me and them just to try out a Champiom's style game and I really like the idea any other suggestions on how this could possibly work?

If you're looking for a short campaign that's an easy intro to Hero, I wouldn't recommend starting with a power level as high, and characters as insanely versatile, as the GLC. I'd maybe get one of the sourcebooks (I'm sure others are happy to recommend which... Steve?) with some pre-made characters. Or, if you prefer to create your own, at lower point costs it's easier than you think to build simple character concepts.

If you had your heart set on everyone having the same power source, I'd say do a GLC- style campaign. Say, a 350 pt. campaign, everyone has a "Cosmic Doohickey" (with a set, say, 100 pts worth of powers they must buy), then have everyone customize their characters with the remaining points.

Trying to create and run 1000 pt+ characters with an identical power source which includes VPPs, while ensuring each character has his own unique "flavour" is not, IMHO, a particularly easy way to start...

:)

If you're looking for a short campaign that's an easy intro to Hero, I wouldn't recommend starting with a power level as high, and characters as insanely versatile, as the GLC.

Trying to create and run 1000 pt+ characters with an identical power source which includes VPPs, while ensuring each character has his own unique "flavour" is not, IMHO, a particularly easy way to start...

:)

Righto, that's part of what I was trying to say. Let your players make up heroes to suit their own taste, and then put them on a government-sponsored superteam. Although it's pretty hackneyed as a team origin, it'll suit your need and purpose, giving them a clear code of conduct, person to report to, missions to fulfil, etc.

I agree with what has been said before. I personaly have a GL corps like entity called the Star Knights who are pretty much Light saber weilding Power armored guys.

As for what the ring can do in HERO terms, based on DC HEroes 3rd edition Mayfair games

A Computer

Universal Translater 18-

Flight/

22 FTL (2000xC)

Energy constructs*

Extra Body

Mind Scan (Only for other GL's)

VPP (Size based on Ego)

Eididic Memory

1d6 Healing (Regeneration)

Life support (all Safe enviroments & Self contained breathing)

Visible Armor (It stays up when KO'd)

Duplication Leaves body behind (Energy Construct of self)

* energy constructs, in the old DC Heroes game this was a power called Force Manipulation, in some ways it is best represented by a VPP in others it is a MP with EB, Force Wall, Telekinesis, etc... in it.

From what I've heard of the Star*Guard, I think you could make a decent space patrol organization by combining elements of the GLC, the Lensmen, and the Jedi. Basically, deemphasize the Cosmic Doohickey relative to the GL Ring, but keep it fairly powerful ( Starman's cosmic staff would be a good example, IMHO ). Emphasize the skills of the individual agent, so that even deprived of all advanced tech, he is still a formidable adversary.