Got my 'damaged' books today...

winterhawk

I ordered a couple of 'damaged' books from the Online Store today...and wow, I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting missing covers, upside down pages, inkblots, etc. and have two near perfect copies, with some almost imperceptable corner damage and a few pages with slightly off center margins. Good show, DOJ!

Re: Got my 'damaged' books today...

Kinda reminds me of these comercials I used to see for used office furniture.

Basically, it's just a couch, shot from floor level. A voice says "new". Then a vacuum slightly bumps it, and the voice say "used". The ad was for a warehouse that sold used office furniture for nearly half off the original prices.

Then again, maybe it's more like the "never been used, only been dropped once" sales speach!

I was expecting missing covers, upside down pages, inkblots, etc.

If we had books suffering from these problems (we don't), we wouldn't sell them. That's not worth even half off. We have to call them "damaged" because the distributors have sent them back to us due to minor dings and scrapes, but they don't have any significant defects. We wouldn't want to fob off truly defective books on our fans.

Steve's comments make me thing Hero is not using the same distributor the d20 companies I've bought from use.

My damaged Hero books are on average, in better shape than my 'mint and shrink wrapped when I bought them' d20 books...

Somebody in the chain of getting a book from printer through Hero and distributor and on to the store has very high standards.

On the other hand... some of the Hero books I've bought in the store were in worse shape than the damaged books I bought from Hero, leading me to suspect my local shop is not caring for its merchandise as it should (and it's only 10 blocks from Hero's offices - 1 mile up the hill, you'd think if any store in the world would have a concern for this, it would be that one ;)).

So I'm definately pleased with my catch from this sale.

Got mine today. Damaged? Took me a full minute of looking to see what was "damaged." Slightly scruffed Spine and corners. That's all.

Btw, Thanks Ben Seeman for packing a newpaper and a "Living with COPD" Flier :P

I got VIPER and MMM a few days ago. As far as "damage" goes, I think the spine was a little sharp (like the coating on the cover had a miniscule bit of flash) and beyond that, nothing. My FH had the lower corner bent a little, like could happen if I tossed it onto my bed and it hit my pillow a little too hard.

I'd just like to say that DoJ is one of, if not the, coolest companies with which I've ever had interaction. They totally rock.

If we had books suffering from these problems (we don't)' date=' we wouldn't sell them. That's not worth even half off. We have to call them "damaged" because the distributors have sent them back to us due to minor dings and scrapes, but they don't have any significant defects. We wouldn't want to fob off truly defective books on our fans.[/quote']

That's the fear that's been staying my hand.

Minor corner damage? A little wear-and-tear from shipping?

Nice. I'm gunno go buy me some books.

Thanks, Winterhawk!

Mine had the following problems:

HSVSB: Bottom was a little bent (like what might happen if you had it standing on a bookshelf and you put a small weight on it, and slight dog ear on bottom corner of cover (about .5 cm)

USPDB: Back cover looks like someone was not quite as careful with a blade when opening the box and managed to scratch (not cut) the back cover

UNTIL: has a small bit of the glossy spine ripped off (.75 cm squared), but the real spine underneith is fine

All others are slight scratches or dog ears...

Definatly worth the price, considering I am very hard on my books as is, and most of this damage would have happened with in a month of me owning it anyways...

I just got my books yesterday.

My copy of Sidekick just had some very minor spine damage, which amounts to a crease on the front cover, with a slight gouge in the lamination opposite it on the back cover.

With one or two other books, I'm not even sure what the "damage" is. The book I received that has the most obvious physical damage is still in great shape, in my opinion.

What a tremendous deal I got. Thanks!

If we had books suffering from these problems (we don't)' date=' we wouldn't sell them. That's not worth even half off. We have to call them "damaged" because the distributors have sent them back to us due to minor dings and scrapes, but they don't have any significant defects. We wouldn't want to fob off truly defective books on our fans.[/quote']

Sounds great! :thumbup:

I was afraid of books with loose pages, and stuff like that.

I might be wrong, but it might help raise the 'damaged book' sales if there were some kind of definition of what you mean with 'damaged book'. :think:

Got mine today. Damaged? Took me a full minute of looking to see what was "damaged." Slightly scruffed Spine and corners. That's all.

Btw, Thanks Ben Seeman for packing a newpaper and a "Living with COPD" Flier :P

I love the COPD flyer.. :)

Is this sale still going?

Yes, though I believe we're already out of some titles. Of course, that may change with the very next distributor shipment, but you can never tell. And of course at some point we'll have freed up enough shelf space to go back to the standard price for "damaged" books. So, buy early and often. :hex:

It's a shame there weren't damaged copies of Gadgets and Gear and Crooks, Kooks, and Cookie Monsters (I can't remember the title, but you guys know what I mean). I probably would've bought those in addition to the 5 books I already ordered.

It's a shame there weren't damaged copies of Gadgets and Gear and Crooks' date=' Kooks, and Cookie Monsters (I can't remember the title, but you guys know what I mean). I probably would've bought those in addition to the 5 books I already ordered.[/quote']

Like Steve said. Our stock is always changing. What were out of now, can change tomorrow.

They won't be half-priced for very much longer' date=' though. Once we're through the sale the books will return to their customary "$5 off," still a fine bargain for what everyone agrees are perfectly usable books. Thanks to everyone who helped us clear the space! dw[/quote']

Based on the 5 books I just got, I would agree that even $5 off is a fine bargain indeed, with the possible exception of my copy of the UNTIL Superpowers Database--which had more significant damage than the other books, but is still in fine and serviceable shape.

I'm certainly satisfied with my purchases.