Acro is bored

Acroyear

Therefore...

The first response to this thread gets a free character illo.

I enjoy drawing, but am notoriously bad at drawing for drawing's sake. I like to have a goal first. So gimme something to draw.

Rules: First response here wins.

What you get: A pencil illustration of a character of your choice. Be aware - I'm better at human looking people, but will try most things. I'm only offering a single character illo with no background. The illo probably won't blow your socks off or alter your life, but I'm better than some stuff out there. I'm also not going to rush right off and do it. It'll probably be a couple weekdays before I get off my butt enough to actually scan it and clean it up, or it could be an hour. Who knows?

What you agree to: The illo will be posted here. Anyone who wants to can snag it for their own, personal, nonprofit use. Any usage where it might be publicly viewed (such as a web page) NEEDS to give credit where credit is due. Such as art by (me) and costume concept by (the winner).

What I will need from you: A description. The more detail the better. Feel free to use common reference points ("pointed boots like Batman's") if there are any. If you have a costume sketch or something, all the better. This is a one shot deal, no revisions.

If I'm still bored afterwards, I might offer to do another for the next in line (no promises). Maybe one of our many local colorin' type folks might offer to color the pencils...

Thanks in advance for assisting in my chronocide. :)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Acro is bored

Oooh! Oooh! Me me me!

I would love a good pic of my pulp character, Jack O'Lantern.

Gotta run for dinner, will post/send you details if I am the lucky winner! :king:

OK - here's a pic attached.

1930's Mob-buster. Marvel's Green Goblin/Hobgoblin/Jack O'Lantern as a hero. Acrobatic, acts crazy but is really a very calculating, careful planner. Tries to scare criminals (because everyone knows criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot who fear bats, spiders, owls, and flaming pumpkins!). Variety of weapons/gadgets - sword (cutlass), pumpkin-bombs, throwing bat-blades, bat-bombs (one end sticks to target, cord leads to squeaking, mechanical bat that reels in to target before exploding), spider-shaped grappling hook, smoke-bombs, etc. - big bag of "tricks". Fake-fire flaming pumpkin helmet. Cape/cloak - used to baffle opponent's weapons, can be used to glide short distances, hood can snuff the helmet's "flame" for sneaking around. Gloves and buccaneer boots like Captain America, reinforced for extra whomp. Micro-chainmail costume (ie the black parts on the arms and legs). Tunic/vest and big belt.

If you do this guy, thanks! If you want any more info, let me know!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH!!! Happy Halloween!!!! :celebrate

Well if you do decide to do another perhaps I am second.

What I will need from you: A description. The more detail the better. Feel free to use common reference points ("pointed boots like Batman's") if there are any. If you have a costume sketch or something, all the better. This is a one shot deal, no revisions.

I have a super mage named Enigma. He is about 6' tall with average build. He wears a skin tight body suit with lighter colored trunks (kind of a cod-piece thing) that features a silver mystical-looking buckle. He has a mask/cowl sort of like Batman's that leaves only his lower face explosed (nose and up is covered). The eyes appear as white voids. Over all of this he wears a black cloak and hood. He has buckoneer style gloves and boots (see Capt. America), the boots are black and the gloves are the same color as the cod-piece. He carries a staff that is topped with a small skull whose eyes seem to glow.

I have attached a sketch I made using one of those online character art programs. It is very generic looking and I could not put a skull on top of the staff.

Tsk. That doesn't jibe with the whole supervillain thing I have going on.

After my girlfriend freaked out over the drawing I did of her City of Heroes character, I'm just in the mood. I have nothing to draw for myself, so... I'll make use of people here. Yes, my little pawnlings, you are but mere resources to me. Muwahahahaha. Ha.

I have no idea how many I'll do and if I get this job I have an interview for on the 30th, I'll have less time to be bored (and will start looking at playing again! - but need to find folks to play with).

Thanks, SS.

Is that picture traced from the old Dr. Midnite Who's Who entry? (I have this bizarre pose recognition "skill"). Like hisowl is landing on his arm or something?

Anywho... babbling.

Got it in one!

BTW, what I've seen of your work, I really like. Nth Man's pic is going to end up as a villain in one of my games...

I got it pretty much doodled out while I ate dinner. I'm not liking the foreshortening I'm attempting, so it'll likely be heavily shadowed in the black areas :P Or I'll start over. We'll see what I feel like.

My art is usually "poses" to display costumes (we all know my long running "arg!" about current game art) - the intention is to show what the character's costume looks like, not his face, not his upper body... his whole costume. As such, I very rarely draw wild action poses (which simply distorts or covers up too much with all the flailing limbs and stuff). Add to that the rarity of my sitting down to draw, I never know what I'll get. lol. Thanks to the more simple style of Jack's costume (that means, no stripes and doodads every-friggin'-where) I'm attempting to put more action into this one.

And see? We got a free colorist volunteer just that fast :)

Woo-hoo! Some old quotes -

"You see, the Shadow knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men. Me - I gotta open 'em up to see." - Jack

(after getting accidentally shot in the back by another PC - an Australian with a shotgun) "You're not allowed to have that anymore. You don't have a mask - you're not a professional. See, the Phantom has a mask - his guns even have little skulls on them. He's a professional. Get yourself a mask, a boomerang, maybe a trained kangaroo, then we'll talk." - Jack

(sorry, just excited) :rockon:

Woo-hoo! Thanks Acroyear!

Love it. It's even got cliche'! :)

(don't worry about the cape Court Fool-the "Witchfire" is a chemical compound he developed that gives off light, but no heat - handy, eh? :winkgrin: )

Great job capturing him. In motion, great work on the head, love the bomb, love the sword, the bag poking out, the chainmail effect...hell, everything!

How would you like your credits to read?

Thanks again for being bored!

schir1964 - if you're still planning on coloring - 1) Thanks! 2) of course feel free to play around w/colors, esp. on the chest. I've done a green-vested one before also.

Forget Christmas in July; it's Halloween in August! :celebrate

I can't attach images to the email field through the boards, so Schir & SS, get your email addies to me. I don't do that crazy 600dpi thing, though. :P 150 prints plenty good, imo.

Looking forward to the colors...

If used, credit should read "J.J. Mason"

Sweet! Schir' date=' how would you like your coloring credits?[/quote']Christopher Mullins is sufficient. (8^D)

However, that was my initial try. I followed the original pic as closely as I could.

I there anything you might like better?

Blacker Cape?

Different background?

Different shading?

I've parsed all the pieces of clothing, so making changes to it are relatively simple.

- Christopher Mullins