What would your character do? #70

Marcus Impudite

Devilfire is a fire using villain who gets his powers from the reminant of a fire demon that has partially possessed his body. A classic Jeckal and Hyde split personality, the demon and human halves of Devilfire are constantly vying for control.

During a recent encounter with Devilfire in which he is seriously injuried, you witness his demonic half seperate from his human half and restore itself to a full fledged demon! Weaken by his injuries and the loss of lifeforce when the fire demon abandoned him and fled into the night, DF has lapsed into a coma and is getting weaker by the minute. Assuming someone in the party takes the time to unmask him, you are shocked to find out Devilfire is (or was) Greg Anderson, a college student who works as an assistant manager at a restaurant you (one of your teammates) frequents.

how do you handle this?

Re: What would your character do? #70

Starguard -- given that she's pretty much a walking fountain of white mana, she'll just pump some massive healing juice into the poor fallen man (and do her best to purge the demonic tie) while her teammates go *splat* the demon. Congrats, Greg, you're cured. :)

Dr. Pain -- hand the poor guy over to the paramedics and go wrestle the demon down.

Baron von Darien -- again, get the man put on life support to buy him some more time, and go slaughter some demons.

And he's lucky that the Baron swore an oath before God to avoid harming the innocent, or he might very well have solved the problem simply by snapping Greg's neck.

Nova- administer healing on Greg, lock him someplace safe, then go out to battle and destroy the demon. Then come back and investigate about the situation better: If it turns out Greg was an innocent victim, congratulate him for being free of the taint of evil, maybe give him some boon (eg Transforming some of his possessions to gold or diamond). If it appears Greg was a willing accomplice to the demon, judge the situation according to the demon's deeds: a severe beating and stern admonition to behave if it caused minor harm. If the demon had much innocent blood on his hands, or it was a clear danger to security of the Earth (eg trying to stage a demonic invasion) then summary execution.

Menagerie:Wouldn't care. Gregg is just a weak baseline that tried to intimidate his superiors. If he had attacked her, she could destroy him for his impudence. The demon half would be more problematic as it would bring up some long repressed religous issues for her. She wouldn't admit her fear but would be terrified of it.

Pinnacle: Probably assume Gregg was a possesion victim and rush to him medical treatment. Then she could find a priest or theologian, bone up on her demon lore and go a demon huntin'

Stopwatch: A Demon!? A demon from, like, Hell!? No...way. *poof* she's gone as fast of her temporally accelerated feet will carry her.

Gaia: Destroy both the human (he is tainted) and the demon (It embodies taint).

, the demon and human halves of Devilfire are constantly vying for control.

Assuming someone in the party takes the time to unmask him, you are shocked to find out Devilfire is (or was) Greg Anderson, a college student who works as an assistant manager at a restaurant you (one of your teammates) frequents.

how do you handle this?

Mask of Justice: The first priority is getting Mr. Anderson to a hospital. It's not as though that demon is going to be able to hide very well. Not from the Mask of Justice.

Rock Bottom: Since his teammate Bandita is the paramedic, he's going to hand the civilian over to her for treatment while he goes off to squash the demon.

Calculus: He'll be reading up on how to fight/destroy demons; and this just makes it easier. Good thing his teammate Omnipresent is a doctor!

Kira Midori: The first priority is getting Mr. Anderson to a hospital, unless Kira's precognition shows that the demon is going to start killing immediately. She'll also do a quick mental probe to check what the relationship is between the two, especially looking for any way to neutralize the demon without killing the human host.

Talion: "Rough day for you too, huh?" If there's anyone else who can take charge of Mr. Anderson, Talion will pass off the responsibility to them. His powers are best suited to dealing with the demon.

I notice no other character, except Nova, has suspected that Greg might be a willing accomplice of the demon. I wonder if it is because they have not had extensive contact with DEMON, or organizations or solo mystical villains with a similar M.O.

I notice no other character' date=' except Nova, has suspected that Greg might be a willing accomplice of the demon. I wonder if it is because they have not had extensive contact with DEMON, or organizations or solo mystical villains with a similar M.O.[/quote']

Part of the problem is that we are told a lot about the situation at the beginning of the thread. It is unclear if we are aware of there being a Jeckyl/Hyde situation. Since it was stated at the beginning, it isn't necessarily unreasonable for us to assume that it is either an unwilling situation, or a situation that got out of Greg's control.

Part of the problem is that we are told a lot about the situation at the beginning of the thread. It is unclear if we are aware of there being a Jeckyl/Hyde situation. Since it was stated at the beginning' date=' it isn't necessarily unreasonable for us to assume that it is either an unwilling situation, or a situation that got out of Greg's control.[/quote']

Oh yes, I'd missed that Jeckyl/Hyde bit. However, since IC Nova would not likely know, he'd act the same, checking facts after demon is neutralized.

Ghost Archer:

I think in this case my primary concern is the 'repossession' of the 'victim'. I'm not the magical expert in the team, far from it and much to the disappointment of my mother. If I am not within a quick response by Crusader I suppose I would stablize the guy and transport him to a church to protect him from 'repossession'. I think as a precaution I would entangle the victim to prevent his departure from the church in the event he was a willing host. I would request Crusader get to the site as quickly as possible and once more save a lost soul.

Once this was done, hunting down the demon would be very high on the 'to do' list. Though I have had considerable experience with demons and even associate with a half demon, they are an unknown quantity. I would stay in close contact with the local churches, mainly Catholic as they seem to draw demons, and listen out for unusal 'manifestations'. Demon hunting can be a long process and I would have to work fast to reduce the chance of deaths and other heinous crimes commited by this creature.

Microman II: Would look oddly at the situation, scan databanks for relevant files, and then defer to the more highly qualified teammates on this matter. If he needs mundane, as well as/in addition to magical healing, I might be able to manage something ( hmm, new multipower slot. . . ).

As for the side issue, impression I got is that while the initial possession *may* have been willing, it was not a deed done with full knowledge of the consequences and the kid has probably been doing whatever he could to contain and control it.

That said, one possible side issue is that Microman may object to an automatic plan of "Kill the demon," though not as much as to plans involving automatic assumptions of "Kill the undead" or "Kill the robot."

How do you handle this?

Peacekeeper's Response: After performing a quick risk assesment, Peacekeeper determines that it is the demon that is of greatest concern, and attempts pursuit, sirens blazing. While pursuing the demon, Peacekeeper contacts his teammates (if he's functioning as a member of the Jet City Sentinals) or local emergancy services (if he's going solo) to take care of Anderson. If his teammates are unsure of what to do with Anderson, Peacekeeper would strongly suggest that Anderson be turned over tot he local police authority to be held for trial for his crimes. Anderson may have not been responsible for his actions at the time, but that is a matter to be decided in a court of law.

Iron Demon's Response: After performing a quick risk assesment, Iron Demon determines that it is the demon that is of greatest concern, and attempts pursuit on the Demon Glider. While pursuing the demon, Iron Demon contacts members of the Night Court (a Guardian Angels type group, composed of reformed gang members, led by the Demon) to take care of Anderson. Anderson will be taken to a safe house, treated, interrogated, and if the Demon feels he wasn't in control at the time, he'll be dropped off at home (or a hospital, depending on the extent of hsi injuries) witha warning to keep his nose clean. If Iron Demon determines that Anderson is likely to recombine with the fire demon (if, for example, this is the third or fourth time this has happened), Iron Demon executes Anderson and buries him in the Boneyard.

Of my characters, Kira's the only one who could have a reliable chance of knowing (thanks to her mind probe) whether Greg is a willing accomplice or not, and that's one of the reasons for said mind probe. The rest have to go by the Jeckyll/Hyde behavior.

Blackcat - A phase of Healing (due to Ch'i) 8 dice should stabalize him, then off to trash the demon beastie.

Ballistic - A phase od Healing (due to magic) 6 dice should stabalize him, then off to trash the demon beastie

Terminal Velocity - pick him up and run with superspeed (4 Km/sec) to the nearest hospitcal. Then start scanning for the demon beastie, and calling in his teammates.

Cyrande would look disconcerted, leave the human to Starguard, and capture the demon for questioning and very painful extermination.

(She has very historical knowledge about demons, but never actually has heard of one as is. And possesion is completely out of her experience.)

Husky would instruct Sidekick to stabilize the victim and then go off and beat up the demon. After defeating the demon he'd pick up Sidekick and transform into Kenneth.

Kenneth would hit the lab and examine the data collected by Husky's gauntlets and Sidekick. While magic intrigues him he prefers to stick to science.

Special Agent Trent: get Greg to a hospital ASAP, preferably one with experience in super-medicine. Next, contact the local authorities on the occult and exchange information. He'd also check the FBI's database for information on the demon. Then he'd tag along with whoever was hunting the demon, and complain about super-phenomenon interfering with his life.

Zeropoint

Cannis is startled. Though she probably would assume that he was some sort of spirit rather than a demon. After all, she knows one vengeance spirit already. So it would makes sense if there were fire spirits too.

Unless Devilfire had badly injured or killed one of her packmates or one of her dog companions, she probably would pause long enough to do some emergency first aid on Greg and if she has access to a phone, call an ambulance.

She does not go after the Demon unless she has a good reason to do so. (Innocents being threatened is not a good enough reason). She might remain long enough to watch the city’s heroes fight it. After all, she might gain some useful information and it might give her a chance to pay back one of those favors she owes. Or maybe get one of the heroes owing her a favor—which could come in handy someday.

Sailor Io is used to innocent people being possessed by evil spirits. She’d probably feel furious with herself about losing the Healing Moon Wand when she was captured by Vash. But wouldn’t let the feeling of guilt delay her for more than a moment. She’d have Sailor Saturn heal the fallen human while Io and the rest of the scouts went after the demon.

Once the Demon was defeated, she and the others would go back to their rooms to plan. They would be expecting to see more possessed people showing up. Io would begin packing her gloop gun (entangle) again. And would work with the team mystic to see if they could either find a technological or magical or both way to return the victims to normal without having to seriously injure them.

how do you handle this?

Cobalt: Immediately notify the Japanese consolute. If this works at a resteraunt Cobalt/Ken Yoshida frequents, then he must be a Japanese immigrant and subject to all sorts of laws concerning the use of superpowers on foriegn soil and needs the consolate for protection.

Vantage: If she's female, he'll nurse he back to health and ask her out. If he's male, take him to the nearest hospital and report that he was a victim of Devilfire.

Zectron: Take him to the hospital and call the resteraunt in an attempt to explain the person's inexplicable absense. Zectron hates to see people lose their jobs because of things like possession. It's just not fair.