Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I really f'n hate Qwest.

-- typical example of Qwest's SOP snipped for brevity --

You have my sympathy. I used to have to deal with Qwest regularly as part of my job when I worked at a local ISP in Denver.

I'll assume that cable internet connectivity is not an option where you are. If it is, I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Pretty much any multimedia company these days behaves that way, or similarly. Google "Comcast sucks" sometime to get some amusing stories (and some frightening ones). AT&T and its subsidiaries are giving worse service for higher prices, and cable prices are steadily rising. Even places that don't have monopolies are seeing cost rising while service suffers.

Your experience isn't unique, bunnyman. I wish it were. :(

Pretty much any multimedia company these days behaves that way' date=' or similarly. [/quote']

Make that any company with a customer service department.

When we had the "sit down with the CEO" luncheon couple weeks back, Del (our CEO) told us a story about the board of directors. Apparently, the board wanted to get our overhead down from 12% to 11%, and thought a great way to do this was to gut the number of people in writer/publisher relations (our customer service division). "Less people could do more by using email and voice mail."

Now, we work for the songwriters and publishers. That's the reason we exist, and we don't do anything else. And, the board wanted to cut the people that talk to the people that keep us in business to save a percent in overhead.

"Hi, I have questions on my statement, why didn't I get paid for X?"

"I'm sorry, you've reached customer service, please leave a message at the prompt and the first available rep will get back to you. Welcome to phone tag hell."

We have people that leave the other guys for us because of the customer service we provide, and they want to cut that.

Idjits.

D

Unfortunately, the death that is the wages of the "cut customer service" sin, happens after the execs/directors who initiate the plan are gone. Strip-mining (or, perhaps better, slash-and-burn) the company's service base takes a few few years to hit the bottom line, by which time the FIGMO's who are modern business leaders have taken their checks and run.

A lot of this would be taken care of if directors and execs were paid normal salaries with bonuses paid in options that mature in 3, 5, and 10 years, but being FIGMOs in bed with each other, that's not going to happen.

Well, my problem has been fixed, and you know what?

I'm still angry.

They could have solved this situation in 15 minutes. They could've sent out a tech after the first time we called, he would've seen what the problem was and fixed it -- in 15 minutes.

Had they done so two weeks ago, I would have been nothing but pleased, and they would have a customer for life. Since, instead, it took them two weeks to get the damned problem resolved, I'm going to be mad at them for a long while.

As soon as we get some competition out here, they're gone.

:mad:

Well, my problem has been fixed, and you know what?

I'm still angry.

They could have solved this situation in 15 minutes. They could've sent out a tech after the first time we called, he would've seen what the problem was and fixed it -- in 15 minutes.

Had they done so two weeks ago, I would have been nothing but pleased, and they would have a customer for life. Since, instead, it took them two weeks to get the damned problem resolved, I'm going to be mad at them for a long while.

As soon as we get some competition out here, they're gone.

:mad:

If you don't mind me asking, what was the problem?

Unfortunately, the death that is the wages of the "cut customer service" sin, happens after the execs/directors who initiate the plan are gone. Strip-mining (or, perhaps better, slash-and-burn) the company's service base takes a few few years to hit the bottom line, by which time the FIGMO's who are modern business leaders have taken their checks and run.

A lot of this would be taken care of if directors and execs were paid normal salaries with bonuses paid in options that mature in 3, 5, and 10 years, but being FIGMOs in bed with each other, that's not going to happen.

FIGMO? :confused:

Maybe some people' date=' to satisfy their curiosity as to why Cap was going on trial in the first place. [b']I[/b] certainly don't.

They've put Speedball in a freak suit. I don't even know what to call that, other than sick and weird. And I'm weird, so that's sayin' something.

Turns out the guy who was supposed to hook up the DSL service in the first place didn't. I don't know the details, not being a phone guy, but apparently our phone box outside had DSL wires connected to nothing. 15 minute fix. The guy showed up, said, "Oh, it's not hooked up!" and hooked it up.

2 weeks back and forth on the phone with these idiots. F'n morons. :mad:

Fortunately, being "not for profit" means that explaining that,

"Sure, while 90% of the money goes to the 10% of people that have their own account rep, so cutting the people that talk to the other 90% seems like a good idea. But, we want not only to keep Toby Keith, but get the next Toby Keith as well. In order to make money for everyone, we need to keep that next Toby Keith happy too." can stick. If the reason the board is pushing is to get more money to songwriters, keeping songwriters to pay is a good thing.

And we're keeping the coffee stations too. Not that I drink coffee, but having tea provided is nice too.

:cheers:

D