Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

We had a full weekend planned, but my wife canceled it because she felt overbooked. Then she came up with a bunch of things she wants to do since we now have a free weekend. Now my weekend is overbooked. WTF?

Doc

Thus illustrating the huge difference in how we see "stuff to do" and "stuff *I* want to do".

hmm. If i got a class of mine scheduled so it met three days a week' date=' on wednesdays, thursdays, and fridays, then it would be (the way they do abbreviations around here) a wtf class. I could reinforce the effect by having it meet at 8am. Hmm.[/quote']

8 pm

Iron Tramp: Caught by the Nazis during WWII' date=' Charlie Chaplin builds a suit of mechanical armor - complete with cane and derby - and manages to escape. He takes the suit back to England where it's mass produced, turning the tide of the war.[/quote']

Wouldn't this go in the Genre Crossover thread?

Lucius Alexander

Random palindromedary

What the heck is "quarter of"? As in:

"Hey, what time is it?"

"It's a quarter of eight."

A ... quarter ... of ... ? Does that mean it's 15 minutes before eight, or 15 minutes after eight?

Before, i.e., 7:45. "Quarter after eight" is 8:15.

What the heck is "quarter of"? As in:

"Hey, what time is it?"

"It's a quarter of eight."

A ... quarter ... of ... ? Does that mean it's 15 minutes before eight, or 15 minutes after eight?

Before' date=' i.e., 7:45. "Quarter after eight" is 8:15.[/quote']

Really? I would have deduced that it would mean 7:15. A quarter of something = 1/4 of that something. For an hour that would be 15 minutes. Thus 7:15. But I guess it is one of those odd, old carryovers -- like the English system of measurements.

Really? I would have deduced that it would mean 7:15. A quarter of something = 1/4 of that something. For an hour that would be 15 minutes. Thus 7:15. But I guess it is one of those odd' date=' old carryovers -- like the English system of measurements.[/quote']

I think it was originally said as "Quarter until 8", meaning 7:45. Or it could have been "quarter short of 8", which quickly became "quarter of 8". Not to be confused with pieces of 8.

Doc

I think it was originally said as "Quarter until 8", meaning 7:45. Or it could have been "quarter short of 8", which quickly became "quarter of 8". Not to be confused with pieces of 8.

Doc

Pieces of 8? The search for the money tree?

...Don't cash your freedoms in for gold! :tsk:

Doc

That's a good explanation. And it even makes sense! ;)