Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Four years of Catholic high school, I got really good with ties. I even had a few jobs over the years where ties were mandatory: 2 years at Radio Shack, and a few months subcontracting for EDS. I also donned ties many times during the 10-years I went through 15 jobs: lots of job interviews and job fairs.

My present job of the past 4 years used to require ties when the Board of Directors were in-the-house (about once a year), but they let that slide a while ago.

Ick. :idjit:

I may be conservative, but I am (apparently) a rare type -- I am not religious at all.

Why is it that the Über-religious (apparently) get to define "conservatism" as "conservative *and* religious", like they are inseparable?

not sure, but my brother who is VERY religious was quite upset about this. It's how I found out. I'm neither.

not sure' date=' but my brother who is VERY religious was quite upset about this. It's how I found out. I'm neither.[/quote']

Yea, I think it's not a representative sample of religious types contributing to that. Frankly, I'm surprised that conservapedia still exists. (Why I'm surprised, not sure, after all Time cube is out there)

Though that they were happy to be mentioned by the Colbert report made me snicker.

I know that I, in theory, still have a few ties.

Somewhere in my closet.

A couple in different MacAoidh tartans (Modern and Weathered), A Black Watch one that predates getting my proper colors (Great Uncle Reggie served as a Piper in the 42nd Highlanders, so I've got a fond connection anyway) and a couple others.

Haven't worn any of 'em in years.

Just about ain't happening.

'Specially not for no job.

Anyone who is prone to require me to wear a tie is someone who's not going to appreciate me for my marketable strengths anyway.

I was self employed way too many years to ever run that race again. I can make good money on my own, I don't need a tie type job, thakyewverramuch.

I agree about cravats (Have a repro of a Victorian Guide to the Cravat for Gentlemen hanging on my wall o'er yonder) and have even been seen in public in a jabot on more than on occasion (You really need the right outfit to pull them off. On my project list is making myself a leather Montrose doublet, which requires on of the bloody things. They're not quite as silly if you're totted up in the right kit to go with them, and I'll take Scots Black-tie over normal formal wear any day of the week.

But I mostly had to chime in because I've not heard mention of my option of preference, which happened to come up in a conversation on the same topic last week.

"Nahh, I don't wear ties. Don't like them and besides... Ties are a fashionable civilian devolution from what was originally a soldiers neck-cloth. I already wear the original, so why do I need to bother with it's useless bastard offspring just to please some self important idiot?"

Neckerchiefs, bandannas, scarves.... I'm into practical neckwear.

(and yes, Jabots are practical neckwear. If you can pull one off, the ladies like them)

Ties were banned at my last place of employment. They are discouraged at my current place of employment, unless visiting an uptight east coast customer.

Honestly, I can't even tie a necktie. I've tried.

Cravats are neat, but you can't take off your jacket and leave the cravat on, it'd look silly. As opposed of course to jabots which look silly 24/7 unless you are also wearing a powdered wig and are on the grounds at the Ren Faire.

Actually, you can take your jacket off while wearing a cravat. Either you have a vest (waistcoat) on with the ends of the cravat tucked into that, or you tuck the ends into your shirtfront to keep them contained. Or you let the ends dangle, if you think you can pull off the look. Another option is to simply tie the cravat in another knot that uses up more of the fabric and looks more like a bow tie if you expect to need to take your jacket off.

And most Ren Faires are set before the powered wig set came into fashion.

Doc

I agree about cravats (Have a repro of a Victorian Guide to the Cravat for Gentlemen hanging on my wall o'er yonder) and have even been seen in public in a jabot on more than on occasion (You really need the right outfit to pull them off. On my project list is making myself a leather Montrose doublet' date=' which requires on of the bloody things. They're not quite as silly if you're totted up in the right kit to go with them, and I'll take Scots Black-tie over normal formal wear any day of the week.[/quote']

I should think that you should be able to use a lace cravat instead of a jabot. After all, a jabot is basically the clip-on version of the lace cravat. Once they didn't have to tie it anymore, they just got more ostentatious in how the jabot was decorated.

Doc

I may be conservative, but I am (apparently) a rare type -- I am not religious at all.

Why is it that the Über-religious (apparently) get to define "conservatism" as "conservative *and* religious", like they are inseparable?

Religiosity is the devil's work. Yes, that's right, Vondy just said that. It freaks a good many of my coreligionists out when I say it. I am a Jew. I learn Torah. I do Torah. I am fully observant and am known to be hardass-strict about many rites and requirements. I do not identify as being religious, however. I am interested in accurate principles and informed action. The genuine article. The identity, culture, and mindset that stems from religiosity, however, all too often proves to be insular, backward, exclusionary and often operates on a distorted tradition that amounts to folklore rather than fact. Without an extensive explanation, the religious world (Jewish) has replaced achieving the ends of the Torah with the maintenance of diaspora identities and muddled paradigms. I'm not religious. I'm just pursuing the goals of the Torah.

Eh, I've known a number of conservatives who were not religious. And a much greater number of highly religious people who were not conservative. The fact that there has been a recent tendency to conflate the two in American politics doesn't mean that one naturally follows from the other.

I had a FTF discussion with someone who said they'd vote for a Democrat when they stopped trying to take away his guns.

I replied I'd vote for a Republican when they stopped trying to force me to become a Baptist.

And yes, I consider both those to be equally fair distortions of the two groups.

I had a FTF discussion with someone who said they'd vote for a Democrat when they stopped trying to take away his guns.

I replied I'd vote for a Republican when they stopped trying to force me to become a Baptist.

And yes, I consider both those to be equally fair distortions of the two groups.

I wouldn't disagree with you. I've seen democrats question whether someone could really be considered a democrat if they didn't support what amounted to draconian gun control legislation. And I've seen republicans question whether someone could really be considered a republican if they weren't religious. But I agree that those are pretty distorted viewpoints. I've also known registered democrats who were gun owners, and registered republicans who were atheists.

I wouldn't disagree with you. I've seen democrats question whether someone could really be considered a democrat if they didn't support what amounted to draconian gun control legislation. And I've seen republicans question whether someone could really be considered a republican if they weren't religious. But I agree that those are pretty distorted viewpoints. I've also known registered democrats who were gun owners' date=' and registered republicans who were atheists.[/quote']

But have you known registered atheists who owned republicans or democrats?

But have you known registered atheists who owned republicans or democrats?

Yeah but they paid out the yin-yang to keep em bribed.

Nah. Too hard to housebreak.

Not to mention risking rabies, as both are constantly foaming at the mouth and fighting.

I know that I, in theory, still have a few ties.

Somewhere in my closet.

A couple in different MacAoidh tartans (Modern and Weathered), A Black Watch one that predates getting my proper colors (Great Uncle Reggie served as a Piper in the 42nd Highlanders, so I've got a fond connection anyway) and a couple others.

Haven't worn any of 'em in years.

Just about ain't happening.

'Specially not for no job.

Anyone who is prone to require me to wear a tie is someone who's not going to appreciate me for my marketable strengths anyway.

I was self employed way too many years to ever run that race again. I can make good money on my own, I don't need a tie type job, thakyewverramuch.

I agree about cravats (Have a repro of a Victorian Guide to the Cravat for Gentlemen hanging on my wall o'er yonder) and have even been seen in public in a jabot on more than on occasion (You really need the right outfit to pull them off. On my project list is making myself a leather Montrose doublet, which requires on of the bloody things. They're not quite as silly if you're totted up in the right kit to go with them, and I'll take Scots Black-tie over normal formal wear any day of the week.

But I mostly had to chime in because I've not heard mention of my option of preference, which happened to come up in a conversation on the same topic last week.

"Nahh, I don't wear ties. Don't like them and besides... Ties are a fashionable civilian devolution from what was originally a soldiers neck-cloth. I already wear the original, so why do I need to bother with it's useless bastard offspring just to please some self important idiot?"

Neckerchiefs, bandannas, scarves.... I'm into practical neckwear.

(and yes, Jabots are practical neckwear. If you can pull one off, the ladies like them)

I've always been a fan of bowties myself. I was watching the new Doctor Who episodes at a friend's house yesterday and remarked that the 11th Doctor's dress style would be a good look for me. My friends disagreed. My sister doesn't think so either. :(

For work.

I wear a tie......

Oh I get it now, ths is another 'Bazza has a go at the Tribble jibes'.

Fine.

Bring it on

I say, Bring It On !!!!!!

On the contrary. Where i live in the tropics it is too hot most of the time to wear a tie, Darwin is very 'laid back' ie casual.

You wear a tie to work? I wear clothes. That was the jibe at the Tribble. ;):P