Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

What's a UPP?

Universal Personal Profile.

Essentially, the character's Stats (Characteristics) presented as a hexadecimal string. Also used for planets to summarize their 'stats'. (Although then it was Universal Planetary Profile).

You miss that? One thing I don't miss about original Traveller was the fetish for forms and bureaucracy. I deal with enough bureaucracy IRL thanks, I don't need that to be so obviously extended to my RPG. Not to mention the mindset that your character can be reduced to an 8 byte string.

You miss that? One thing I don't miss about original Traveller was the fetish for forms and bureaucracy. I deal with enough bureaucracy IRL thanks' date=' I don't need that to be so obviously extended to my RPG.[/quote']

I miss the shorthand for characteristic numbers. I didn't say anything about the rest of the system.

Not to mention the mindset that your character can be reduced to an 8 byte string.

As for reducing a character to an 8 byte string, the UPP didn't do that. It just allowed you to jot down the values for characteristics in shorthand. You still had to have your skills/values jotted down. Mechanically, that's all there was to the character unless you had psionics or some such. It was a bare-bones old school system. The critical parts of the character: personality, background, appearance, history weren't handled mechanically. If you wanted to write it down you could. Or not. Nor did I say I missed Classic Traveller. Just the UPP. Writing out sixteen abbreviations and two digit values on top of all the other codified information isn't exactly a picnic, either.

Nah' date=' there are still many places on Earth that I'd like to see. Afterall who wants to go see a barren desert when one can go swimming in the Dead Sea?[/quote'] If I wanted to see a barren desert I'd go to Western Australia (not that far from me)