Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

On 11/26/2023 at 5:07 PM, Bazza said:

(Anyone know how to quote a post in a different thread?)

Sort of.  You can go to the other thread, right click to copy the post's body to your clipboard, then go to where you want to put it, drop the copied material in the body of your post, highlight it and use the quote tool (to the left of the link paperclip and right of the spoiler eyeball) and you'll get something like this:

Clearly you're not allowing for the well-known effects of the Aurora Borealis on superpower manifestation rates.  What did you think all those bases in Alaska and secret Soviet cities in Siberia were all about?  And don't even get me started on the unacknowledged Scandinavian dominance of the world's super-population.  If they didn't have to spend so much time fighting giants at Ragnarok they'd be the ones in charge, I tell you!  As it is, the US clings to the lead mostly due their early discovery that tinfoil hats help concentrate auroran energies even when out of sight.

Doesn't credit the source, but at least it's obviously a quote and it's on the thread you want.

There may be a more elegant way to do it, but I am virtually prehistoric when it comes to this stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

A cousin of mine (well, technically the husband of my wife's cousin) who lives in Canada once posted that it was 40 below outside. Naturally I asked him, "Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?"

:whistle:

12 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I can understand Americans using miles for distance but not Fahrenheit for a temperature scale. At 32 degrees water freezes and at 212 degrees it boils.

Celsius is easer to understand.

Whereas using Kelvin, you're dead at 32 degrees and at 212 you're also dead.

For me the issue is the "X below" terminology.  X below what?  Zero, or freezing?  No one ever specifies the temperature scale when they say that.

28 minutes ago, Old Man said:

For me the issue is the "X below" terminology.  X below what?  Zero, or freezing?  No one ever specifies the temperature scale when they say that.

They also usually forget to specify that they're talking about H2O versus, say, helium, and I've never heard anyone include a detailed barometric pressure reading, which will affect freezing/boiling points a bit.  Mentor of Arisia would have some harsh things to say about muddy and imprecise thinking.  :) 

48 minutes ago, tombrown803 said:

Why would we want to be easily understood?

Being understood is weakness.  :)