Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

How about '[[]T' just in case it's using some regex' date=' but not the \ bit?[/quote']

Worth a shot. The only other thing I can think of is selecting a [T in the text somewhere and using the command-E "Use Selection for Find" option. But that only seems to prepopulate the search field in the corner for you, so I don't know if it'll make a difference.

* Cancer marks 5/5 on that problem on Old Man's homework paper *

Okay, 5/5 = 1. That one I can get. :winkgrin:

No' date=' the class was Math Meth ("Mathematical Methods for Physics").[/quote']

Argh, flashbacks! I flunked out of my Math for Physicists class. Cauchy integrals, Bessel functions... *shudder* I blame the professor's accent.

What do I do if I want to search for the string of two characters where the first one is open square bracket and the second is capital T? My first attempt got every T in the whole 300+ page document.

I tried that on my sample document. It finds [T alright but doesn't highlight the term on the page...which is strange.

Honestly. go to the Seattle Apple Store at Uni Village unless there is one closer and ask them.

Well, I got the information I was trying to assemble in a different way, so I am no longer pursuing that specific task.

University Village is modestly out of my way; I only get there every year to two.

Okay, 5/5 = 1. That one I can get. :winkgrin:

Argh, flashbacks! I flunked out of my Math for Physicists class. Cauchy integrals, Bessel functions... *shudder* I blame the professor's accent.

Math Meth causes flashbacks? I thought only LSD did that...

I'll bite!

Can you cut through Wolverine with a lightsaber?

Can you force choke Superman?

Would Superman survive a warp core detonation?

Can a lightsaber deflect phaser fire?

Would the Vulcan nerve pinch work on Wolverine?

Without adamantium, sure. IIRC, there is a metal that lightsabers cannot slice through, so adamantium could be trouble.

I can't, no. Since Superman doesn't need to breathe/holds breath for days (depending upon version) it would be moot anyway.

The Superman that flew into the heart of the sun could.

I'll guess yes, though I'm sure this has been debated endlessly by those much nerdier than I. Edit: I was right [Link]

It should, he's still vulnerable to nerve points, I think.

Would the Vulcan nerve pinch work on Wolverine?

They actually addressed this in the Star Trek - Xmen crossover comic a few years ago.

Spock used the neck-pinch on Wolverine, and down he went. But thanks to his healing factor, he was up seconds later, much to Spock's surprise.

A friend of mine (Theoretical math grad student... crazy smart geek girl) just had eye surgery to correct a congential defect that messed with her eyes ability to aim together.

So, in her mid twenties, at the full height of her rational adulthood, she is suddenly getting to experience the third dimension visually for the first time.

Reading her blogs arises echos of authors like Lovecraft struggling to describe the sudden wonder at perceiving a previously unperceived dimension.

They just wrote it, and she's living it.

Blows my mind, it does. I keep thinking of artists she should revisit with her new perspective.

That is cool on so many levels.

Why is Frankenstein's monster so frequently depicted as a machine/robot? Is it just because what he's really supposed to be (stitched together and reanimated dead human flesh) just too gruesome?

While that is what is in Shelley's original text, the real spirit of the story can be fulfilled by any devised being that's approximately as capable as the person who put it together.