Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Round Table FTW.

Of course, I'm easy; I don't mind even "bad" pizza such as Papa John's or Little Sleazer's. And context is important--carnival pizza must be among the worst of app possible pizzas, but when you're at the carnival it's the best thing ever.

Toppingwise, I like to limit the selection to things that walked around at some point. I prefer to leave the plants in the salad where they belong.

When I was a kid I thought there was no such thing as a bad pizza. But these days I'm amazed at how much bad pizza there is.

I'm with you. I actually quite dislike most any pizza these days. If I order it's because I'm hopelessly lazy. The only pizza I eat even semi-regularly these days is actually frozen, Newman's Own.

Of all the chain places' date=' I much prefer Pizza Hut.[/quote']

Agreed again. If I'm doing chain pizza, they're still one of the best, but I can't do the pan pizzas after seeing how they're made.

Round Table FTW.

Wow, I forgot that place still existed! (Does it?) Used to love it as a kid.

There's a real dearth of good pizza here in Seattle. Lots of mediocre stuff, lots of awful stuff. I skip the awful and make do with mediocre. There used to be a very nice Greek family place (it's where my wife & I went around the time we got together) bu they closed while we were over in Pullman in the late 1990s.

Two places here serve pizza: Pizza Hut, and Lotsa Motsa (which I found out is a chain). Pizza Hut has a cracker crust pizza, that makes their's edible, but barely. Lotsa Motsa is the worst pizza I have ever had by far.

Thankfully, I make a pretty decent pizza myself. (scratch crust and sauce).

The secret to a really good pizza is a really good bread. If the crust is bad, the pizza will be bad.

The second thing you need is a good sauce. You can have a good pizza without a great sauce, but it's not easy.

Most folks concentrate on the toppings. But really, you need a solid foundation before you can have a good pizza. If you've got a great bread and a good sauce, as long as the cheese hasn't been sitting in the bottom of the fridge for three months you'll have a good pizza. And honestly, toppings are a matter of taste. Some people want nothing but a big pile of meat. Some people are traditionalists -- pepperoni, sausage, maybe onions, olives, or green peppers, they're happy. I'm partial to "odd" toppings, myself. I often enjoy things like grilled chicken, broccolli, green chilis, shrimp, red peppers, that sort of thing.

I love pizza. Eat it all the time. I've eaten a lot of bad pizza in my life, and a lot of really good pizza too. So I'm a bit of a pizza snob. :)

I've got a recipe for stuffed spinach pizza that is quite good, but it takes 2.5 pounds of cheese, and the last time we tried shredding that much cheese it broke the appliance we were doing the shredding with. This is vaguely discouraging....

Went to the Doctor and now I have to go for a blood test tomorrow. But after my meal' date=' I should not have anything else to eat/drink until about after the blood test. Oh joy.[/quote']

That was something I don't want to do again. I can cope with the no eating bit but 12 hours without a drink/swallow of anything including water ? Not good.

And now I have to ring the Doctor in 2 days to find out the results. Ho hum.

EDIT: Although providing a urine sample and then having to carry it to the doctor was something that was uncomfortable.

That was something I don't want to do again. I can cope with the no eating bit but 12 hours without a drink/swallow of anything including water ? Not good.

And now I have to ring the Doctor in 2 days to find out the results. Ho hum.

EDIT: Although providing a urine sample and then having to carry it to the doctor was something that was uncomfortable.

Just put it in an empty apple juice bottle.

OK, so I've been working out and watching what I eat since January. In the first 3 months or so, I lost nearly 20 pounds. That's good. Now, I seem to have gained much of that weight back.

But, my gut's not big and bulgy like it was, and I'm able to lift a lot more weight than I was when I started, so I'm thinking (hoping) that the weight I've gained is primarily muscle.

How's a bunneh tell if he's losing fat but gaining muscle (without buying a bunch of fancy equipment)?

Throw him in the pond! If he sinks, he's ... less fatty ...

The best way would be to take a volumetric measurement by immersing yourself in a tub of water, checking the displacement, and comparing to your mass. That's not going to tell you much if you didn't do it before the dieting though. Barring that, fat calipers.

As we bought a new vacuum cleaner yesterday' date=' I realized that regardless of how well it actually works, if anyone ever asked, "So, how is the new vacuum cleaner?" the answer "It sucks!" will always be appropriate.[/quote']

And, the harder and deeper it sucks, the better it is. :thumbup:

JG

The best way would be to take a volumetric measurement by immersing yourself in a tub of water' date=' checking the displacement, and comparing to your mass. That's not going to tell you much if you didn't do it before the dieting though. Barring that, fat calipers.[/quote']

There are also inexpensive bathroom scales that use resistance measurement to determine fat percentage..