Favorite Pulp Character

Metaphysician

Re: Favorite Pulp Character

Doc Savage is very cool, I downloaded a bunch of the pdfs of the originals serials when it was still possible (along with the Shadow). I wish that Conde Nast would allow them to be distributed or use them in an actual product rather than just let them fade into nothing.

My only problem with Savage and other pulp types is their omnicompetence. Their insipid perfection gets grating after a while.

Newer pulp characters like Doc Shidhe, Amazon Anne (http://home.comcast.net/~clayburnham/shadows.htm) and the Frazer character in the Mummy are all good too.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc Savage was neat' date=' but way back when my Great Grandfather got me these audio tapes of the radio classics. There was like 15 or 20 tapes and it was chock full of Abbott & Costello, The Shadow, Burns & Allen, RKO Radio Hour etc. I spent SO many nights listening to the 'radio.'[/quote'] Well, you don't have to stop. My Winamp is usually pointed at this station.

For me it's Shadow, Spider and Doc Savage. When I was young my neighbor had all the Bantom Doc books from #1 to whatever was current. I can't remember how many for sure, but she let me read them all.

I agree with Publius about the "perfection" bit in the old pulps, but since I expect it when I read them I just ignore it. I would like to see more "modern pulps" though. And not just in movies. Books are the prefered media for me. It's is hard to find any good ones though. Many of the writers that "try" to write pulp have this idea that it must include "camp" or "be humorous". I really hate books that intentionally try to be funny, they rarely are.

Does Remo Williams (from The Destroyer series) count as a pulp fiction character? If so' date=' that's my vote.[/quote']

If the books are anything like the movie, maybe. Are they? I never read them since I cannot find #1 at a reasonable price and can't stand e-books.

If the books are anything like the movie' date=' maybe. Are they? I never read them since I cannot find #1 at a reasonable price and can't stand e-books.[/quote']The books are not as goofy as the movie. Remo is a killing machine after book 5 or so, his master is close to the movie in dialogue.

EDIT - Here's a link to a group of Pulp Heroes... http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/p/pulphero.htm

There's lots of pulp characters I've heard about but never read; budget, you know :( .

I've got several of the earlier Eclipse Airboys, even did a Valkyrie costume for a convention once. (And it came out pretty good, if I say so myself, even though I don't have nearly the chest development that the cover artist gave Valkyrie -- who knew silicone implants were around during WWII? ;) )

Personally I thought the 1994 Shadow was a nice blend of the pulp and radio versions, both of which I liked (though to me Orson Wells was the radio Shadow, I couldn't really get into the later actors).

I also really like The Green Hornet -- I know he's not technically pulp because he wasn't in a print format, but they're still good stories.

Doc Savage

Tarzan

John Carter

THe "VOrtex BLaster" He was, in some ways, more powerful than the Lensmen. and that reaction time....

AFAIK, disguise enhancement through more extreme tricks is usually a limited form of Shapeshift.

As for my favorite, currently, it'd be Kimball Kinnison of the Galactic Patrol. I don't even wanna *think* about his point total.

OOOOHHHH I forgot Jetboy. "I can't die yet, I haven't seen the AL Jolsen story"

If only the authors hadn't been quite so dark, depressing, and Preachy.

I like the Shadow, but haven't heard many of the shows, nor read any. I remember Batman running into him in a comic in the 70s?

The Bowman, also from WIldcards, might fit.

G-8. After him the Shadow and the Avenger come to mind. Modern? Rocketeer and Valkyrie (more than Airboy).

Indy.

Didn't really translate him though. He just sort of ran through the party of characters carrying an idol while they were running the opposite direction with and idol. Just a small gag that got a laugh.

I haven't thought of that in 15 years.

Reading this thread is the first I've EVER heard of him. SOurces??

G-8, first, last, and always.

And his villains were out of this world -- Herr Doctor Krueger, maddest of mad scientists; Stahlmaske, forerunner of villains ranging from Darth Vader to Doctor Destroyer; Herr Grun, the American ape-man; The Vampire Hag, the Sky Wolves, and multitudes more.

Anyone else here have G-8 in the background of their game universe?

Even in 5th grade I thought DOc should only be ALMOST as good as EACH of his cohorts...

he was still pretty cool. I liked Monk really well, for some reason.

For me it's Shadow, Spider and Doc Savage. When I was young my neighbor had all the Bantom Doc books from #1 to whatever was current. I can't remember how many for sure, but she let me read them all.

I agree with Publius about the "perfection" bit in the old pulps, but since I expect it when I read them I just ignore it. I would like to see more "modern pulps" though. And not just in movies. Books are the prefered media for me. It's is hard to find any good ones though. Many of the writers that "try" to write pulp have this idea that it must include "camp" or "be humorous". I really hate books that intentionally try to be funny, they rarely are.

As long as we're mentioning the pulps, let's not overlook one of the great villains of those stories. Namely Dr. Fu Manchu! I know he started in novels but he's appeared in the pulps and comics many times as well and really, he could possibly qualify as the first supervillain. Maybe.