One of my PCs wants to become a US law enforcement officer

Doug McCrae

And I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm not sure what sort of law officer would be most appropriate (not knowing much about the setup in the US) whether the government would be agreeable, whether a new post should be created etc.

The background: Superheroes have only been around for about 10 months. There are only about half a dozen in existence (along with a much larger number of supervillains, most of those currently in custody). The PCs have good relations with the government. In particular they have the ear of the Secretary of the Dept of Homeland Security, having been called in by him when a small town in Tennessee tried to secede from the union. (They defeated the hillbilly mind controller responsible.)

The PC in question, Event Horizon, volunteered to reveal his secret ID to the government as part of gaining official status.

Re: One of my PCs wants to become a US law enforcement officer

I would suggest making him either a US Marshal or an FBI agent. That's more direct law enforcement, but can branch off into other things such as counterespionage or counterterrorism. I think the FBI would be a better choice for a PC superhero. The FBI has jurisdiction throughout the US, often sends agents to other countries, and maintains an elite Hostage Rescue Team. Maybe even a federal task force to respond to superhuman villains. Dept. of Homeland Security or the Defense Dept. is going to be much more paramilitary.

Either way he's going to have to follow a certain code of conduct, and be subject to orders. Does the player realize this, or is he just looking for a "license to kill"? (I know you Scots are into that kind of thing.) ;)

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF)

"Come out of the house, or we will burn it down..."

Seriously though, either FBI or US Marshals.

FBI because it has prestige. US Marshals because it sounds cool, and no one knows exactly what they DO... :confused:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF)

"Come out of the house, or we will burn it down..."

Seriously though, either FBI or US Marshals.

FBI because it has prestige. US Marshals because it sounds cool, and no one knows exactly what they DO... :confused:

I would much prefer "Come out of the house, and we'll burn your house down ..."

US Marshals are probably your best bet for action. Note their security, fugitive tracking, and court order serving duties.

FBI is mostly into detective work, which might fit your PC better, depending on skills and such. Remember, every FBI agent is an attorny, accountant, or computer scientist. Well, except for Scully, she's a MD. ;)

I work in law enforcement and I would say... Linked to the Dept. of Defense. That agency is responsible for the defense of the country and all things that can fall under that catagory. As far as FBI goes: Per an FBI agent I know, they are "Famous But Incompetant".

The D.O.D. is the place I would put them. I'm sure the government would create an off-shoot agancy to handle the Supers...

I believe that the government's response was accurately protrayed in X-Men, the movie, when it was brought up that there were mutants with the ability to walk through walls......

Traditionally, the government fears whatever it cannot catalog, control or create.

FBI or US marshals both sound good....but I'd go with the US secret service....if you ever saw The wild wild west, just posit that whatever weird branch west and artimus gordon belonged to has been reactivated.......

The D.O.D. is the place I would put them. I'm sure the government would create an off-shoot agancy to handle the Supers...

The problem is: an agency under the jurisdiction of the DOD can't legally enforce civilan law. That's the job of the justice dept I believe. I could easily see multiple super agencies though (often at each other's throats).

The US Marshall's service is the most likely agency to be put in charge of transporting and detaining supervillans even is they aren't the ones who caught them in the first place.

Re: Get it out of my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it would be funny if I Googled Walker Texas Ranger fanfic and linked to it.I actually found some. My mind is spinning as if awakened for the first time. Nothing is the same...all changed. Must...

A paraphrase from the narrator from Futurama.

"You read it! You can't unread it!"