Champs Worldwide: Whaddya want?

Darren Watts

Re: Champs Worldwide: Whaddya want? well..more

I have read some real good suggestions, but noted a few were missed. Unless I just skimmed over it by accident, of course.

I think there should be aleast one culture (sterotyped) hero from each covered country, otherwise they lose their unquiness.

I too would like to see characters from Mexico, South America, and even Hawaii. And heroes/villians who are not nessary from that country. I ran for a time a Thundercat theme PC in Hawaii.

Also, how about horror theme characters, like the werewolf or Dracula and his brides? Or even some from other countries. I think someone out to just have your new European girlfriend as lunch makes change from robbing banks and world conquest.

And why not explore a little about around in space. The 4th Ed Zodaic comes to mind. Just because they run around on the earth doesn't mean they got to have a base there.

wylie

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champs Worldwide: Whaddya want?

Let's see. The most recent heros added to my list of "All The World's Heros" have been "Assault" (a power suit hero in Botswana) and "Aquamarine" (an aquatic heroine from Sri Lanka). As a believer in the "nature abhors a vacuum" theory I have also placed some heros in Colombia "Gargoyle" (a big, ugly brick that looks as if he just came down from the roof of a cathedral) and "Flare" (who I quite happily stole from the old "Champions" rule book !

I have read some real good suggestions, but noted a few were missed. Unless I just skimmed over it by accident, of course.

I think there should be aleast one culture (sterotyped) hero from each covered country, otherwise they lose their unquiness.

I too would like to see characters from Mexico, South America, and even Hawaii. And heroes/villians who are not nessary from that country. I ran for a time a Thundercat theme PC in Hawaii.

Also, how about horror theme characters, like the werewolf or Dracula and his brides? Or even some from other countries. I think someone out to just have your new European girlfriend as lunch makes change from robbing banks and world conquest.

And why not explore a little about around in space. The 4th Ed Zodaic comes to mind. Just because they run around on the earth doesn't mean they got to have a base there.

wylie

Whoa! Horror theme characters would rock!

Transylvania!! Yeah! But instead of villians...perhaps its a super group or super being trying to correct the mistakes of the regions ancestors.

A New Frankenstein's monster? Or A pack of Werewolves that defend the region.

Or a descendant of Dracula who has the interests of the area at heart.

One thing I'd like to see:

The "Prevalence of Superhumans" chart from page 31 of Champions Universe fixed. Sorry to be snarky, Darren, but you &/or Steve L. goofed big time on that.

First: where are the Koreas, and South Asia other than India? Second, the one-per amounts don't work. Specifically, I made a chart, using the population amounts from the brand new National Geographic Atlas, adding the Koreas as their own 'region', and adding other countries to India to get "South Asia". I've tried to attach a version of the full chart to this post; after downloading it, rename it from Pop_dist.txt to Pop_dist.csv. You can then import it into any spreadsheet or spreadsheet-using program I've ever heard of.

As a condensed form of the full chart, I give you the below, which uses the highest amounts gotten from the CU chart, where a range of prevalences is given, or the single rate if that's what's given. I've added "Korea", assuming one-per-one-million, and changed "India" to "South Asia":

US----------------2915

Canada-------------127

Mexico--------------21

Central America------13

South America------119

British Isles----------85

Western Europe-----319

Eastern Europe------100

Russia---------------49

Saharan Africa-------33

Subsaharan Africa----63

The Middle East------23

Central Asia----------17

South Asia----------146

The Koreas-----------71

China---------------264

Japan---------------128

Oceania---------------1

Australia--------------4

Total--------------4547

Two things to note: #1, the US has 64.1% of all supers,which is way too high IMO. #2, with a world pop currently at ~6350 million, a one-in-a-million world average would be 6350; 4547 is ~71.6% of what it "should be"! And note, this is for the *highest* numbers; for the lowest,the world total is 1434. Obviously, the chart from CU should be tossed, and a new one put in.

IMO, the new one should reduce the US's share of supers to no more than 40% (and that's being generous). Superheroes & supervillains work best as a world-wide phenomenon; anything else is the "ugly American"/"geographically-illiterate American" syndrome at work.

At last, somewhat decent coverage of the cosmic-powered tier of superherodom in the CU. Really. Please. Some spotlight on the CU JLA/Avengers/FF/Defenders/Authority equivalents doing the real work of keeping Earth/Galaxy/Reality safe and the likes of Dr. Destroyer and Tyrannon at bay. So that there's no more need for Champions vs. Viperia stuff.

I'd also like to see a goodly dollop of information on the world's economy and how superheroes have effected it. (This point may have been raised before)

I'd like information on border-crossings, especially how flying, teleporting, etc. how heroes are dealt with, when they're entering "officially" and when they're not.

Supervillains taking over small countries has been mentioned, but what about them bribing/"buying" a country's government, either outright, or to get diplomatic immunity. As a bit of inspiration, here's a quote from the CIA World Factbook (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/tv.html) "In 1998, Tuvalu began deriving revenue from use of its area code for '900' lines and in 2000, from the lease of its '.tv' Internet domain name. Royalties from these new technology sources could increase substantially over the next decade."

If you can get a country to sell its Internet and telephony "identity", what about getting it to, under the table, sell an "Ambassadorship at Large"?

I'll mention any other ideas I have. :)

Here is a brief list of suggestions for Australian super names and name elements. While a couple of them have been used by one or other comics company in the past they should still be public domain enough for you to use them for CU characters without problems.

Not all are uniquely Australian, but they are all reasonably likely to be used by Australians. The list is, of course, not even remotely exhaustive.

The name "Southern Cross" is, sadly, used by a poster on these boards, so it might be polite to avoid it. :(

I've listed them by categories, and added brief comments.

Animals:

Magpie - common sight in many cities.

Flying Fox - likewise.

Redback - poisonous spider, like a Black Widow, only better.

Dingo - unimpressive wild dog.

Shark - we've got lots.

Wombat - just because. :)

Mythological animals:

Bunyip - apparently a mythological version of a crocodile in indigenous myths. Non-indigenous myths have tended to lose that connection.

Yowie - another mysterious critter.

Historical Bushrangers (real people):

Captain Thunderbolt

Captain Midnight

Captain Moonlight

Other criminal specialties:

Bushranger

Standover - a "standover man" is a violent extortionist.

Toecutter - see Standover, with extra overtones of "hitman".

Other:

Southern Cross - part of national iconography. Also used by New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

Southern (anything)

Cyclone

Boomerang

At last' date=' somewhat decent coverage of the cosmic-powered tier of superherodom in the CU. Really. Please. Some spotlight on the CU JLA/Avengers/FF/Defenders/Authority equivalents doing the real work of keeping Earth/Galaxy/Reality safe and the likes of Dr. Destroyer and Tyrannon at bay. So that there's no more need for Champions vs. Viperia stuff.[/quote']

Some people like to play the "Big guns" That's cool. Some people like to play other styles of character. We all have different tastes, Wanderer, you don't have to crap on what other people like to play just because its different from what you like to play. Hell, even the Avengers have Captain America and (had) Hawkeye and Mockingbird. A character coolness and worth are not determined by how big their EB is. Saving lives and helping people, fighting the good fight against impossible odds and being a decent person is what makes a Hero, not just raw might. Its as, if not more, heroic to fight with guts, skills and few "minor" powers as with power to shatter planets when you sneeze. All IMHO, of course.

The name "Southern Cross" is, sadly, used by a poster on these boards, so it might be polite to avoid it. :(

It's also the name of a published superhero character. Blue bodystocking and a wooden stick/staff IIRC.

Yowie - another mysterious critter.

Basically Bigfoot.

Whoa! Horror theme characters would rock!

(snip)

Or A pack of Werewolves that defend region.

I can't seem to find it, but I have encountered a legend of a group of men who assume wolf form to fight off evil demons and the like. I think the legend is Russian/Slavic, although I could be mistaken. I do know it is Eastern European at the very least.

It's also the name of a published superhero character. Blue bodystocking and a wooden stick/staff IIRC.

There was another one as well, published by the same publisher.

As I noted, several of the names I listed have been used at one time or another. However, the names themselves, as distinct from the published characters, should be in the public domain.

Unless, of course, someone has managed to gain sole rights to the word "wombat".

"Or a pack of werewolves that defend region." Oye.

Someone set us up the bomb.

How about A Pack of Werewolves that defend THE region. ;)

Anyway that's a cool idea. Give us the Slavic/Russian Wolf-men and Women.

Maybe they made a deal with a Gypsy Witch during the Late 30's for power to defend against the invading Nazis.

Now, either they're children or they themselves still live on defending THE region.

To "Oddhat" Interesting comment about Indian supers. As many of you know I have done basic (ie not full character sheets' date=' just basic descriptions ) of characters from all over the world. A couple of ideas I had for Indian supers were a super strong wrestler who went by the name of "The Great Gama" (named after a real Indian wrestler from the early part of the 20th century) and a master of the Indian martial art of Kalarypyat who went by the name of "The Guru" (because that is a name that my copy of "Ultimate Martial Artist" suggests Kalarypayat masters are known by). I also gave "The Guru" various "extended breathing" and "Super flexibility" type powers ro add a little bit of mystical quality to him. Oh yes, apparently Indian wrestling champions are often given large, engraved maces as prizes/symbols of their skills so I gave "The Great Gama" one of these with a "Mjolner" type returning ability.[/quote']

Can you post a link to these please?

(for us lazy buggers)

Perhaps a Russian Robin Hood is in order--a hero who steals from the Mob' date=' and gives the wealth to those most in need. Definitely a hero, but also definitely outside the law.[/quote']

I second this idea!!! And if it isn' tin the book, consider it stolen.

How about some Aliens who landed somewhere other than the US?

Maybe huge worm- or armadillo-like creatures from Stellarus 7 are being bred in the sands outside Cairo by an exiled, alien mad-scientist (think alien version of Teleios with access to extra-terrestrial biologicals).

Perhaps some characters that have powers but choose to live "normal" lives instead of fight crime.

Two things cross my mind:

1. The movie about the Incredibles
  2. In the first comic in the books of magick series there is a former deity who is currently working at a travell agency. I really liked that character.

A former deity could qualify for the demanded high powered range.

Here is a brief list of suggestions for Australian super names and name elements.

Wombat - just because. :)

Please let there be Wombats in the book. My girl-friend really loves those creatures. :yes:

I would like to see some attention paid to the fictional countries of the CU: at least a few paragraphs for each one about geography' date=' population, language and culture, history, major cities, economy, etc. The GM has many sources to research a trip to a real-world nation, but for the CU-specific ones this looks to be the only source for the foreseeable future.[/quote']

I second that, just think of how important Genosha is to the X-Men world. It would be interesting if CU's "Genoshas" would get a similar share of attention.

This brings up another point. Yes' date=' Champions does try to simulate Superhero comics. However, not all comics are published in the USA; if you count Manga (and you should) the vast majority of Superhero comics today are not American, and many of the most popular writers and artists working in American comics are not Americans.[/quote']

A few manga-inspired characters (like sailor suit girls), would be great.

Other than requests for some luchadores, I don't think I've read any requests for any villains (or heroes) from Central or South America.

Venezuela has a reputation for producing beautiful Miss Universe contestants (what hero won't rescue Miss Universe?).

Why create the fake nation of Guamanga in CU if no one plays there?

White Wolf has this thing for South (and central) American necromancers. I would be interesting to see a Hero Games version on that character concept.

I true super model would be great, and why not use Miss venezuela?

I once again second the need to cover the fake nations.

How about some Aliens who landed somewhere other than the US?

There are, at least, one person that claims of connections between the aliens and texts in the bible.

An alien angel-inpersonator could be an interesting character.

Guest Worldmaker

In the first comic in the books of magick series there is a former deity who is currently working at a travell agency. I really liked that character.

That actually happened in The Sandman, though Pharamond might have appeared later in TBOM. He was presented as the God of Roads, Travelers, and Trade, and ran his agency accordingly.

Some people like to play the "Big guns" That's cool. Some people like to play other styles of character. We all have different tastes, Wanderer, you don't have to crap on what other people like to play just because its different from what you like to play. Hell, even the Avengers have Captain America and (had) Hawkeye and Mockingbird. A character coolness and worth and determined by how big their EB is. Saving lives and helping people, fighting the good fight against impossible odds and being a decent person is what makes a Hero, not just raw might. Its as, if not more heroic to fight with guts, skills and few "minor" powers as with power to shatter planets when you sneeze. All IMHO, of course.

Huh ?? I was not ranting against other people's tastes. I was lamenting that (IMO, of course) one of the worst defects of CU so far is that is mostly lacks definition at the higher tiers of superherodom. Keeping city safe is as just as heroic (except maybe for the heightened drama from higher stakes) as defending the multiverse. It's that to be entertaining, a setting (story) must keep some semblance of plausibility. My "real work" snide comment was not to low-level heroes nor to the ones that like to play them, but to the utter un-belieavibility of CU keeping continously safe from the sakes of Tyrannon, Mechanon and Kings of Edom by sheer luck, with apparently no hero keeping them at bay, or -worse- pretending that the likes of Nightchicken, Christina Sapphireoa, Afro-American Speedy Hope and Old Money Tin Warrior Boyscout are the ones that keep Global Master Villains, Dark Gods and Imperialistic Dimension Lords at bay :sick: Neighborhood heroism is all fine and good, as long as it stays in the neighborhood, and does not pretend to be the cause for keeping Earth from falling into the Sun. My argument is aimed to CU writers, not fellow players who like street-level stuff. To them, if any, I may direct a slight mote of envy, since, so far, in the overall, they are getting more value for their money from CU setting books that I am. :(

Hopes my meaning is more clear now. :) I didn't want sound demeaning to other people's characters. :cry:

Well, except for the Champions. Their artwork and story omnipresence in the most unplausible situations as the apparently unique superheroes of the CU is slightly starting to grate on my nerves with every new book.

That actually happened in The Sandman' date=' though Pharamond might have appeared later in TBOM. He was presented as the God of Roads, Travelers, and Trade, and ran his agency accordingly.[/quote']

That might be true, I didn't have the comic at hand when I wrote the reply. Still, the character concept would be an interesting addition to CU.

That might be true' date=' I didn't have the comic at hand when I wrote the reply. Still, the character concept would be an interesting addition to CU.[/quote']

I believe the CU had in it's past, IIRC, a winged character who claimed to be an angel. I think entire cult atmosphere grew up around the characters.

Several gods do walk the earth. Page 63 of The Mystic World lists some of the gods, and their activities, on the earth. I'm not sure if I'd really like to see a write up for a god character. I believe that will lead to the inevitable powerful character arguments which jump up on the boards every month or so.

Guest Worldmaker

That might be true' date=' I didn't have the comic at hand when I wrote the reply. Still, the character concept would be an interesting addition to CU.[/quote']

I assure you it is true. :) Pharamond's appearance was in Issue #43 of the Sandman. This was also Chapter 3 of the Brief Lives storyline.

The chapter title was "The People Who Remember Atlantis; The Dogs of Art; Concerning Mammoths And Falling Walls; Truth Or Consequences, And Other Places; When I Dream Sometimes I Remember How To Fly; Ancestral Voices Prophecying; Bored, She Makes Little Frogs; Who Controls Transportation?" All the chapters in this storyline were long, involved, multi-part affairs.