tickle

Foxx!

Re: tickle

Heroes!

I ask because recently a player knew they couldn’t overpower a foe so they tickled him. I resolved the situation this way. The player had to make a Placed Shot at -6 and hit skin not covered by DEF. If they succeed, the target is Stunned, but doesn’t take any damage. Also, I told the character to choose a location, and I said I would roll to see if the target is ticklish there. I faked the roll and let the player succeed. What do you think?

Later, I thought about the situation more and made a few questions.

1: Is tickling is like a Grab or a Joint Lock manoeuvre?

2: Is being tickled is like being Stunned because you are at lower defence and less aware of your surroundings?

3: Is being tickled is like drowning because you don’t take damage, but you can’t breathe?

4: Some people are not ticklish, or are ticklish only in certain areas. How do you resolve that?

Cheers!

Heroes!

I ask because recently a player knew they couldn’t overpower a foe so they tickled him. I resolved the situation this way. The player had to make a Placed Shot at -6 and hit skin not covered by DEF. If they succeed, the target is Stunned, but doesn’t take any damage. Also, I told the character to choose a location, and I said I would roll to see if the target is ticklish there. I faked the roll and let the player succeed. What do you think?

2: Is being tickled is like being Stunned because you are at lower defence and less aware of your surroundings?

3: Is being tickled is like drowning because you don’t take damage, but you can’t breathe?

4: Some people are not ticklish, or are ticklish only in certain areas. How do you resolve that?

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure that in a 'serious' combat situation tickling would have no effect unless you were particularly susceptible: I would let the players get away with it once, but not make a regular thing of it...

Heroes!

Cheers!

1. Personally, I think you have to Grab and THEN Tickle UNLESS you have a weapon or such that affords the capability.

2. Yes, I'd agree with that, at least for "super-tickling", but see caveat below

3. Yes, but see caveat below

4. -1/2, Limited Power, and as GM I'd randomize it as to the target and location; an EGO roll would allow a target to not give away that someone was "getting warm" to a tickle location

As stated above, in "real" combat, I can't see this being a factor unless someone is entirely and totally subdued already. However, for "super tickling" I think these are all valid concerns.

Re #2 and #3, you can just tune into the variety of prior argumens on "how to STUN without actually causing lasting STUN damage" and the related "how to drown properly" arguments. However, a different take entirely, which I think is actually more accurate, would be an Entangle, that's really what happens usually IMHO is that someone is immobilized, basically, but can recover amost instantaneously (or at least can/should in a heroic fiction RPG).

1. Personally, I think you have to Grab and THEN Tickle UNLESS you have a weapon or such that affords the capability.

2. Yes, I'd agree with that, at least for "super-tickling", but see caveat below

3. Yes, but see caveat below

4. -1/2, Limited Power, and as GM I'd randomize it as to the target and location; an EGO roll would allow a target to not give away that someone was "getting warm" to a tickle location

As stated above, in "real" combat, I can't see this being a factor unless someone is entirely and totally subdued already. However, for "super tickling" I think these are all valid concerns.

Re #2 and #3, you can just tune into the variety of prior argumens on "how to STUN without actually causing lasting STUN damage" and the related "how to drown properly" arguments. However, a different take entirely, which I think is actually more accurate, would be an Entangle, that's really what happens usually IMHO is that someone is immobilized, basically, but can recover amost instantaneously (or at least can/should in a heroic fiction RPG).

Zornwil!

I like the Grab and then tickle idea. Your comments made me decide to do this as a Nerve Strike. The defence is having resistant PD on the ticklish areas or not being ticklish. For now I’ll say ticklish areas are the neck and armpits.

Cheers!

I might also say that making an ego roll would stop any "tickling" from happening. Can you see The Joker tickling Batman? I can't. Well' date=' with some sort of drug, maybe, but you just can't tickle the bat. (unless you happen to be robin *ducks flung fruit*)[/quote']

He could tickle TV Batman or even mid-60s Silver-Age-and-getting-sillier comic book Batman...why are you looking at me like that?

:D

Actually, putting your idea with Foxx' could be good, Foxx could take a Lim on his Nerve Strike (which, btw, I like the Nerve Strike idea).

As far as sumulating the Tickle as a combat maneuver, I'd run it using Martial Arts. The SFX as a Nerver Strike or a different type of Choke Hold (you try breathing while being tickled constantly for more than a few seconds!). The reason is because anyone can tickle someone, just like anyone can choke someone, but to do it in combat and make it effective takes skill and/or talent.

As far as sumulating the Tickle as a combat maneuver' date=' I'd run it using Martial Arts. The SFX as a Nerver Strike or a different type of Choke Hold (you try breathing while being tickled constantly for more than a few seconds!). The reason is because [i']anyone[/i] can tickle someone, just like anyone can choke someone, but to do it in combat and make it effective takes skill and/or talent.

Dust Raven!

I was hoping you would comment. I like the comparison to Choke Hold. Anyone can do it, but you must buy an ability to do it in combat. It also further convinces me of Zornwil’s idea that you need to Grab the target first.

Cheers!

Dust Raven!

I was hoping you would comment. I like the comparison to Choke Hold. Anyone can do it, but you must buy an ability to do it in combat. It also further convinces me of Zornwil’s idea that you need to Grab the target first.

Cheers!

No problem :)

I wouldn't say that you "need" to grab the target first, but I figure the effect of being tickled tends to restrict the use of a limb or two (armpits, back of the knees, nape of the neck, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping you would comment. I like the comparison to Choke Hold. Anyone can do it' date=' but you must buy an ability to do it in combat. It also further convinces me of Zornwil’s idea that you need to Grab the target first.[/quote']

I would definitely say that Grab should be required, because just based on natural reaction alone, unless a target was Grabbed first, the average attack (in this case) would not be anywhere near a long enough duration to even be worth counting damage from before the attacker was evaded or pushed away. Only when a target is held, grabbed, or pinned in someway would this actually work as a notable attack, IMHO.

I will have to go look at some of those "How to do STUN without causing lasting damage" threads, because there are a number of SFX I have thought of for various characters where STUN would be applicable, but recover too quickly for that mechanic to work. *mental note to peruse boards more often* :think:

I regularly tickle my girlfriend though her leather biker jacket. Granted' date=' I don't know how I do it, but I do and I know those jackets provide at leave a few points of DEF.[/quote']

You have an unfair advantage, Raven! KS=Knows me all too well! :nya:

Tickling can be a touchy thing (pun intended). I came up with a villian for my little kids when I become 'The Tickler' (cue dramatic music). Having had some time to think about it I honestly think that it would be a NND... not everyone is ticklish. True, EVERYONE has a reaction to being tickled but there is a good fraction of the populace that is 'immune' to it. The tough part is how do you randomize who is ticklish? I'd give it a 11- predetermined and constant after the initial roll is made.

I agree with the minor DEX drain with perhaps some levels due to how far away the roll is failed from 11-. If you miss the roll by rolling an 18, you crumble and it could be as good as a high STR hold maneuver. My brother used to pin me with a single finger under the armpit or in the soft part of the neck. I would collapse and then after that he'd just have to get close to me with a pointed finger and a threat... so the PRE attack is also very valid with pre-existing conditions.

Now... is spandex tickle-proof? I'd say that 1 point of Power Defense would cover it.

YMMV.

I think anyone who's ever been in an actual fistfight would agree that tickling is just not an option. Wouldn't work.

Speaking from personal experience, this is only somewhat true. I don't get into fights often (I haven't been in an actual fight since high school), but there were a few where I managed to escape from a hold by tickling my attacker. The first time was accidentally; I was just trying get away, and I ended up tickling him and it sent him flying away for a moment. Another time I tried it just because it worked once, and it worked again (although that time the guy just squeezed tighter, or maybe it didn't work the way I'd hoped).

Of course, this doesn't mean that tickling is a good option, just an option. To the best of my knowledge, there are no martial arts that incorperate tickling, which leads me to belive there are far more effective methods of defending oneself or attacking (but in a comic book action universe, who cares? Tickle away!).

Speaking from personal experience, this is only somewhat true. I don't get into fights often (I haven't been in an actual fight since high school), but there were a few where I managed to escape from a hold by tickling my attacker. The first time was accidentally; I was just trying get away, and I ended up tickling him and it sent him flying away for a moment. Another time I tried it just because it worked once, and it worked again (although that time the guy just squeezed tighter, or maybe it didn't work the way I'd hoped).

Of course, this doesn't mean that tickling is a good option, just an option. To the best of my knowledge, there are no martial arts that incorperate tickling, which leads me to belive there are far more effective methods of defending oneself or attacking (but in a comic book action universe, who cares? Tickle away!).

In terms of combat maneuvers and not 'powers' why wouldn't just be categorized under the distraction rules?

Okay... here's another question for those in favor of randomizing which NPCs are ticklish on an 11-... Any good GM would give as good as get. Heaven forbid some wacked-out villain (Foxbat, CLOWN, etc.) come up with an attack with that particular SFX... How would you handle it for player characters? Just asking players is a big clue for them to say, "Ummm.. no! No, I'm not." Would you still make it random? Newly discovered disad? Be nice and allow the players to decide? Pick on a player's character concept in some cases? Since it's a standing thing once determined, what would you GMs do?

Gads, as if I don't think about enough background traits for my RPG characters... now this thread is making me think about even more! (And Dust Raven is posting to this, too... *shudder*)

In terms of combat maneuvers and not 'powers' why wouldn't just be categorized under the distraction rules?

Could do that, and I'd even say it's what I did. But in the sense of an action comic, or comic action, the idea of a combat maneuver moddled after tickling someone becomes not only possible, but an entertainable idea. Kinda like Stooge-Fu from whatever AC mag they put it in so many moons ago.