X-men on 350

Tim

I felt inspired and wrote up my take on Nightcrawler on 350 points. Here he is.

(If I feel inspired again I'll write up some of the others.)

Nightcrawler

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
35 DEX 75
20 CON 20
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
14 EGO 8
20 PRE 10
14 COM 2
8 PD 5
6 ED 2
8 SPD 35
8 REC 2
40 END 0
28 STUN 0
8" RUN42" SWIM04" LEAP1Characteristics Cost: 172

Cost Power END
4 Prehensile Tail: Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points); Limited Manipulation (-1/4) 0
7 Wall Climbing: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Requires An Acrobatics Roll (-1/2) 0
60 Teleportation 20", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass 6
15 Image Inducer: Shape Shift (Sight Group), Instant Change, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); IAF (-1/2) 0
12 Rapier: HKA 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) 0
3 Dark Blue Fur: +2 with any three related Skills (6 Active Points); Limited Power: in in dark/ shadowy areas Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1) [Notes: With Stealth, Shadowing, and Concealment]
12 Teleportation sickness: EB 5d6, NND ([standard]; defense is having teleportation or not having a nervous system.; +1) (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x4 END; -1 1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Power (Must follow grab, Must teleport with subject, must be able to teleport subject; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (takes 1/4 damage done to target; -1/2), Linked (Teleportation; Lesser Power need not be used proportionally to Power with which it is Linked; -1/4) 20
Powers Cost: 113

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Italian Style Fencing
5 1) Lunge: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, Weapon + 4DC Strike
4 2) Parry: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 3) Riposte: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon + 2DC Strike, Must follow block
5 4) Takeaway: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, +10 str to take away weapon
4 5) Void: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects all attacks, Abort
Martial Arts Cost: 22

Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 16-
3 Acting 13-
3 Breakfall 16-
3 Climbing 16-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Contortionist 16-
1 Disguise 8-
1 High Society 8-
2 KS: Errol Flynn Movies 11-
3 Language: English (completely fluent) [Notes: German, Native]
2 PS: Circus Performer 11-
3 Seduction 13-
5 Shadowing 13-
3 Stealth 16-
2 WF: Blades, Clubs, Fist-Loads, Off Hand, Unarmed Combat
Skills Cost: 40

Cost Talent
3 Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)
Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
15 DF: Looks like a Demon: (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 DF: Three Fingered Hands and Feet: (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 DF Noticable Accent: (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5 DF: Mutant: (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10 Hunted: Anti-Mutant Zealots 11- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Mystique 11- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code of Honor (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Very Religious CvK (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Showoff, Flamboyant (Very Common, Moderate)
5 DNPC: Magdala, Stepmother and GF: Amanda Sefton 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
10 Reputation: Member of the X-Men, 11-
5 Reputation: Swashbuckler, 8-
15 Social Limitation: Member of the X-Men (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: X-men on 350

I've got my own version of Nightcrawler around here somewhere, also on 350.

Tim, apparently you and I have a similar hobby. When I have the time, I've been trying to work all of the X-Men into 350 point write-ups. So far I've got Nightcrawler, Gambit and Cyclops. I'm currenlty musing over Beast and Storm.

Granted, the 350 write-ups aren't meant to represent them all being from the same time or source, just as what I think they'd look like as starting Champions characters.

Maybe I should find a way to post some....

Nice right up, the following is a critique, so I am pointing out things I disagree with/would do different, overall I think you did a better job than I could...

think I would try to up his defences some (probably put his tp in a MP and give him some combat luck like armor representing him porting all over the place)

He really should not have RSR on clinging (it is one of his powers)

I think his leaping is low

The tail is inherent

Magdela & Amada are both as powerful, and I would make it two disads, as they don't tend to get in trouble together

Don't like the 2 DF's, strikes me as double dipping

When in his career does this represent? Depending on which era I would consider dropping the sword or the Image inducer

Over all A-, well done.

I am a little under the weather at the moment so if I've just missed this please forgive me. But I don't seen any kind of a Teleportation Power on the sheet, just his Teleport Sickness Power.

It's third from the top under his Powers list. It just doesn't have a power title in bold type.

Very easy to miss, especially if you're feeling ill. And yes, you're forgiven. :)

Nice right up' date=' the following is a critique, so I am pointing out things I disagree with/would do different, overall I think you did a better job than I could...[/quote']

Thanks

think I would try to up his defences some (probably put his tp in a MP and give him some combat luck like armor representing him porting all over the place)

He really should not have RSR on clinging (it is one of his powers)

I think his leaping is low

The tail is inherent

It's hard to put his teleport powers into an mp, he has to be able to use his telelport and his teleport sickness at the same time. And I can't use an EC, cause the 2 are linked.

I agree that his leaping is a little low. and his tail should be inerent, but the points. As to the RSR, It always seemed to me that his clinging isn't like Spidey's he has to be able to grip the surface. My concern was that it should be Climbing, not acrobatics. (might still change it to that.)

Magdela & Amada are both as powerful, and I would make it two disads, as they don't tend to get in trouble together

Don't like the 2 DF's, strikes me as double dipping

You're right, Magdala actually could qualify for both Kurt's and Amanda's DNPC.

Why? One is his blue furred appearance, and as long as the image inducer is off can be seen by sight. The fingers, if he shakes hands, even with the image inducer, can be felt.

When in his career does this represent? Depending on which era I would consider dropping the sword or the Image inducer

It is nebulously around the end of the Dark Pheonix saga. I wasn't trying to tie him into a specific time (except pre-Excalibur) but he has been with the X-men for a little while. And I did think about dropping the sword and the Fencing, but he doesn't have any real attack power except his t-port sickness. This gives him something else.

While I don't read the comics and thus would never attempt to write up the characters, I did love the movie versions and definitely think they could be done on 350. If I was to write up the movie version of Nightcrawler, I'd definitely give him DCV levels that Cost END to represent his defensive TP (such as the scene at the beginning where he attacks the President).

Cool. Nightcrawler's been my favorite character from the X-Men for years.

You can free up some points by making use of the Everyman Skills.

I'm inclined to agree that he can't have two lots of DF, at least not on this basis. What you are effectively saying is that because he feels different as well as looks different, he can have two lots of DF for effectively the same, but I can't say that I agree. The accent seems wrong as a DF to me too, but it would depend on the campaign.

I'd drop the rapier and give Kurt some other form of Martial Arts, reflecting his X-Man training. Nightcrawler didn't carry round a sword as a matter of course in this period, that I can recall (but I didn't read many comics then). If you like, allow him to keep the ability to fence, but incorporate that into his unarmed MA (for example, the Block Maneuver could be used armed or unarmed), as can the Dodge. I wouldn't bother with Takeaway at this stage of his career. I'd say Disarm was more the sort of thing Kurt did, but that's just quibbling on my part.

I can't remember a lot about the Image Inducer, but is it really a form of Shape Shift? I suppose it works quite well, though.

It's a good write-up.

a couple of things

perhaps changing the three fingered hands to a physical limitation might work not that it does much but he certainly will have problems with some devices designed for normal human hands

also extra limbs shoudl include his feet as they can also be used as as hands and

perhaps you should lower his contortionist skill and skill levels linked to his malleable spine.

finally perhaps a teleport mulitpower might be useful

one with longer range but higher endurance cost as kurt has around a 2km maximum range.

also teleport usable as an attack would be a handy extra you could also include a shorter range, higher weight version as well.

According to FREd and the FAQ' date=' yes, subject to GM permission. If another character Grabs the teleporter, though, the teleporter would have to have Teleport Usable As An Attack to bring his grabber along with him.[/quote']

Or you could have a 3d6 Drain vs. Stun, Damage Shield [+1/2], Linked to Teleport[-1/2]

Add Autofire ? Shots [+1] to represent Nightcrawlers rapid Teleport Attacks.

Has anybody else thought that the name Nightcrawler was just wrong for this character. I mean nightcrawlers are worm right ;)

Cheers

QM

Or you could have a 3d6 Drain vs. Stun' date=' Damage Shield [+1/2'], Linked to Teleport[-1/2]

Add Autofire ? Shots [+1] to represent Nightcrawlers rapid Teleport Attacks.

Has anybody else thought that the name Nightcrawler was just wrong for this character. I mean nightcrawlers are worm right ;)

Cheers

QM

Read the teleport sickness power. It does just what you are looking for. And he has to teleport the person.

Nice right up' date=' the following is a critique, so I am pointing out things I disagree with/would do different, overall I think you did a better job than I could...[/quote']

Borrowed your disclaimer JmOz as I feel the same way.

I would also have used the Images power instead of Shape Shift to represent the Image Inducer. Could represent it more accurately and save you some points (a rare thing in HERO).

Here is version 2.

Nightcrawler

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
35 DEX 75
20 CON 20
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
14 EGO 8
20 PRE 10
14 COM 2
8 PD 5
6 ED 2
8 SPD 35
8 REC 2
40 END 0
28 STUN 0
8" RUN42" SWIM06" LEAP3Characteristics Cost: 174

Cost Power END
5 Prehensile Tail : Extra Limb (1), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Limited Manipulation (-1/4) 0
3 Dark Blue Fur: +2 with any three related Skills (6 Active Points); Limited Power: in in dark/ shadowy areas Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1) [Notes: With Stealth, Shadowing, and Concealment]
5 Nightvision 0
7 Wall Climbing: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Requires A Climbing Roll (-1/2) 0
60 Bampfing: Teleportation 20", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass 6
12 Teleportation sickness: EB 5d6, NND ([standard]; defense is having teleportation or not having a nervous system.; +1) (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x4 END; -1 1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Power (Must follow grab, Must teleport with subject, must be able to teleport subject; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (takes 1/4 damage done to target; -1/2), Linked (Bampfing; Lesser Power need not be used proportionally to Power with which it is Linked; -1/4) 20
15 Image Inducer: Shape Shift (Sight Group), Instant Change, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); IAF (-1/2) 0
Powers Cost: 107

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Italian Style Fencing
5 1) Takeaway: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, +10 str to take away weapon
4 2) Void: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects all attacks, Abort
1 3) Weapon Element: Default Element, Empty Hand
Other Manuvers
4 1) Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 5d6 Strike
5 2) Leap Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 7d6 Strike
Martial Arts Cost: 19

Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 16-
3 Acting 13-
3 Breakfall 16-
3 Climbing 16-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Contortionist 16-
1 Disguise 8-
1 High Society 8-
2 KS: Errol Flynn Movies 11-
3 Language: English (completely fluent) [Notes: German, Native]
2 PS: Circus Performer 11-
3 Seduction 13-
5 Shadowing 13-
1 Sleight Of Hand 8-
3 Stealth 16-
2 WF: Blades, Clubs, Fist-Loads, Off Hand, Unarmed Combat
Skills Cost: 41

Cost Talent
3 Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talents Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
15 DF: Looks like a Demon: (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 DF: Three Fingered Hands and Feet: (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 DF Noticable Accent: (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5 DF: Mutant: (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10 Hunted: Anti-Mutant Zealots 11- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Mystique 11- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code of Honor (Common, Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: Very Religious CvK (Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Showoff, Flamboyant (Very Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Strong)
0 DNPC: Magdala, Stepmother 8- (As powerful as the PC)
0 DNPC: Amanda Steffon, On again/off again GF 11- (As powerful as the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
10 Reputation: Member of the X-Men, 11-
5 Reputation: Swashbuckler, 8-
15 Social Limitation: Member of the X-Men (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Borrowed your disclaimer JmOz as I feel the same way.

QUOTE]

I would also like to steal JMOZ's disclaimer. I think you did a great job.

Three quick items:

1. I would add the call for a TPort MP with Long Port (x a ton NCM), normal (x2 wt) and combat jump (no adders or wt multipliers).

2. Related to the first, you could put the NND attack into an MP (and eliminate the link to the Tport) with the SFX that Nightcrawler ports around, ending up back where he started from. Therefore, the SFX is moving around, while the game mechanic is just an NND. However, I do not know if this accurately reflects how the power is used by the comic book character.

3. I also agree with the person who commented on the climbing/clinging. I am not calling on you to change it as it is completely a stylistic choice, I would like to note that the cost of having the RSR or not are the same. The RSR saves 3 pts, the cost of the Climbing skill. It is a wash either way.

Well done.

The right-up looks great!

A few things about the DFs though:

First, I definately think it's double/tripple dipping to list demonic appearance, funny hands and the accent as three seperate Disads. As it states in the rules, having several aspects to your appearance doesn't make you more distinctive. I might let the accent slide as a seperate one, as it can't be disguised like the other two can though. Then again, I wouldn't allow a distinguished accent as a DF at all, as I don't feel it's any more a Disad that what nationality he is. In any case, the first two would be Easily Concealable because of the Image Inducer.

Version 2 comments:

Prehensile Tail might or might not be limited manipulation. He does a lot with it, including turning on lights and typing into a computer.

Dark Blue Fur is not a legal construct due to the fact that skill levels must be a minimum of 5 points if they have a limitation on them.

I'd drop the fencing martial arts in place for some levels with swords/rapiers and replace it with some combat martial arts. Otherwise the character is running around doing 3d6 damage.

I agree with the others that "looks like a demon" should include the three fingers DF as well.

Other than that it looks good.