PREDATORS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: PREDATORS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

hmm, Dark Champions games frequently involve difficult morality questions, so a few morality question inducing villians are in order.

A 14-year old kid. Make him do very bad things. Dark champions players will want to walk into the situation wanting to blow away the rapist, but what if the rapist is a minor?

A mentally challenged man. I'm seeing a low level drug dealer. When the PC's come, he pulls a gun. Do the PC's just back off or do they kill a man who can't understand what he's doing?

A woman who kills her boyfriend for beating her one too many times (or maybe she cuts off his who-ha instead). Some PC's will want to side with her, cuz he got what he deserved. Some PC's will want to bring her in, because they believe in letting courts decide who gets punished how. Some will try to compromise by stealing back the Who-Ha so the poor man can get it sewn back on, and still let the girl go.

Oh, does the champs universe have any really annoying lobby groups? I'm seeing a PETA varient. Those don't create any moral ambiguity, just "who gets to shoot first" *kidding*

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see a section called Shades of Grey (or possibly Shades of Black), or something like that, full of characters that you can't honestly say from encounter to encounter whether they are good guys or bad guys. The DC Universe, if you'll pardon the pun, is exactly the place to explore this sort of thing. What's better than the moment when the guy you thought was your enemy saves you from falling off that roof top?

Example: You could have a serial killer that more often than not puts down bad guys, but whose internal logic eventually compels him to kill a child, a nun, or the mayor.

Example: An arms dealer that hates drug dealers. He goes after them in his spare time, but is more than happy to keep terrorists well stocked.

Maybe I'm the exception, but I take my Dark Champions black - no cream or sugar.

Whatever you do with Predators, keep those streets wet & grimy.

Love & Kisses,

CorPse

I'd love to see a section called Shades of Grey (or possibly Shades of Black), or something like that, full of characters that you can't honestly say from encounter to encounter whether they are good guys or bad guys . . .

Example: You could have a serial killer that more often than not puts down bad guys, but whose internal logic eventually compels him to kill a child, a nun, or the mayor.

OK, I can honestly say this guy is a bad guy. Nevertheless, I like the idea of morally ambiguous characters and scum-bags who can make useful allies.

The two things that really would make me interested in the book would be:

1. As others have mentioned, the "conversion" info for regular Champs.

2. A decent section on "support" personnel. People who help the criminals but who don't get into trouble because they don't do anything that is illegal - or at least not traceable. Fences, snitches and the like. Also, a Tinkerer type character from Marvel. Someone who provides arms but who doesn't ever commit crimes with them. Maybe a Justin Hammer type who provides "favors" in exchange for a percentage of the take - but who doesn't keep records.

OK' date=' I can honestly say this guy is a bad guy. Nevertheless, I like the idea of morally ambiguous characters and scum-bags who can make useful allies.[/quote']

Dangit! You posted my idea! :) (or is this a case of great minds posting alike?)

How about if instead of going unhinged he takes his time when he kills the badguys? Yeah he goes after the badguys...but does he take it too far? (think: "Keven Spacy in Seven when he tied the guy to the bed for a full year"-type too far.

What I would like to see: Secret government organizations whose purpose is to go after vigilantes, and/or secret government organizaions who have gone rogue but are so secret their carte blanche covers for it.

And along those lines.........revolutionaries. Home grown terrorists who are either ex or current military who do not like the direction the city/state/country is heading or the current state of affairs. Something along the lines of the main baddies from the movie "The Rock".

So, I thought I'd start a brief "what do you want to see?" thread. :bmk:

...I thought I'd start this thread in case anyone had any ideas they felt like expressing.

Continuity, continuity, continuity.

If you're updating a villain from a previous edition, please don't pretend like the villain's 4E write-up and usage never happened. If you have villains you don't plan on using ever again (say, CLOWN) perhaps you could include their deaths or capture in someone's history. Maybe if you use one as a survivor, you could say something like "Bob is the only member of gang X to have lived through :bmk: rampage in the 90's."

If you may want to use a villain (say, Ted), or group of villains down the road, but aren't sure if it will happen, just put in something such as "Predator Sam last worked with Ted during the 'hotter than an oven' month in Hudson City in 2002. Ted hasn't been seen since, but is rumored to be living in Country B."

While I may not buy source material for DC (since I have almost all of the 4E items), I am willing to purchase villains & allies books, especially now since in my 4-color-ish campaign, the PCs have a fondness of breaking villains and not caring if they die. :straight: I've given them the offer of seeing if they want to play DC and an update (as opposed to revision) on the villains would be much appreciated by some of us veterans.

And heck, maybe an actual Predator-clone. Some alien that comes down during a specific season (summer or winter) and hunts trophies. Maybe hunts those over 200 points? (Not that it could detect points, but that it would detect by observation the skill/threat.) It not only hunts villains, but vigilantes and maybe a superhero as well.

And heck' date=' maybe an actual Predator-clone. Some alien that comes down during a specific season (summer or winter) and hunts trophies.[/quote']

Interesting. There's certainly a Champs precendence for this (Firewing and all those fancy aliens built on a LOT of points.) The DC Universe, hehehe - get those lawyers working, could probably stand up to something like this.

I like it.

Just another something I can kill without feelin' all sorry and weepy about it.

RIP,

CorPse

Interesting. There's certainly a Champs precendence for this (Firewing and all those fancy aliens built on a LOT of points.) The DC Universe, hehehe - get those lawyers working, could probably stand up to something like this.

I like it.

Well, there's even been a Champions write-up for it, too. I believe it was in Alien Enemies, (or a similar sounding title), but my copy of that has been so long gone I can't remember. :(

If you're updating a villain from a previous edition' date=' [i']please[/i] don't pretend like the villain's 4E write-up and usage never happened.
It's already too late, and it's not pretending any more. None of the 4E history every happened -- the whole Champions Universe (and Dark Champions Universe) is all-new. There are some characters in common, but like DC's old Earth-1 and Earth-2 settings, they're completely separate.

That's not new; it's been like that since "Champions Universe" came out.

It's already too late' date=' and it's not pretending any more. None of the 4E history every happened -- the whole Champions Universe (and Dark Champions Universe) is all-new.[/quote']

Well, crud, another disappointing genre. :straight: In this case, don't mind what I have to say, as I'll be using 4E material and I won't be your target audience. I *may* pick up the Predators, but I'll have to glance through it somewhere (store or player's copy) first.

There are some characters in common' date=' but like DC's old Earth-1 and Earth-2 settings, they're completely separate.[/quote']

That may be, but I bet there won't be a crossover!