Storn Art from Idea to Full Picture Year 2

death tribble

How about instead of an "energy projector" icemaker, it's a "brick" or "powered armor" icemaker.

With big, hulking ice armor, maybe on the scale of a small mecha, with the icemaker himself (or herself) visible deeper inside the ice armor. Could still use the spiky, icicle motif, AND the spreading frost motif, too.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Storn Art from Idea to Full Picture Year 2

How about instead of an "energy projector" icemaker, it's a "brick" or "powered armor" icemaker.

With big, hulking ice armor, maybe on the scale of a small mecha, with the icemaker himself (or herself) visible deeper inside the ice armor. Could still use the spiky, icicle motif, AND the spreading frost motif, too.

You mean like Mr.Freeze?

I would like to suggest a 'cold fire' (maybe with 'cold smoke') motif instead of icicles - the character would not be cold (a lack of heat), as much as they would have an anti-energy power that cancels heat energy.

Perhaps it easier to describe what I'm picturing by example. Picture if you took the Dormammu (the Dr. Strange villain with the flaming head) and surrounded him in an ice-form.

What I'm thinking is that the body is basically clear ice, but that within it is a fiery form that the ice is trying to contain and keep cool. It could be there to correct a genetic issue (The original hero/villain/normal was in danger of spontaneous combustion).

Personally I don't like the ice armor idea, but I do like the idea of the clear body. Perhaps the body is clear, and there is a layer of frost on top of that like you would see in an arctic scene, and then the icicles grow from the ice body due to the melting of the ice, and/or the freezing of the air around the figure. Therefore the icicles don't necessarily need to be straight or hanging down.

Perhaps the veins look like little streams of water underneath the ice?

Or to take Blue's idea, internally the organs are fire that rages to maintain normal body temperature (it's comic physics...), and when the character gets fighting the internal temperature climbs and thus more ice melts, and creates even more icicles.

Hello everyone,

I had a ice-themed character over on HeroCentral that I had gobs of fun with. She was an energy projector but her power was called "ice-fire". Bluish-white flames would surround her as a force field and streak out as an attack. Picture the Human Torch but with shades of cool colors rather than warm.

She could also drop the temperature about 6 levels - the color to that power was that her skin would turn colorless and her hair would turn a brilliant blue.

(my 2 cents)

A few years back I was gearing up for a Dark Champions campaign and my ex came up with a concept that I'd love to see Storns take on...

Street level female vigalante who was basically a Boston irish punk/rivethead/ semi goth who becomes an Avatar of the Morrigan after being jumped by a gang one night and left for dead...

Battle Madness/Death/Precognition related powers, lots of flocks of ravens and the like as SFX, Celtic knotwork/spiralwork tattoos, typical punk industrial scene leathers/fishnets/ spikes along the Iron age style (early Irish goddess...maybe I should say Bronze age :P) leafbladed shortsword, maybe a bit of chainmail for accent, redhead (natch) probably shaved on the sides, perhaps lots of little war braids...

Thought it might be an idea y'all could run with

*edit* afterthought...

Possible names are rife in mythology...

Badhbh (bav) :Rage/fury/violence

Macha (ma-ka) :Mighty

Neamhan (Nee-van) :Venomous

were the three we were considering

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a lot of discussion lately in other threads about supers in the real world. That is what do supers do with their powers when not punching bad guys? It also happens to be a topic I like to explore a lot.

Hows this for an idea?

The illustration is of a man trudging toward the viewer. He wears blue jeans, cowboy boots, a plaid flannel shirt and a cowboy hat. He looks like a typical trucker you will find in any truckstop in America. He has both hands on a heavy chain which goes over his shoulder to the tractor-trailor rig he is pulling behind him. He is not straining much really, just walking. Smoke/steam rises from the engine compartment of the semi.

If this illustration is to be a whole scene, the man can be pulling the rig into a truck stop off the interstate and patron gape out the window slack jawed.

Just one I always wanted to see. A super having to deal with everyday issues, like overheating on the highway.

The trouble with Ken's ID as above is that it would cost more. For $45 you get a single figure. Anything else is extra.

Good idea for a book illo though.

And we need more than just the ice ideas. The entombed idea has been depicted in D20 so I am not keen on that at all.

Remember as I am paying for this I have to be convinced as well.

How about an Elf-like inventor with a Elf styled (delicate, intricate) powered armor suit?

Just came to me.

If not, how about a "Thor" style Weapons Brick with trappings of Chinese, Egyptian, Native American, African, or Hindu stylings?

A Freewilled Robot?

Oh! A spell using Android!

And we need more than just the ice ideas. The entombed idea has been depicted in D20 so I am not keen on that at all.

I know it was only a page back, DT, but maybe if you re-listed the ones you consider the front-runners at this time that would spur renewed discussion and/or inspiration.

Hmm ... Ice abilities ...

How about a character called "Dry Ice" that either wears a suit of armor that has cryo-exhaust or has a blue-grey costume that has a fog around him. Perhaps he could be akin to Killer Frost and drains body heat, freezing his targets?

As an odd turn, how about a character that goes Viking/Asguardian called "Ymir". Big brick with an enchanted Ice Weapon?

Or a psionicist that sees their breath whenever their powers are used. They could have a power set revolviong around mental entangles and supresses ... maybe call them "Brainfreeze"?

Is it? I thought there was talk about being an ice picture?

Well, Storn did express an interest in such ideas, but DT seems to have some reservations:

So I'd guess that if your ice concept didn't involve an entombed-in-ice motif, you might be able to convince DT of its worthiness. Otherwise, he's requesting more ideas.

So the answer is "Yes".

• 3 weeks later...

The other ones we are running with are:-

Enforcer84's vain female energy projector, the Asgardian Anime inspired Power Armour guy and Corsair/Aquatic brick.

Sketchpad's aquatic hero, the monstrous humanoid or god/epic hero.

Taximan's Plant

All of Levi's ideas.

My Cardinal and Angel.

RPMIller's Ice hero/villain

Crackerjack's boxer

Susano and Lightray's alternate holy character ideas.

CBikle's Image style hero.

Enforcer84's spell using Android and other god type with weapon

And for the record Ice is in. I just don't want one thing at the end but a choice of two or three. This will be the May request so we have the rest of the month to get this right and probably until May 3rd.

The other ones we are running with are:-

Enforcer84's vain female energy projector, the Asgardian Anime inspired Power Armour guy and Corsair/Aquatic brick.

Taximan's Plant

All of Levi's ideas.

My Cardinal and Angel.

Crackerjack's boxer

And for the record Ice is in. I just don't want one thing at the end but a choice of two or three. This will be the May request so we have the rest of the month to get this right and probably until May 3rd.

er.. the Asgardian Powerwed Armor guy has been paid for. Just awaiting the arrival...I got impatient :o

er.. the Asgardian Powerwed Armor guy has been paid for. Just awaiting the arrival...I got impatient :o

Verily, tis inked.... but must await cosmic chroma til pesky cards for some other company are completed! (it will be a few days.)

Well, I'm working on an Ice based PC to take the place of my Speedster (The Tornado..already drawn by Storn but I think he's labeled Twister on the website) after he retires, so I can give you a few of the ideas I was thinking about for him if there is in fact still interest in Ice based characters.

His name is Frostbite, and I wanted to depart somewhat from the Iceman clone ideal. So, to that end, he doesn't have Ice Slide powers and isn't particularly quick or dodgy. In fact, he's more or less an artillery tank.

He DOES make his own armor out of his own Cryokenetic abilities, as opposed to relying on there being moisture present in the air to freeze. It's created via a chemical process going on inside his body because of a symbiotic martian essence living inside him...but I digress.

As I've been envisioning the character, instead of looking like just an ordinary guy except iced over when he "ices up" I had thought about him icing up with some sort of space-age looking armor sculpted from the Ice. I had been thinking something along the lines of a Terran Marine from Starcraft, except the suit is all Ice. Makes him look bigger and tougher to make up for his lack of speed and mobility (he has no movement powers other than the standard running/leaping/swimming powers.) The Armor is pretty strong (20/20, which is good for a starting character in this campaign...I would say not QUITE starting Brick levels, but close.)

In addition to his Ice Armor FF, his EC also includes the standard Ice Blast EB, Ice Block entangle, Ice Wall FW, and Ice Sheet CE.

Don't know if that helps you conceptually at all, but since you were talking about Ice character ideas, I thought I'd share.

The other character idea I'm working on fleshing out is a Supermage - Robed, Hooded, Dark hued Reds and Blues...or possibly Blue and Yellow but not wanting to turn him into Dr. Fate, and some sort of cool arcane runic-looking symbol for his insignia..but there's already a pretty sweet looking supermage over on Storn's site w/ some cool looking cosmic spandex...so I may end up going w/ that. Anyway, that character's name is Dr. Impossible.

So we are left with:-

Enforcer84's vain female energy projector and Corsair/Aquatic brick.

Taximan's Plant

All of Levi's ideas.

My Cardinal and Angel.

Crackerjack's boxer

There will be NO poll. The choice is Storn and mine. Selfish ? certainly but I am the one paying for the commission so it has to be something I want and that Storn wants to do.

Besides you'll get a poll choice for voting on in July for August's commission like last year.

I thought of another idea. A 2 dimensional rogue like character. Either a Robin Hood type or a more selfish type. Either way, he/she would be able to turn 2 dimensional and slide through anything essentially passing through 3d space. If he/she turns sideways toward you, he/she would disappear.