More space news!

tkdguy

The current (November) issue of Discover has an article on the Starshot program. It notes that Starshot micro-probes also provide a way to quickly send probles to any, or every, asteroid and Kuiper Belt object that catches our interest. Each probe can't carry much instrumentation, but when probes cost so little and Pluto is only three days away, heck, just send as many as you need.

Dean Shomshak

According to my local newspaper, Nature just published an article about new cratering on the Moon. The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter gives us an extended view of the surface and how it might be changing. In brief, it is, much more than astronomers thought.

EDIT: You can get to a Gizmodo article about this from the number-of-galaxies article link posted by NuSoardGraphite.

Also, on BBC today I heard an interview with a planetologist who suggests that 3 billion years ago, the climate on Venus could have been much like that on Earth today; ie., temperatures and air pressure about the same. Reason? The Sun was only 70% as bright then. So, there would have been running water -- and therefore life. No proof of it, of course, but no reason to doubt it either.

Dean Shomshak

Also, on BBC today I heard an interview with a planetologist who suggests that 3 billion years ago, the climate on Venus could have been much like that on Earth today; ie., temperatures and air pressure about the same. Reason? The Sun was only 70% as bright then. So, there would have been running water -- and therefore life. No proof of it, of course, but no reason to doubt it either.

The Venus scenario is one I remember reading back in the late '90s, maybe as late as 2000, in Scientific American. The terrifying thing is that when the oceans go, more or less the whole oceanic crust melts and goes volcanic, and the continental crust also gets buried in fresh volcanism, and the common sedimentary rocks are cooked into different mineral forms. Not even fossils are left after that episode, which makes it more or less impossible to know one way or other at this time, even if we were able to operate on Venus's surface.

The good news is that the orbiter has successfully entered its orbit.  The bad news is that expected signals from the lander have not yet been received.  It's not clear yet whether this is due to some sort of comms or software problem, or an outright crash.  AIUI the orbiter observed the landing but needs to aim its high gain antenna back at us before it can transmit.

700 sextillion stars. That's...700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars. I wonder what this does to the idea of "dark matter" and "dark energy". I mean, we just "found" the missing mass!

Essentially yes. They always said that 90% of the mass was "dark". If there are 10-20 times the number of galaxies, then there's the answer. So Dark Matter is a non starter, but that still doesnt solve the "dark energy" delimma

Um, no.  Not at all.  As far as I can tell from the story here and from other sources, almost all of the 'new' galaxies are dwarf galaxies not properly accounted for in earlier estimates.  The 100 billion galaxy number has been around for a long time, dating back to the days when the Milky Way only had a few satellite galaxies, instead of the 50 known today.  And the mass contained there isn't quite enough to explain dark matter.

Also, it's the wrong shape to explain dark matter, since dark matter must be inside known galaxies to explain how they rotate.  And certain other observed things I'm not actually qualified to explain

Um, no. Not at all. As far as I can tell from the story here and from other sources, almost all of the 'new' galaxies are dwarf galaxies not properly accounted for in earlier estimates. The 100 billion galaxy number has been around for a long time, dating back to the days when the Milky Way only had a few satellite galaxies, instead of the 50 known today. And the mass contained there isn't quite enough to explain dark matter.

That many dwarf galaxies? 10 to 20 times the previous estimation? Pushing the number of galaxies from 100 billion to 1 to 2 trillion?

Also, it's the wrong shape to explain dark matter, since dark matter must be inside known galaxies to explain how they rotate. And certain other observed things I'm not actually qualified to explain

Wasnt Dark Mattr originally theorized to explain the movement of galaxies (not individual stars) in a galactic cluster, and wouldnt the presence of ten times the number of galaxies have a tangible effect on that movement?

No, dark matter is for explaining the orbits of individual stars in a galaxy -- the visible mass of the galaxy is too little to account for the orbits of the individual stars.

I was pretty certain it was about the stars inside a galaxy being effected by the gravity of something outside the galaxy, generally speaking, surrounding the galaxy. Like perhaps cluster of dwarf galaxies. Numerous but individually too dim to notice on their own merit.

I was pretty certain it was about the stars inside a galaxy being effected by the gravity of something outside the galaxy, generally speaking, surrounding the galaxy. Like perhaps cluster of dwarf galaxies. Numerous but individually too dim to notice on their own merit.

I re-read on it on Wikipedia.

The main problem is that at thier rotational speed, the outliying stars of our galaxy would have to fly off. The centrifugal/innterial force of thier movement is greater then the gravity excerted by the visible mater. By a order of magnitude.

Plus there appaers to be an effect on gavitic lenseing through galaxies.