More space news!

tkdguy

Not news, but an interesting article on how the night sky looks like on Mars

http://www.space.com/28403-astronauts-mars-skywatching-phobos-deimos.html

And from Alpha Centauri

https://www.quora.com/Astronomy-What-would-the-night-sky-look-like-from-the-vantage-point-of-Alpha-Centauri

I don't remember if this one has been posted here: Exoplanet in the Hyades cluster

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/exoplanet-in-hyades-star-cluster-0703201623/

Saw that.  It's a solar twin (same spectral type as the Sun) with a known "warm Neptune" orbiting it.  This is 16+/-3 earth masses, in a 40-day orbit.

My reading is that "strong" is way too optimistic, and "possible" is a better word.  OTOH, we've had an out-of-infinity discovery announced already in the last month, so let's go for a second.

And of course, according to the article, the default "aliens are much more advanced than us" viewpoint had to be thrown out. Bah I say! Sniveling scientist bastards. ;) 

Personally, I would have to say I'm much more interested in Planet Nine/X. That sounds really cool and not just because it is far away from the Sun. That creates story/game ideas.

Well, there is one thing: if we are detecting their signals now, at a distance of 94 ly, then they are ahead of us, if only by half a century or so. It'll be a few decades before detectable power from Earth's radio emissions will reach there.

The way I see it, we'd better hurry up and colonize that Proxima Centauri planet before these other guys do.

Proxima is about the same distance from them as we are, so we have a 90 l-y head start. Not that we can afford to get complacent, of course.

How old is HDwhatever?

The best paper for that is a 2015 one in the European journal Astronomy & Astrophysics, and their subscription fee for non-Europeans is so insanely high that many USers will have to wait for the open access to kick in a few years ... before I can check that.

Making some assumptions based on the lithium abundance in the US journal, it's close to the same age as the Sun, possibly a smidge older.