More space news!

tkdguy

Mars Dust is Toxic

To the extent that it may make meaningful manned visits to Mars too deadly to be feasible.

?? Did anyone ever think all you needed was a breather mask on Mars? The biology experiment package on the Viking landers in 1976 told you the martian soil was reactive with water and organics. That means you have had to think all along about keeping soil (and dust, because there is a vast amount of dust on Mars) out of the human-occupied spaces, in addition to the native atmosphere gas (which, famously, is also lethal).

Mars Dust is Toxic

To the extent that it may make meaningful manned visits to Mars too deadly to be feasible.

What is lethal about the Martian atmosphere? I know CO2 is somewhat toxic, and that there is very little of any kind of atmosphere on Mars in the first place. But if you were to stand naked on Mars and take a few deep breaths, what would happen?

Mars Dust is Toxic

Well, it's below the critical pressure for water, so the liquid phase water in your mouth/nose, throat, and lungs will partly freeze, partly evaporate pretty quickly. You won't get the Total Recall rubber-face scene (which is what I was referring to with "famously"), but it won't be a happy experience.

Most of the videos I found looking for the water-below-triple-point-pressure situation have the demonstrators having water in a dish in a chamber while they are pumping down the pressure, so the approach is gradual. I would be interested to see what would happen if you suddenly cracked open a sealed container of water in a 1 torr environment. My guess is something like the cracking open the shaken-warm-bottle-of-soda mess, but solid residue at the end rather than puddle.

And if you did get martian atmosphere gas up to breatheable pressure, the CO2 content is quite lethal, though I don't think rapidly so.

Help! I thought I post a link to an articule on the Rebuilding of the Saturn Five rocket. I tried to googgle and search it and empty., It was a large articule on how the techniques and how with modern methods they got an engine with 100 parts.

any leads

thanks Lord Ghee

Help! I thought I post a link to an articule on the Rebuilding of the Saturn Five rocket. I tried to googgle and search it and empty., It was a large articule on how the techniques and how with modern methods they got an engine with 100 parts.

any leads

thanks Lord Ghee

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/01/saturn-v-moon-rocket-engine-firing-again-after-40-years-sort-of/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/16/f-1-moon-rocket/viewall

Probably the Wired article.

The Cassini Radar Team has published a global topographic map of Titan, albeit one with lots of interpolation and smoothing. I haven't found a discussion that isn't behind a subscriber wall yet, but a couple of different versions of the map are available free at NASA's Planetary Photojournal: a funky black and white version (PIA16848) and a color version showing the swaths of radar data (PIA16849).

Relief on Titan is subdued: maximum height to lowest surface point is no more than 2400 meters difference in elevation. The highlands tend toward low latitudes, low spots are at high latitudes.

Chasing the NASA release (
), a rock a foot or slightly bigger (0.3 - 0.4 m), about 40 kg, impact velocity about 25 km/sec, made a flash that peaked at about visual magnitude 4. Energy yield estimated about 5 kilotons equivalent. Brightest impact flash in the 8 years we've been watching.