I'm Turnin' to Stone

Dust Raven

Gotta bit of a thought to toss out to the wolves...

When you use a Transform to turn a targe to stone (or any other inanimate substance or object), does the target retain awareness of its surroundings, capacity for thought and other aspects of the mind, and can that mind be contacted with Mental Powers or contact other minds with Mental Powers? It occurs to me that just turning someone to stone (a purely physical transformation) won't change anything about the mind, but would it still allow to block that mind from the world around it?

Re: I'm Turnin' to Stone

I think the perception of a person transformed depends on what they are transformed to.

A living thing: yes, whatever senses said thing has.

A non-living thing: no, statues can not see.

To continue with the statue transform, you still retain your mind and soul... So I would imagine that anythone with Mental powers would be able to contact the mind trapped in the statue (which I would imagine be a lot like a sensory deprivation chamber) and communicate with it.

On the other hand, perhaps the mind and soul go into some kind of stasis and have no perception of anything inward or otherwise. In that case, I'm not sure if anything would be able to interact with the trapped mind.

Perhaps it's a bit of both...

Either way, I would assume that anything transformed into a Statue cannot see/hear/speak/smell/taste or feel anything unless the Transform left any of the tactile senses in place.. "Transform into Status With Eyes" for example.

In fact.. if you did a Transform to Statue with Eyes and the mind could perceive you could conceivably use said statue to see through with Mind Link... ooh, spies. the villains castle is lined with statues in every hall that the villain uses to spy on anyone in his domain with.

Eh. I think if you Transform someone into something completely non-functional, it is really a toss up as to whether they still, "retain their mind and soul." They very well may not, at least for the time being. They just haven't been Transformed into anything useful to the attacker either. What really matters is that once the Transform is reversed (however that is defined as happening), the person is alive and well again (er, provided no one has decided to chip off his/her arm). So I think it is completely up to the GM (and/or the player who defined the Transform, depending on how much the GM allows the player to define). It may even vary between different Special Effects or concepts.

Gotta bit of a thought to toss out to the wolves...

When you use a Transform to turn a targe to stone (or any other inanimate substance or object), does the target retain awareness of its surroundings, capacity for thought and other aspects of the mind, and can that mind be contacted with Mental Powers or contact other minds with Mental Powers? It occurs to me that just turning someone to stone (a purely physical transformation) won't change anything about the mind, but would it still allow to block that mind from the world around it?

Strictly depends on the SFX of the power.

- Christopher Mullins

I would think of them in stasis. Since there brain is solid stone, they can't really think. But the stone does not destroy there spirit, so they are not dead.

My opinion is they can not do ANYTHING while turned to stone, but if reverted back to flesh they should be dazed for a moment and not know what went on while they were stone.

I think it's generally the GM's call because there's such a wide range of things you can be changed into.

"I change the prince into a Toad". GM could argue that you need the "Animal" class of minds before you could telepathically communicate with him.

"With a touch I turn her to gold!" I'd argue that if she's gold thorugh-and-through then she can't be communicated with and wouldn't remember anything that happened during that time of transformation, but in an appropriate game I'd rule the other way. (Like if it was important for the heroes to hear about the villain's vain boasting to his statues about his dastardly plan).

...cos you ain't comin' home...

Hmm, who will be the voice of dissent...Howdy y'all. :D

Transform can work in three ways: physical, mental and spiritual. Each element has to be defined when the power is built: a physical transform can not mentally transform a target, or spiritually transform it.

If you physically transform a target into a stone statue, I can see no good reason it shuold have any of its physical senses: statues don't, but the mind should still work, including any mental powers (and vulnerability to mental powers) that don't have a physical component (like requires eye contact), and the spirit should still reside there.

If that makes no real sense, and let's face it, were talking about turning someone to stone, so there are no real guidelines to apply here, then you need to build the power differently. It probably makes more sense to have the target in some sort of stasis, so I'd argue that the power should be built as a physical AND mental transform AND, quite possibly, a spiritual one too.

While we a re on the subject, sometimes it might be useful to be turned to stone: the room is about to be flooded with flesh eating acid: stone will give you life support and immunity to flesh eating acid, so when is a transform something thatgives you powers, i.e. when is it something you need a higher effecct than 2xBODY to complete? The answer to thatone probably involves the words 'judgement call', but can anyone thing of any broad guidlines that might be useful?

The first thing i thought of was Han Solo in carbonite. I know his body didnt turn to stone. But just curious was his mind in stasis? I think it was but, I am know good in interpreting a coherent plotline out of Lucas so I am unsure.

Also if the mind still works in the statue that the character's body has been turned into. Wouldnt it be likely that the mind of the character would run the risk of eventually going a bit mad?

...cos you ain't comin' home...

...If I'm turning to stone... You've been gone for so long... And I can't carry on... Yes I'm turning,I'm turning, I'm turning to stone

Hmm, who will be the voice of dissent...Howdy y'all. :D

Transform can work in three ways: physical, mental and spiritual. Each element has to be defined when the power is built: a physical transform can not mentally transform a target, or spiritually transform it.

If you physically transform a target into a stone statue, I can see no good reason it shuold have any of its physical senses: statues don't, but the mind should still work, including any mental powers (and vulnerability to mental powers) that don't have a physical component (like requires eye contact), and the spirit should still reside there.

If that makes no real sense, and let's face it, were talking about turning someone to stone, so there are no real guidelines to apply here, then you need to build the power differently. It probably makes more sense to have the target in some sort of stasis, so I'd argue that the power should be built as a physical AND mental transform AND, quite possibly, a spiritual one too.

While we a re on the subject, sometimes it might be useful to be turned to stone: the room is about to be flooded with flesh eating acid: stone will give you life support and immunity to flesh eating acid, so when is a transform something thatgives you powers, i.e. when is it something you need a higher effecct than 2xBODY to complete? The answer to thatone probably involves the words 'judgement call', but can anyone thing of any broad guidlines that might be useful?

Good points. But if being turned to stone doesn't actually alter the mind at all, but just keeps that mind from interacting with the world around the character's body (which is now stone), would that still count as a Mental Transform, or just a Physical Transform that shuts the brain off?

I think I would probably just deal with it as a GM when it came up. Would I allow them to use Mental Powers? Maybe, but I might give them a limited time to do it, seeing as they will probably lose all sense of reality in little time. Would I allow them to, "remember," the time that elapsed? Maybe, but who without Absolute Time Sense would really be able to judge the time without any senses or any biological queues to go by?

I'm willing to bet my interpretation would change based upon whether it was a Superherioc game or a Heroic one, and upon the general, "reality level," as well. I wouldn't think it unheard of for a superhero to call in the help mentally if turned into stone, but a fantasy wizard? Probably not, unless (s)he had set up magical contingencies.

Dust Raven!

Foxx!! (I needed two !s)

Why are we yelling at each other? :)

Anyways, I think my question is answered. For once the vague and mysterious "it depends/varies" squarely answers my question. A normal Transform may shut down/out the mental faculties without actually causing a change in them, but it doesn't have to (which is the duh part ;)).

[/i]

...If I'm turning to stone... You've been gone for so long... And I can't carry on... Yes I'm turning,I'm turning, I'm turning to stone

Good points. But if being turned to stone doesn't actually alter the mind at all, but just keeps that mind from interacting with the world around the character's body (which is now stone), would that still count as a Mental Transform, or just a Physical Transform that shuts the brain off?

Well, just throwing it out, but say you have the Stoner character facing an enemy mentalist, knowing he has the mental defence to prevent the telepathy getting vital information out of his head, but his team brick doesn't (in any event the team brick always gets mind controlled and turns on the rest). He stones the brick, giving him, in effect, mental invulnerability.

Sounds potentially abusive to me. If the mind was still there, the brick could still be read (and mind controlled to rampage when he is no longer Stoned). In effect you are adding powers. It may just be sfx, but the way the power is written, to do anything to the mind (change it or just make it 'not there') you should use a mental transform.

So I guess I'm kinda in the 'it depends' camp too.

Y'all !!!!

Well, just throwing it out, but say you have the Stoner character facing an enemy mentalist, knowing he has the mental defence to prevent the telepathy getting vital information out of his head, but his team brick doesn't (in any event the team brick always gets mind controlled and turns on the rest). He stones the brick, giving him, in effect, mental invulnerability.

Sounds potentially abusive to me. If the mind was still there, the brick could still be read (and mind controlled to rampage when he is no longer Stoned). In effect you are adding powers. It may just be sfx, but the way the power is written, to do anything to the mind (change it or just make it 'not there') you should use a mental transform.

So I guess I'm kinda in the 'it depends' camp too.

So turning someone to stone, completely imobolizing them, making so they can't perceive the world around them and effectively removing them from reality and making it impossible for them to call for help even mentally or others to mentally reach them to find out what happened isn't enough of a balance for complete invulnerability to Mental Powers? :)

So turning someone to stone' date=' completely imobolizing them, making so they can't perceive the world around them and effectively removing them from reality and making it impossible for them to call for help even mentally or others to mentally reach them to find out what happened isn't enough of a balance for complete invulnerability to Mental Powers? :)[/quote']

Well, it depends who you are doing it to: if it is your own team's brick as you know he'll be a liability against enemy mentalists, there would seem to be advantages stacked in favour of the mental invulnerability.

As for doing it to enemies, especially enemy mentalists, well, stoning an enemy mentalist could actually help them: they become physically hard to hurt, but if their mental powers still operate and they have mind scan, you've just bought yourself a whole heap of trouble: turning their mind off for free seems a bit of a bonus. In any event, if you can turn off a mentalist's powers with a physical transform that is probably a far better bet than using a mental transform on them: the former usually targets BODY, the latter EGO.

Mind you, I can be a bit of a skinflint about these things... :D

Another option for you: In Zelazny's _Dilvish, The Damned_ the act of turning Dilivish to stone turns his body to stone and transports his mind+spirit/soul to Hell.

...leading to the idea that while your body is an inanimate object, "you" are Somewhere Else...

Well' date=' it depends who you are doing it to: if it is your own team's brick as you know he'll be a liability against enemy mentalists, there would seem to be advantages stacked in favour of the mental invulnerability.[/quote'] and the difference between that and leavng the brick at home for that fight would be?

As for doing it to enemies, especially enemy mentalists, well, stoning an enemy mentalist could actually help them: they become physically hard to hurt, but if their mental powers still operate and they have mind scan, you've just bought yourself a whole heap of trouble: turning their mind off for free seems a bit of a bonus. In any event, if you can turn off a mentalist's powers with a physical transform that is probably a far better bet than using a mental transform on them: the former usually targets BODY, the latter EGO.

Mind you, I can be a bit of a skinflint about these things... :D

But if this were the case, I'd just turn my teams mentalist to stone every combat, and turn the enemies mentalist into a slug or something equally less vulnerable.

and the difference between that and leavng the brick at home for that fight would be?

But if this were the case, I'd just turn my teams mentalist to stone every combat, and turn the enemies mentalist into a slug or something equally less vulnerable.

1. The brick is already there. He tends to follow you.

2. Well, yes this is an interesting point: you can add powers to a character by getting a higher than normal effect roll with transform: at what point does something like turning to stone go from being an attack to 'adding powers'? It adds quite a lot of life support, Body and armour. It takes away plenty too, but you might not need the stuff it takes away while you are using the stuff it gives you. Oh it's all too complicated....

Anyway, the enemy mentalist would still be a psychic slug!

I'm just saying there is a potential for imbalance when you allow a physical transform to effect mental elements. Never had this problem in 4th ed....(or did we: I can't recall for the moment!)

I'm just saying there is a potential for imbalance when you allow a physical transform to effect mental elements. Never had this problem in 4th ed....(or did we: I can't recall for the moment!)

I never did. In 4th, a Transform was a Transform. You could change anything about the target. It was so simple. Weeeeee! :)

Lol! You guys...

I reckon it's all to do with how you build it. Sticking with the transform idea, I'd say that being a hunk of solid granite (or whatever) would pretty much rule out being used as a Mentalist's guinea pig/punching bag. Unless you've got psychometry that is. Sure our victim's Mind and Spirit weren't transformed mechanics-wise, but his physical brain has been.

Is this a free defense?

Think about it.

Let's use the previous example bove about The Brick and the "Stoner" attempting to take out a Mentalist. Our Stoner knowing that the mentalist will more than likely use the Brick as his puppet of doom decides on the fly that it might be a better idea to stone the Brick so as to deny the mentalist his chance to use and abuse him (mentally).

One surprised Brick turned to stone later, our Mentalist now has a choice... attempt to overwhelm the remaining Stoner, whom allegedly has decent mental defenses, or laugh at how the Stoner just did a better job of bettering his odds than the Mentalist could have thought of.

If our mentalist is quick enough on the uptake, (like I would) he could always find some nearby civilians to dominate and send them looking for appropriate tools to start smashing the now stoned Brick. (Perhaps stopping to try and beat up the Stoner Guy so he can't undo the transform).

NOW...

On the other hand, maybe the transform is one of those nasty magical spells that only the meanest of Villains use... the ones that leave the victim's brain perfectly functional sort of a full body paralysis that nonetheless involves the guy being a hunk of rock. Worse it may indeed leave the poor chump capable of sensing with some or all of his senses.

Then the villain could gloat, use the hero in demeaning fashion (say as a Doorstop or garden statue to show off to his friends) or just leave him for the birds and insects to play with for a few millennia.

I would....