Marvel's Exiles: Hyperion Challenge--build a team to beat him!

megaplayboy

Guest C--

Re: Marvel's Exiles: Hyperion Challenge--build a team to beat him!

Well, does anyone know where the Destroyer armor is right now? ;)

It's being worn by Odin, as shown in my second group of people. :D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But a Reed Richards super device counts?

I think it depends--will it take the length of a whole comic book to whip it up?

Does the rest of the team have to keep Hypes busy while Reed puts it together?

In that case it's not too gimmicky :)

Guest C--

Okay, maybe a little clarification is in order.

Hyperion did not destroy realities. He's an evil Superman who killed all the supers on his Earth. He even killed their version of Galactus (presumably when Big G was weakened, or taking a nap, or whatever--there have been times when Galactus was on the ropes and would have been open to a cheap shot). It was basically a Hyperion version of "What if Punisher killed the Marvel Universe?" Then he was plucked from his nice conquered home universe by the Time Broker and put on one of his strike teams that are meant to "fix" broken realities (in this particular case, the mission was to kill every last mutant on that particular Earth). Hyperion, never one to take orders, decided he's just conquer this new Earth instead. When a giant meteor (think the Bruce Willis movie "Armageddon") came crashing to Earth, and Hyperion could not stop it, he decided to forget that world, and just conquer the next one. That should give you a good idea of his power scale. He's not pre-crisis Supes, and he hasn't destroyed multiple realities. He wouldn't be a blip on Strangefate's radar.

The White Witch ho combines Zatanna and The Scarlet witch into one' date=' chaos magic and backwards talking scariness[/quote']

There's already a DC character called the White Witch. From the preboot Legion of Super-Heroes. ;)

From that it sounds like he's actually something of a wimp from a silly universe.

So Punisher killed the Marvel Universe huh? Is there a alternative reality where everyone who ever lived killed their universe? Has there ever been anything like common sense in an comic line editor?

While the Amalgam stuff definitely qualifies as an alternative Marvel Universe, Dr. Strangefate is quite possibly the most obscene character concept ever featured in a DC or Marvel book :)

His character sheet would just scream "munchkin", wouldn't it? ;)

Hyperion did not destroy realities. He's an evil Superman who killed all the supers on his Earth. He even killed their version of Galactus (presumably when Big G was weakened, or taking a nap, or whatever--there have been times when Galactus was on the ropes and would have been open to a cheap shot). It was basically a Hyperion version of "What if Punisher killed the Marvel Universe?" Then he was plucked from his nice conquered home universe by the Time Broker and put on one of his strike teams that are meant to "fix" broken realities (in this particular case, the mission was to kill every last mutant on that particular Earth). Hyperion, never one to take orders, decided he's just conquer this new Earth instead. When a giant meteor (think the Bruce Willis movie "Armageddon") came crashing to Earth, and Hyperion could not stop it, he decided to forget that world, and just conquer the next one. That should give you a good idea of his power scale. He's not pre-crisis Supes, and he hasn't destroyed multiple realities. He wouldn't be a blip on Strangefate's radar.

If that's the case, he's not much more powerful than the other Hyperions we've seen (if at all). Thor, Scarlet Witch, Iron Man, Vision, and Cap. The classic Avengers should do fine, unless the writer has it in for them.

While the Amalgam stuff definitely qualifies as an alternative Marvel Universe, Dr. Strangefate is quite possibly the most obscene character concept ever featured in a DC or Marvel book :)

His character sheet would just scream "munchkin", wouldn't it? ;)

THe sheets of all the best characters scream "munchkin". ;)

Guest C--

From that it sounds like he's actually something of a wimp from a silly universe.

Well, not really a wimp. But these teams people have created would easily take him down.

So Punisher killed the Marvel Universe huh?

Yeah, it was some craptastic elseworlds.

Has there ever been anything like common sense in an comic line editor?

Nope.

If that's the case' date=' he's noy much more powerful than the other Hyperions we've seen (if at all). Thor, Scarlet Witch, Iron Man, Vision, and Cap. The classic Avengers should do fine, unless the writer has it in for them.[/quote']

So Brian Bendis is off the team, then :whistle:

Your team must have at least 6 members, no more than 12, and must be someone from mainstream or alternate Marvel continuity. They could be a villain, but please, no gimmicky "and he's got the Infinity Gauntlet" type of picks. Any hero who's appeared in a Marvel book is acceptable.

Well first premise, Nucleon thinks that the Surfer, Thor, Warlock, and all of the Marvel Cosmic Patheon can take him by sheer versatility, each of them alone and on their own; Heroes à la Superman are very old-school in the way they're built, concentrating on sole physical superiority.

If that argument is to be the one that defines it all, Hulk would be the most powerful being ever.

If Nucleon assembles a team of 6, it will be quickly assembled one, offering the wider brush of versatibility possible. And they would be heroes. And they would not be full-timers in another contemporary, well-established group. Of course, none of them will include an individual who can stop Hyperion by himself.

Let's take Green Lan... er, Quasar, for starters, as the team's assembling Early Warning element (great protective powers).

He re-assembles the Vision (He can do the intangible trick, keeping him occupied). Or Wonder man. NOT both.

The Thin Man, recently jobless since the New Invader's cancellation, could act as the team's brains (he is a reality-warping scientist).

Why not Vanguard, you know, the Russian guy who could reflect power? Yes, him. For fun.

Then, Mantis.

Moondragon will then have the final shot on poor ol' Hypes.

Ooops, Nucleon think we just overkilled the guy.

After an epic limited serie of 4 issues, the makeshift group decides that the experience was, well, quite gruelling actually. They disband forever.

ok this team would eat hyperion for breakfast.

PROF X (TEAM COORDINATION)

MAGNETO (TO BOUNCE HYPE AROUND WITHOUT GETTING CLOSE ENOUGH

TO BE RIPPED IN HALF)

PHOENIX (SEE ABOVE)

MARVEL GIRL(RACHEL GRAY) (SEE ABOVE AGAIN)

HOWARD THE DUCK (TO MOCK AND LAUGH AT HYPES AFTER HE GETS HIS ALL

POWERFUL BUTT WHOOPED WITHOUT BEING TOUCHED)

ANGEL (TO FLY AROUND, LOOK STUPID, BE A TARGET, AND DIE)

AFTER THE FIGHTS OVER SUPERMAN FLIES IN FROM THE DCU (PISSED OFF BECAUSE HYPE STOLE HIS GIMMICK)AND LETS KRYPTO USE HYPES REMAINS AS A FIRE HYDRANT.

ok this team would eat hyperion for breakfast.

PROF X (TEAM COORDINATION)

MAGNETO (TO BOUNCE HYPE AROUND WITHOUT GETTING CLOSE ENOUGH

TO BE RIPPED IN HALF)

PHOENIX (SEE ABOVE)

MARVEL GIRL(RACHEL GRAY) (SEE ABOVE AGAIN)

HOWARD THE DUCK (TO MOCK AND LAUGH AT HYPES AFTER HE GETS HIS ALL

POWERFUL BUTT WHOOPED WITHOUT BEING TOUCHED)

ANGEL (TO FLY AROUND, LOOK STUPID, BE A TARGET, AND DIE)

Why did you pick all X-characters, except for Howard the Duck? Was it to improve team coordination? Because there are lots of mutants with really substantial ranged powers? Just because you like the X-characters? Or for some other reason?

don't blame me dr anomaly thats what the writers of the amalgam universe chose to call her.
Ah. While I've read a fair amount of the Amalgam stuff (and like it) I've by no means read it all' date=' and am not an expert on that universe. I thought [i']you[/i] had made up an Amalgam-style character.

Why did you pick all X-characters' date=' except for Howard the Duck? Was it to improve team coordination? Because there are lots of mutants with really substantial ranged powers? Just because you like the X-characters? Or for some other reason?[/quote']

I PICKED ALL X CHARACTERS BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONES I'M MOST FAMILIAR WITH AND BECAUSE THE ONES I PICKED COULD GET THE JOB DONE IN MY OPINION. IF I WAS GOING OFF FAVORITES IT WOULD'VE BEEN SPIDERMAN, BATMAN, DAREDEVIL, NIGHTWING, CANNONBALL, AND BLACK PANTHER...BUT THEY WOULDN'T HAVE LASTED VERY LONG :bounce:

I PICKED ALL X CHARACTERS BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONES I'M MOST FAMILIAR WITH AND BECAUSE THE ONES I PICKED COULD GET THE JOB DONE IN MY OPINION. IF I WAS GOING OFF FAVORITES IT WOULD'VE BEEN SPIDERMAN' date=' BATMAN, DAREDEVIL, NIGHTWING, CANNONBALL, AND BLACK PANTHER...BUT THEY WOULDN'T HAVE LASTED VERY LONG :bounce:[/quote']That makes a lot of sense. Knowing about who you selected is important.

If I was picking my favorites, I'd go with movies and books. I think nowadays comics aren't the best place to get good stories of the classic comic characters. (I still buy comics, but they cost too much and deliver too little to be my favorite format.) I'd set aside the Punisher, Electra the assassin, and Daredevil, and go with Spider-Man and the X-Men from the first two movies of each series.

That's not remotely enough against the challenge I was responding to:

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to put together a team of Marvel characters to stop him. The relevant details:

1. This version of Hyperion is the ultimate evil Supes-clone ...

How powerful Hyperion really is seems to be a good question. But that's the challenge I was responding to: something like the evil Kryptonians (General Zod, Ursa, Non) of Superman II (1980), but with immense experience and great skill and wisdom in the deadly use of his powers.

MAGGNETO (TO BOUNCE HYPE AROUND WITHOUT GETTING CLOSE ENOUGH TO BE RIPPED IN HALF).

Hyperion (or, at least, the version shown in Exiles) has no iron in his blood, as he himself told Magneto when Erik tried just that trick on him. Hyperion then killed Mags. Hyperion is an Eternal, so devices/powers that negate Mutant powers (like Leech) won't/shouldn't work on him.

How powerful Hyperion really is seems to be a good question.

He's been shown to be massively powerful, or at least indirectly shown to be such. If memory serves, on one of the worlds the team went to (back when Hyperion was on the team), he took out most of the superheroes in Manhattan, including the Hulk. (I believe he tore the Hulk's arm off and force him to eat it!) As metnioned Rogue touched him and absorbed his powers, but he retained most all of his abilities and didn't go unconscious, something typically only seen of entities like Loki. As mentioned, he claims to've killed every superbeing in his home Reality, including Galactus; when the governments of Earth tried one last gambit to stop him by launching nukes at him, he was largely unharmed but Earth was reduced to a wasteland. He defeated Holocaust (the son of Apoclaypse from the AoA reality; massive radiation powers and can drain life force from others) by literally absorbing him (Hyperion, like Superman, derives his powers from absorbed ambient radiation). He's got massive regeneration/resurrection powers, since he completely regenrated from little more than a head and shoulders and a bit of leg (after Gambit rammed a charged Soulsword through his spine).

Hyperion, and all of the Squadron Supreme, are essentially Marvel's take on the JLA, with Hyperion obviously being the Superman homage/rip-off (depending on how one looks at it). If you're trying to figure out how to take out Hyperion, think of how to take out Superman, should Superman have the mindset of the typical backstabbing powergamer.

The really odd thing is that it's been hinted at that Beak (a scrawny bird-man) is the only Exile team member who can stop Hyperion.

Hyperion (or' date=' at least, the version shown in [i']Exiles[/i]) has no iron in his blood, as he himself told Magneto when Erik tried just that trick on him. Hyperion then killed Mags. Hyperion is an Eternal, so devices/powers that negate Mutant powers (like Leech) won't/shouldn't work on him.

He's been shown to be massively powerful, or at least indirectly shown to be such. If memory serves, on one of the worlds the team went to (back when Hyperion was on the team), he took out most of the superheroes in Manhattan, including the Hulk. (I believe he tore the Hulk's arm off and force him to eat it!) As metnioned Rogue touched him and absorbed his powers, but he retained most all of his abilities and didn't go unconscious, something typically only seen of entities like Loki. As mentioned, he claims to've killed every superbeing in his home Reality, including Galactus; when the governments of Earth tried one last gambit to stop him by launching nukes at him, he was largely unharmed but Earth was reduced to a wasteland. He defeated Holocaust (the son of Apoclaypse from the AoA reality; massive radiation powers and can drain life force from others) by literally absorbing him (Hyperion, like Superman, derives his powers from absorbed ambient radiation). He's got massive regeneration/resurrection powers, since he completely regenrated from little more than a head and shoulders and a bit of leg (after Gambit rammed a charged Soulsword through his spine).

Hyperion, and all of the Squadron Supreme, are essentially Marvel's take on the JLA, with Hyperion obviously being the Superman homage/rip-off (depending on how one looks at it). If you're trying to figure out how to take out Hyperion, think of how to take out Superman, should Superman have the mindset of the typical backstabbing powergamer.

The really odd thing is that it's been hinted at that Beak (a scrawny bird-man) is the only Exile team member who can stop Hyperion.

Well, if he's an Eternal, wouldn't the logical team consist of Eternals, like:

Gilgamesh

Makkari

Thena

Ikaris

Sersi

Zuras

Thanos

Photon(Genis-Vell)

and perhaps one or two Elders of the Universe, like

Champion

Runner

plus some wild cards, like

Cloak(darkforce may drain his solar-powered cells)

Juggernaut

Or, yeah, I guess Beak can kill him...

It's kinda funny--the argonite thing hasn't been brought up yet in the comic...
Could be a situation where they want to seperate themselves from DC/Superman some from both a fan as well as legal perspective.

HM

Could be a situation where they want to seperate themselves from DC/Superman some from both a fan as well as legal perspective.

HM

Fan maybe, but Legal? What's DC to say, hey that character you've had for over 20 years? Stop it.