A how to build it poll

JmOz

I want to make a character who is not the actual character (Okay I KNOW that sounds weird so I will explain)

The character has a machine at her headquarters that she goes into, then the machine will send her thoughts to a robot, that she essentialy controls via telepathy, however when controling the robot she is confind to the machine (Think of something like Cerebro but controls a robot instead of aids mental powers).

Okay my idea:

Build it as a Multiform, with a limitation of leaves body behind (What value however, (-0)-(-1) all seem appropriate to me), also would an Immovable foci be appropriate here?

However I am not purley content with this idea...

As soon as I started reading your concept, Multiform came to mind. I don't have my FREd with me..so I can't spout of any point totals for you or anything..but I agree that Multiform is the best way to go.

And, OAF Immobile would seem to make sense for the machine that controls the robot, especially if it's anything like Cerebro..huge, hard to miss, and nearly impossible to move.

-T

I'm inclined to look at Multi-form with an immobile focus limitation (halved because it is used to activate the power, but not to maintain it), but would give a relatively low value to Leaves body behind, since the body is in a fairly safe locale. Similarly, Duplication with the same limitations could also work.

OIHID might work, but it's more questionable (more likely to have conflicts).

The times this has come up in my campaigns, one of the key issues in SFX was the vulnerability or invulnerability of the character to mind control and STUN. If the player is essentially running an automaton body and in a different class of mind, those can be huge advantages in play.

Less commonly, is the character vulnerable to BODY damage, or accidental change (i.e, teleprompter signal blocked and robot form becomes inert) ? If the character can suffer damage when the robot is badly damaged, a vehicle with unusual SFX may prove an interesting model.

Notes:

- Control multiple robots ?

- Must robot be at machine for her to activate or deactivate control ?

- GM has obvious story hook if character doesn't know what will happen to her mind if she's in the machine when the machine or robot is destroyed

Control multiple robots ?

Idea is that as she develps she will have more choices of which robot to use, but she will only ever be able to control one at a time (Think of a PA character with multiple suits) to start with it will be one robot

- Must robot be at machine for her to activate or deactivate control ?

Not as such, she can definatly deactivate it at will, I think she should be able to activate it at will as well, but will have to think about it, maybe a middle ground on the activating that she must start it at the machine, and stay in the machine but if it is deactivated she can stay in the machine and reactivate it (say if it is Dispelled or something), but if she leaves it needs to be returned to the machine

GM has obvious story hook if character doesn't know what will happen to her mind if she's in the machine when the machine or robot is destroyed

good point:

Other points

Stun she will feel

The mental thing, I will have to think on, my gut says that it should be a "Machine" mind (obviouly with the range of mental powers someone with "Mind Scan" cna still effect the real person)

Body Damage, will have to think on this as well, I don't see much, but it is a possibility (Maybe some Damage Reduction built into the machine?)

Yes I see the body being able to be stoped by something that interfears with the singal

I'll admit it I never liked Duplication for this and I will explain why:

Duplications "Function" is to make it so you can run two (or more) characters at the same time, that is not the effect here, rather the effect is to change into another form while leaving your old one behind as a useless shell, however I will add to this "rant" that it is appropriate to use duplication depending on if the base character can do anything, for instance it may be appropriate if the character can still comunicate with people at the base...

This is an interesting character that can turn into an accounting nightmare if you try to separately account for the main character, the control machine, and the robot.

Can the character use all of her abilities (skills and otherwise) through the robot? If yes, then I recommend building only one character. Buy all the human skills as normal, then buy the robot's extra abilities with a generic -1/2 disadvantage that combines aspects of a focus, only in hero ID, leaves physical body behind in a very safe location, etc. The big control machine is a plot device.

I think -1/2 feels right because it's also the standard value given to OIF battlesuits. The robot is better than a battlesuit in some ways, and worse in other ways, but they are pretty close.

If a lot of skills are not usable through the robot, then Multiform might be an okay way to do this. However, remember that Multiform is arguably too inexpensive. It can let one player create a slew of other forms that overshadow the other PCs. Putting disadvantages on the Multiform reduces the cost even further. There have been numerous discussions of ways in which Multiform is open to abuse and I don't think we need to rehash them.

Hi JmOz,

I'll come up with a completely different method...just to get ya thinkin'...

The main character is the robot. You buy the powers of the robot plus the skills of the controller and bot as appropriate. The robot then buys a Physical Limitation disadvantage that it is being remotely controlled from afar and can theoretically be disconnected from it's brain. You could also add a follower and base to the robot character. The follower is the controller and the base is where he is repaired and such.

Just another idea...ain't Hero grand that you can do stuff like this...ah...

Do the two forms have different Skill sets?

Does the player spend any game time in the normal human ID?

If the answers to the above questions are No, then you must ask yourself if going to the time and trouble of making the NHID is worthwhile. You could just as easily write up the robot as the character, maybe with Only in Hero ID used fairly liberally. This may not give you the satisfaction of tweaking the game mechanics to numerically represent each and every facet of this character concept, but it will probably work just as well. I think that Champions players in particular get way to caught up in numerically representing things that can be explained through solid role play.

I tend toward using Duplication on this because it fits the description of the imagined character better than Multiform. Buy it with cannot recombine and a limit of only one active body at once. Concentration, 0 DCV throughout should be an approximate value for this. I can't see Multiform because your alternate body always exists and could be attacked even if the character has no ability to control it.

Doesn't it always?:) See Metarule #6.

Actually, my main objection to multiform is that while the character is in robot form, the other body doesn't exist. Even if a villain found your base and machine they couldn't do anything to you except stop you from changing back. Even this option isn't there if you didn't take focus as a limtation. With duplication, they could kidnap or harm your helpless form whether they found the base or the robot auxillaries. While it does have a higher base cost it lends itself to quite a few readymade limitations. This is based on how I'm interpreting the special effect from the description of the character.

Thanks for the thread. I now have a good idea on how to play Matrix Hero:cool:

Were this being built IMG, I'd go with 'Multiform'. For the 'Control Pod/Remote Start-Up', I'd lay it out like this:

Remote Start-Up (Robotic Form 'Starts Up' at Current Physical Location) (+0), Restricted Start-Up (Human Form Must Be In Control Pod for Multiform to Work) (-0)

I'd also add in a few other 'gimmies', such as 'Robot Always Exposed to BODY Damage (-0)' and a 'Mind Link: To Robot(s), Target Must Have Mind Link, One Planet, 0 Points'.

While I agree that God is in the details... hmmm. If you want to get really picky, make 'Remote Start-Up' a +1/2 Advantage, the 'Restricted Start-Up' a -1/2 Limitation, the 'Robot Exposed' as a -1/2 limitation, and then make them buy the Mind Link with 'No LOS Needed' and 'IIF Immobile'. I'd also buy the Mind Link as Feedback, to reflect the fact that knocking the Robot Body around is going to 'knock around' the fleshy body.

As a side note, this DOES mean that the character needs to keep track of the STUN done to the robot separately from the STUN done to the flesh body; the robot's REC may be faster/higher than the character's, which means that the robot's repair systems might be all finished while the person in the control pod may be still going 'woogy woogy woogy'.

Yes, this DOES mean that the robot jockey is going to have a lot more flexibility; one always has more flexibility when one's working with foci, that's just the way it is. But Mr. Mutant can't be caught with his 'power suit' off, now, can he? It also means that sometimes yon in-the-field heros are going to be going, 'C'mon, he's getting away!!' when the robot has been knocked cold -- and they probably can't just casually pick the robot up and lug him along until Ms. Pretty back at base wakes up from her coma.

Originally posted by Grailknight

Doesn't it always?:) ...Even if a villain found your base and machine they couldn't do anything to you except stop you from changing back. Even this option isn't there if you didn't take focus as a limtation...

This is exactly the kind of thing that I was talking about in my previous post to this thread. No matter how you find yourself paying for something in active or real points, it is the story and the role playing that should drive decisions about how your Powers work.

Champions has always somewhat contradicted itself in this regard. Steve, George and Company made a game that provided a very structured, mathematical system for designing these characters, at the same time using very basic Power names such as Energy Blast (as opposed to Ice Blast, Fire Blast, EM Pulse, etc...) so that the players and the GM are free to develop power signatures and special effects through role playing.

I love this system and I do not want anyone to misinterpret this post as deriding the system. On the contrary, it is those among us who must account numerically for every facet of a character concept that I am bothered by.

In this case it seems that it is not enough to write up a robotic character and explain verbally the way this character powers up. No amount of number crunching should ever replace role-playing these situations out.

Alternately:

Buy the main character as a skilled normal. Maybe 100 pts total.

Buy the Robot as a Vehicle.

Buy a Computer with a limited Mindlink and a program for everything the Robot can reasonably do.

Buy a limited MindLink (no Mental Awareness, only w/ other w/ MindLink, etc) and Clairsentience (uses senses of others) and SPD only for mental actions (enough to equalize the controllers speed with that of the Robot) in an OIF Bulky (Control Device) for the main character.

The main character then can order the Computer to run its programs via the "Nuero-link" ie Mind Link to control the Robot, while observing what the Robot senses on control screens.

This might be a pretty cool & interesting character actually.

Also, its open ended; the main character could add more vehicles as he goes if desired.

Here is a character that isnt quite as extreme as your posited character, but has a vehicle that he can control via an AI over a MindLink

Green Knight

Player:

Val Char Cost
15/30 STR 5
15/22 DEX 15
20 CON 20
20 BODY 20
18 INT 8
18 EGO 16
15 PRE 5
18 COM 4
6/18 PD 3
6/18 ED 2
4/5 SPD 15
7 REC 0
50 END 5
40 STUN 2
8" RUN43" SWIM14"/7" LEAP1Characteristics Cost: 126

Cost Power END
11 Mutant Physiology (Regeneration): Healing 1d6 (max. Healed Points: 6) (Can Heal Limbs), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) [Notes: No Healing Max (see FREd p. 120).]
5 Mutant Physiology: Power Defense (5 points)
6 Telekinetic Resistance: Damage Resistance (6 PD/6 ED)
5 Mutant Mindscape: +5 Mental Defense (9 points total)
13 Mutant Mindscape: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots: (30 Active Points); Activation Roll 13- (-3/4), Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2)
1u 1) Telekinetic Manipulation: Telekinesis (20 STR) (30 Active Points) 6
3m 2) Peer into the Void: Telepathy 6d6 (30 Active Points) 6
3m 3) Mind Quest: Mind Scan 6d6 (30 Active Points) 6
10 Shield: Multipower, 15-point reserve, all slots: (15 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)
1u 1) Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel) (15 Active Points); Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4)
1u 2) +3 with DCV (15 Active Points)
33 Nueral Disruption Mace: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots: (50 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)
2u 1) Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)
2u 2) Energy Blast 3d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (12" Line; +1), No Normal Defense (Non-organic, Lack of Weakness (ED), CON 21+) (Standard; +1) (45 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2)
2u 3) Nueral Zap: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), No Normal Defense (Non-organic, Lack of Weakness (ED), CON 21+) (Standard; +1) (50 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)
Nuerally-linked Bio-induction Armor, all slots: OIF Durable (Focus: Nueral Armor; -1/2), Extra Weight (+100 kg) (-1/4)
17 1) Advanced Polymers and Micro-mail: Armor (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points)
12 2) Biofeedback Self Augmentation: +7 DEX (21 Active Points)
6 3) Biofeedback Self Augmentation: +1 SPD (10 Active Points)
2 4) Inertial Compensators and Extra Weight: Knockback Resistance -2" (4 Active Points)
6 5) Communications Module: Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points); IIF Fragile (-1/2)
3 6) On-board senors array: Nightvision (5 Active Points)
2 7) On-board senors array: Enhanced Perception (+1 to PER Rolls for All Sense Groups) (3 Active Points)
7 8) Neural Connector: Mind Link (One Specific Mind (Noah-9); No LOS Needed), Invisible Power Effects (Mental Group; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)
10 Nuerally-linked Bio-induction Armor: Elemental Control, 30-point powers, all slots: (15 Active Points); OIF Durable (Focus: Nueral Armor; -1/2)
7 1) Biofeedback Self Augmentation: +15 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
10 2) Biocohesive Force-Replent Inertial Envelope: Force Field (2 PD/2 ED/2 Mental Defense/2 Power Defense/2 Flash Defense: Hearing Group/2 Flash Defense: Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (18 Active Points)
5 3) Biofeedback Scalar Induction Loop: +15 STR (15 Active Points); 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 185

Cost Skill
4 +2 Disruption Mace
3 Combat Piloting 12- (13-)
3 Inventor 13-
3 Mechanics 13-
3 KS: Chivalric Code (INT-based) 13-
1 AK: Millenium City 8-
3 Scientist
2 1) SS: Biophysics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 2) SS: Chemistry (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 3) SS: Inorganic Chemistry (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 4) SS: Metalurgy (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 5) SS: Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 6) SS: Robotics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 7) SS: Engineering (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
Skills Cost: 34

Cost Perk
15 Money: Filthy Rich
40 NOAH-9 (200 Base, 0 Disad)
Perks Cost: 55

Total Character Cost: 400

Val Disadvantages
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID Frequently (11-), Major
10 Distinctive Features: Mutant Not Concealable, Extreme Reaction, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses, Not Distinctive In Some Cultures
20 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident Very Common, Strong
10 Enraged: by Drug Dealers Uncommon, go 11-, recover 14-
15 Psychological Limitation: Code of Chivalry Common, Strong
10 Dependent NPC: Grandfather 8- (Infrequently), Normal, Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID, Useful noncombat position or skills
10 Vulnerability: 2x STUN Neurological Attacks Uncommon
15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing Common, Strong
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 250

Experience Required: 25

Total Experience Available: 25

Experience Unspent: 0

Mark IX Neurally Operated Aerocycle, Hyper-mobile (NOAH-9)

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
20 DEX 30
12 BODY 2
4 SPD 10
0" RUN-120" SWIM-20" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 27

Cost Power END
20 Armored Carapace: Armor (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (30 Active Points); Coverage does not protect passengers (-1/2)
50 Ram-jets: Flight 15", Improved Noncombat Movement (x8), 1 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 1 Day each (+1/2), Fuel is Difficult to obtain (-1/4) (50 Active Points)
11 Best Saftey Features Money Can Buy: Luck 10d6 (50 Active Points); 1 Charges (-2), Limited Power (Only in case of major Emergency; -1 1/2) [Notes: In case of Emergency, roll to see if the pilot is able to land safely. A 'lucky' roll indicates that despite the condition of the vehicle, the pilot or auto pilot manages to bring it down safely and without causing further damage to the airframe.]
Communication Suite, all slots: IIF Bulky (-3/4)
7 1) Microburst Variable Frequency Transmitter/Reciever: Radio Perception/Transmission, Invisible Power Effects (Radio Group; +1/4) (12 Active Points)
3 2) Anti-Jamming Tech: Flash Defense (5 points) (Radio Group) (5 Active Points)
8 3) Object Detection and Tracking: Radar (15 Active Points)
15 4) Inbound Enemy Identification and Early Warning System: Danger Sense (Analyze, Area: General Area, Discriminatory, Function as a Sense, Rapid (x10), Targeting Sense) (50 Active Points); Limited Power (Only vs. Airborne Dangers; -1 1/2) 11-
7 5) Neural Connector: Mind Link (One Specific Mind (Green Knight); No LOS Needed), Invisible Power Effects (Mental Group; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)
26 On-board Tactical Solution Weapons Array: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots: (45 Active Points); IIF Bulky Durable (-3/4)
2u 1) Air to Air Anti-Aircraft Long Range Defense System: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), No Range Modifier (+1/2) (45 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), Linked to Inbound Enemy Identification and Early Warning System (-1/2), Lesser Instant Power can be used in any Phase in which greater Constant Power is in use (+1/4)
1u 2) Tangle-wire Gyroid Launcher: Entangle 2 1/2d6, 2 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (44 Active Points); Limited Arc of Fire (60 Degrees; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Nonresistant DEF (-1/4), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4)
2u 3) Nueral Disruption Cannon: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), STUN Only (+0), 64 Charges (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Arc of Fire (60 Degrees; -1/2), Beam (-1/4)
1u 4) Micromotorized Fixed Point Winch and Grapple Launcher: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Grappling Hook (Extra Limbs) (5 Active Points); IIF Bulky (-3/4), Limited Manipulation (-1/4), Linked to Grappling Hook (Stretching) (-1/2), Lesser Power need not be used proportionally to Power with which it is Linked (+1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Grappling Hook (Stretching) 5", Limited Power (Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness; +0) (25 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (Extra Limbs: Grappling Hook) (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus Grapple: +15 STR, Limited Power (Extra Limbs (Grappling Hook) Only; +0) (15 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Limited Arc of Fire (60 Degrees; -1/2), Linked to Grappling Hook (Extra Limbs) (-1/4), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5)
Powers Cost: 153

Cost Skill
9 +3 Combat Piloting
3 Combat Piloting 13-
Skills Cost: 12

Cost Perk
10 Onboard Automated Processing Apparatus (50 Base, 0 Disad)
1 Computer Link (Police Dispatch System)
Perks Cost: 11

Cost Talent
3 On board Clock (Absolute Time Sense)
3 Navigation System (Bump Of Direction)
Talents Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 209

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Flying contraption, stylized like a horse Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses, Not Distinctive In Some Cultures

Disadvantage Points: 10

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

NOAH-9 Onboard Automated Processing Apparatus

Player:

Val Char Cost
10 DEX 0
10 INT 0
4 SPD 20
Characteristics Cost: 20

Cost Skill
1 Language: English (Basic Conversation)
1 Mechanics 8-
1 Electronics 8-
3 Security Systems 11-
3 Systems Operation 11-
1 TF: Grav Vehicles/Hovercraft
3 Traveler
1 1) AK: Millenium City (2 Active Points) 11-
1 2) AK: Continental US (2 Active Points) 11-
1 3) AK: New York City (2 Active Points) 11-
1 4) AK: Chicago (2 Active Points) 11-
Skills Cost: 17

Cost Talent
1 Program: Voice Recognition (Green Knight only)
1 Program: Loiter until called
1 Program: Emergency Auto Pilot [Notes: Will level off and fly in a large circle, avoiding collision,]
1 Program: Routing Point Navigation (Fly from Point A to Point B)
1 Program: Hit Target w/ Grapple & Recover
1 Program: Hit Target w/ LRM
1 Program: Hit Target w/ Tangle Wire
1 Program: Hit Target w/ Disruption Cannon
1 Program: Evasive Manuevers
1 Program: Operate Radar
1 Program: Relay Police Dispatch Data
1 Program: Relay Radar & Early Warning System Data
1 Program: Perform and Relay System Diagnostics
Talents Cost: 13

Total Character Cost: 50

Base Points: 50

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

• 2 months later...

My mind is definitely having trouble with the box. :)

I like Shrike's construct very much, except for one minor detail. The Vehicle has an onboard AI...by definition it thinks for itself. Not completely adaptable for this purpose. :)

In terms of the robot...

I keep thinking about Mind Scan and Mind Control and EGO-based TK...

If it IS a construct with it's own mind, then you use Mind Scanning and Mind Control it (limited to Only works on robothingy, requires bulky OAF focus, concentrate 0 DCV throughout). The question is...if you Mind Control an AI, are you allowed to exceed it's existing programs? If so, the kludge is to buy a relatively useless AI that only has the necessary onboard systems for diagnostics and databases, then Mind Control it...otherwise you have to purchase combat programs and such.

Now, I can't think of a way to cheaply create a world scanning power that will locate an OBJECT (unintelligent robothingy), but the unintelligent robothingy has a massive flaw...it is basically a thug pounding brick, since it would be difficult to simulate ANYTHING else without the CHAR buying the powers. But if you CAN build the world scanning power, you use TK to move the robothingy around. The improved version would let you sieze control of vehicles and such a la Terminator 3...

Ultimate Mentalist for 4E had a way of simulating characters that possessed others through the use of Transform. Bear with me on this explanation: the character ("A") transformed the enemy ("B") into the enemy's physical body with the character's mind ("A + B").

Working along the same lines, you could design the machine as Transform through a focus, with set effect and the Concentration limitation, and an Automaton Follower to Transform into a robotic version of the user. The Automaton effectively becomes a mobile AI.

Convoluted, with the potential for abuse obscene, but it gets the job done.

Hmmm...how bad could we point whore this concept? The Focus is immobile anyway - why not build it as part of a base? This could be a pretty high-powered base since the "base character" gets left behind in the base for the duration anyway and need not spend a lot of extra points.

As for the 'bot itself, while I agree with the comments on multiform versus duplication, the fact is that the "base character" is still there, albeit inactive.

A classic scenario for a character of this nature will be the "villains rob bank/attack world peace conference/just mindlessly ra,page and heroes rush out to stop them" variety. In the middle of the battle, ROBOT stops moving. Why? The mastermind who hired the villains to cause a distraction has broken into "Home Base" and removed the base character from the control device. Whether he now supplants the robot's controller, kidnaps the base character to build more, or what have you, you just know this is a scenario that's going to happen.

And it wouldn't happen if this were a multiform since the base character would be inside the robot somewhere.

So I'd say Multiform if you control the robot from on board, but duplication when the "pilot" is left behind in a separate location. Since only one can be active at a time, the base character should have a pretty good limit on his duplication.

hmmm...as another possibility, what if the machine is a Summon for a slavishly loyal robot...