Spider Man Clone

greymankle

OK we've all seen Superman clones and Batman clones a plenty. Nothing wrong with them just a lot of them. I'm trying to create a Spidey clone but with a new SFX. Swinging, clinging, leaping, entangles, danger sense and of course a ridiculous DEX. I having trouble thinking of an over-arching concept that could encompass all these things.

I've kicked around kinetic ropes, or high cyber but it seems to clunky. Spidey is streamlined. High tech is not a problem but I would like most of the powers to be without a focus.

I'm not looking for stats or anything just a couple of ideas for the overall SFX. I want to clone the power set of the webslinger not the Character.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Spider Man Clone

Psionics.

The character boosts his own physical attributes with psychic control of his metabolism and such.

He has limited precognition.

He can create strands of "ectoplasm" seemingly out of thin air that are sticky. This stickyness alows him to scale walls, entangle foes and swing from rooftop to rooftop.

This also give the character a chance to expand in ways that are very different from Spiderman, perhaps learnig to summon imaginary ectoplasmic entites to fight for him or develping more traditional psi powers, like telepathy or astral projection.

OK we've all seen Superman clones and Batman clones a plenty. Nothing wrong with them just a lot of them. I'm trying to create a Spidey clone but with a new SFX. Swinging, clinging, leaping, entangles, danger sense and of course a ridiculous DEX. I having trouble thinking of an over-arching concept that could encompass all these things.

I've kicked around kinetic ropes, or high cyber but it seems to clunky. Spidey is streamlined. High tech is not a problem but I would like most of the powers to be without a focus.

I'm not looking for stats or anything just a couple of ideas for the overall SFX. I want to clone the power set of the webslinger not the Character.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

How about some type of highly advanced computer that was directly connected to his spinal cord. the computer uses super-sensitive sensors to analyse his surroundings and determine if danger is present (i.e. a car being thrown at him from behind etc). If it detects something and analyses it as being a threat, it overrides muscle control and causes the character to leap out of the way, etc.

Of course the character could over-ride this, but it would take an ego roll.

Its kinda like how a cockroach's back legs start moving even before its simple brain receives information that a light has been turned on...That sort of thing.

How about a squid or octopus? I have a stranded alien law enforcement officer with a distinctly non-human appearance, including 6 tentacles, each one with a pair of eyes on the end. Stretching, entangle (limited range), swinging, 360 degree vision, and a few others related to his alien physiology. Doesn't fit in tights real well, but what the hey.

Some whacko with 2 bullwhips? Nah.

Back '89, I had a guy with a cybered arms that could shoot out some grapple lines from his palms - good for swinging, an entangle, and a ranged martial grab of sorts - grab someone or something with the cable and real it in. If you add a little cyberware to his head you could justify a danger sense - a sensor suite and a tactical computer with some fuzzy logic to determine probabilities of attack, for example.

I think it's the addition of the "webs" - swinging, entangle, that make it harder to fit to a concept. I've done plenty of Spidey-clones - clinging, fast light bricks - but replace the webs with something else.

Could go with "Quantum" or something similar - affects the fundamental forces, so has limited gravity control, can use "superstrings" that hold the universe together for various effects, also tunes him in to danger, etc.

Instead of making the character be either psionic or human/animal hybrid, how about an astronomer trying to prove the existance of dark matter. As always seems to happen, there was something that happened (either intentional or not) and he was imbued with a portion of the primal forces of nature. There could be a part of him that is always seeing things a second or so in the future (danger sense), assists him in avoiding attacks (DCV levels), grants the speed and power needed for taking care of problems, and anything else that you would like the character to possess. :jawdrop:

Nanites:

They quicken him

They stretch out to form rudimentry shapes (Swinglines, entangles, etc...)

They cover his palms to allow for clinging

Only tricky part is DS, but that could be a matter of them somehow warning him of danger...

How about a squid or octopus? I have a stranded alien law enforcement officer with a distinctly non-human appearance' date=' including 6 tentacles, each one with a pair of eyes on the end. Stretching, entangle (limited range), swinging, 360 degree vision, and a few others related to his alien physiology. Doesn't fit in tights real well, but what the hey.[/quote']My Spider-Man clone is Squid-Kid: He has four tentacles coming out of his back, and ink-jets in his forarms. I copped out on the origin, and made him an alien symbiot/suit guy. So far, he's been one of my top three favorite characers to play.

Spiders are an extremely diverse species. Go for some of the OTHER spider powers, like tunneling and walking on water.

Look at some of the spider aspects Spiderman didn't touch on. Poison, for example (this was one of the aspects of Spiderman 2099 that was an improvement, IMO). Perhaps instead of leaving crooks tied up, your characters leaves them paralyzed...

And don't discount the simple effects of giving him Extra Limbs. My own NPC Spiderman knockoff has four extra arms he can retract, for example :rolleyes:

Ahh' date=' I missed that one. Just a bad story-arc, or what?[/quote']

There was potential there for it to be great.

They changed writers midstream, and they started with a premise that made over a decade of Spider-Man comics "wrong".

I shan't go into more detail, do to possibility of spoiler.

Nanites:

They quicken him

They stretch out to form rudimentry shapes (Swinglines, entangles, etc...)

They cover his palms to allow for clinging

Only tricky part is DS, but that could be a matter of them somehow warning him of danger...

You could steal The Engineer's Sensor Perfume idea. She has a cloud of microscopic nanites about her person, monitoring the immediate enviornment for signs of trouble.

One "clone" that was Spider-Man themed came from the DC/Marvel collaboration, "Amalgam".

Spider-Boy was originally created to be a clone of Super-Soldier (a Captain America/Superman hybrid).

Due to an accident that caused him to be born prematurely, the only major superpower he possesses is control over gravity, allowing him to leap, stick to surfaces (by changing which way is "down" for him) and modest superstrength.

It was a neat amalgamation of Spider-Man and Superboy.