"Understanding limitations and advantages"

cboscari

Hello all...

I've been playing HERO for about a year, and I am finally getting around to designing a campaign, which of course means I have discovered how little I actually know and thought I knew...

Anyway, supose in my campain world, all magic (powers) can affect desolid. Would I add that advantage to ALL magic? The converse option would be to add a "Does not work on Desolid" Disadvantage to those rare items where this was the case. This would make those rare items less expensive, and save some bookeeping on my part. I am not sure what the guiding principle on this is...

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't thought of that, but I guess I was asking the more general question of if a advantage or limitation applies to all powers, or even some class of objects.

Example-

*most* objects of class X have advantage Y in the game world. Is it better to create typical objects X with the advantage Y (making them more expensive) or better (because of the easier book keeping) to give a limitation to those objects that don't have Y - "Object limitation- does not have Y" to make it cheaper? The first way requires more record keeping, and to be honest, print-out space. However, there might be a convention or other good reason to do it the first way.

I hope that made sense. :)

Chris

Originally posted by cboscari

I hadn't thought of that, but I guess I was asking the more general question of if a advantage or limitation applies to all powers, or even some class of objects.

Example-

*most* objects of class X have advantage Y in the game world. Is it better to create typical objects X with the advantage Y (making them more expensive) or better (because of the easier book keeping) to give a limitation to those objects that don't have Y - "Object limitation- does not have Y" to make it cheaper? The first way requires more record keeping, and to be honest, print-out space. However, there might be a convention or other good reason to do it the first way.

I hope that made sense. :)

Chris

As you say, the first way requires more writing up and so on. It is, however, in accord with the rules as written, though you have to make sure the requirement is told to all the players.

The second way is simpler, but requires a House Rule. The problem with House Rules is making sure everyone knows about them.

Your call.

• 4 years later...

Re: "Understaning limitations and advantages"

I really see this as a matter of preference. Go with less book keeping and inform the players of the house rule or be a completist and write it up for every instance.

I tend to be a completist as it makes it easy for me to share with others who may not include my house rule. It is also there as a reminder when I find a character sheet for a campaign I ran three years ago.

In a previous Fantasy campaign, I gave the magic users a free 'Magic Awareness' sense much like Mental Awareness for free. It was included in every magic user write up.

Ah' date=' the age old question: does an Energy Blast defined as kryptonite radiation cost more than one defined as something more mundane?[/quote']

To clarify the point above of "no. why would it" the Kryptonite Radiation Blast is just an attack. If someone takes extra damage from Kryptonite Radiation like Superman that's reflected on their side as a Disadvantage.

SFX are SFX are SFX.

You say 'necromancy' like it's a bad thing.

Whoa' date=' this is thread necromancy worthy of Takofanes! :eek:[/quote']

There's been a rash of thread necro'ing lately' date=' I've noticed.[/quote']

(and who let the Llama spend XP on a "Raise Thread" Power?)

You want I should rather start a new thread for something that has already been covered?

• 2 months later...

"I'm not dead yet."

You are correct. Unfortunately, I moved to an area with few HERO players, so I haven't had a chance to finish the campaign. Someday... Someday (sigh). I really ought to check in to see what's new around here.

Chris

And here you see a potential benefit from thread necromancy rather than beginning a new thread - the OP was subscribed to the thread (I presume) and was alerted to the resumed discussion. Thus a lapsed member of the congregation was returned to the fold.

Well done CourtFool!

:)

Doc

To clarify the point above of "no. why would it" the Kryptonite Radiation Blast is just an attack. If someone takes extra damage from Kryptonite Radiation like Superman that's reflected on their side as a Disadvantage.

SFX are SFX are SFX.

Well, if the campaign is called 'Invasion of the Supermen' then a Kryptonite EB is going to be far more useful and effective than a 'Yellow Sun EB'.

The lack of any cost consequences to sfx assumes a campaign where, over time, one sfx is no more useful than another. That is rarely true.

Roll on The Ultimate Blaster, eh?

Well, if the campaign is called 'Invasion of the Supermen' then a Kryptonite EB is going to be far more useful and effective than a 'Yellow Sun EB'.

The lack of any cost consequences to sfx assumes a campaign where, over time, one sfx is no more useful than another. That is rarely true.

Roll on The Ultimate Blaster, eh?

You're suggesting the Players should be charged extra for being able to take advantage of someone else's Vulnerability and/or Susceptibility Disadvantage?

One guy gets points back and forces others to have their powers cost more?

You're suggesting the Players should be charged extra for being able to take advantage of someone else's Vulnerability and/or Susceptibility Disadvantage?

One guy gets points back and forces others to have their powers cost more?

If the vulnerability or susceptibility is a 'campaign feature' as opposed to a character feature, then yes. A more useful power should cost more.

If the vulnerability or susceptibility is a 'campaign feature' as opposed to a character feature' date=' then yes. A more useful power should cost more.[/quote']

If it's a Campaign Feature then I would say it's not a Disad you get points back for - like NCM in a Heroic Game. In which case I could agree with you. But if you get points for the Disadvantage then I disagree.