Superpowers that haven't been thought out...

Kristopher

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: Superpowers that haven't been thought out...

Its twas a joke' date=' Mr Whamme to the second power. :)[/quote']

Hey, I'm just added, not multiplied (twice as much Whamme as originally, oh yeah...)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reject that on the grounds that he's still alive.

Although... maybe he gets the energy from them being disintegrated, and THAT fuels him... but then he might as well "eat" anything organic by touching it.

Although... maybe he just likes the taste of the cereal.

Or maybe you right about him absorbing energy from what he disintergrates, but he since he has some major issues about what he is he attempts to act as 'normal' as possible by putting organic substances in his mouth before they disintergrate then swallows the resulting stuff, thereby getting as close to what 'normal' people do as he can.

Given his character (dude got self loathing and angst down to an art) that is the most likely justification for this scene (apart from, you know, "the artist forgot").

Oh and it's possible he has a moment or two to taste food before it becomes gets 'dusted' (or maybe organic substances retain their taste after they are distintergrated (the same as when we chew them up) and, you're right, he likes cereal.

Perhaps' date=' as you say, the side effect of 'catch all' power suppressors is that they turn the mutant into a listless zombie and that even Beast (or any other super intelligent mutant/friend of the X-men) can't overcome this problem, so only those who don't care about mutant's wellbeing are willing to use them, others have to find other solutions that cater to individual powers (ruby glasses, electricity sapping gloves, lack of human contact).[/quote']

Don't think it cannon, but in some of the Marvel RPG's it is suggested that there are fears of long term health consequences from mutant power supressors. I would also like to mention that when Scott's eye beams were supressed in Giant Sized X-Men #1. they came back stronger so that his old visor no longer contained them. I could see Rogue not using a power supressor if it has the slightest chance of making her powers stronger.

(Of course, Rogue's always on limitation is psychosomatic. Back when Carol could control her body, she could touch and be touched without consequences.)

(Of course' date=' Rogue's always on limitation is psychosomatic. Back when Carol could control her body, she could touch and be touched without consequences.)[/quote']

I reread those issues recenty, and that's not correct. People think that because when Rogue was stripped of her powers, the events immediately following brought out her Carol Danvers persona, and when Wipeout restored her powers, it was just after Carol's persona had again become dormant.

Don't think it cannon, but in some of the Marvel RPG's it is suggested that there are fears of long term health consequences from mutant power supressors. I would also like to mention that when Scott's eye beams were supressed in Giant Sized X-Men #1. they came back stronger so that his old visor no longer contained them. I could see Rogue not using a power supressor if it has the slightest chance of making her powers stronger.

If we're thinking the same thing, it's canonical. The Beast created the first prototype Mutant Power Suppressor, and used it on Unus the Untouchable to turn off his forcefield; however, later on, Unus' field started growing in strength because of it, eventually getting to the point where the field couldn't be turned off, and became airtight, and he suffocated. If he used the same gizmo on Cyke, he could have had a similar problem.

The other reason not to use a mutant power suppressor is ... well, if you get beat, why have a device on you that your foe can just use to completely hose you? That's like Superman carrying around some kryptonite in a lead baggie.

That's like Superman carrying around some kryptonite in a lead baggie.

Actually, in a recent Superman, we saw that he does, indeed, do that. He has a piece inside his belt (which is lead lined). Granted, he was fighting a character that had escaped from the bottled city (meaning his powers were just like supes), and he knew it ahead of time, so that might have been the only reason the K was there. But it didn't show him preparing for that eventuality, so I assumed it was a regular occurance.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Tangent: Could someone tell me what the deal is with Kandor?

Past and present.

I mean... a bottled city? Wtf? Full of kryptonians? Htf? Wtf?

well two simple explanations for Kevin ford one its only his skin that has that effect as your mouth is not lined with skin hes fine as long as he uses metal utensils and as a bonus he will never get tomato sauce on his face when eating spaghetti. mind you then he would have problems eating a sub.

option two saliva prevents his powers working thus he can eat with impunity as long as he licks his lips.

In Cyclops' case, I think it may be that the glasses work adequately for him. It's really only an issue if the glasses are grabbed/knocked off, and a hypothetical supressor device on his belt would be vulnerable to accidental (or deliberate) removal as well. Plus, glasses won't short out or malfunction the way a very complex field suppression generator might.

In Cyclops' case' date=' I think it may be that the glasses work adequately for him. It's really only an issue if the glasses are grabbed/knocked off, and a hypothetical supressor device on his belt would be vulnerable to accidental (or deliberate) removal as well. Plus, glasses won't short out or malfunction the way a very complex field suppression generator might.[/quote']

That, and the lenses in the visor focus the beams; without the visor, he has more of an Area Effect Cone going than a simple beam. The focussed blasts are also more powerful than a 'I'm just opening my eyes' beam.

That' date=' and the lenses in the visor focus the beams; without the visor, he has more of an Area Effect Cone going than a simple beam. The focussed blasts are also more powerful than a 'I'm just opening my eyes' beam.[/quote']

Depends on the instance. More than once, he's been depicted as if to show that the visor is holding back some of the power, and that he absolutely blasts the crap out of things if it gets knocked off.

Just say the "essence connection" takes a minor act of will to sever instead of happening automatically.

My solution was to build-in a slight delay to the *poof*. The power still kept its "uncontrolled" feel while allowing bullets to hit, explosives to detonate, etc.

Tangent: Could someone tell me what the deal is with Kandor?

Past and present.

I mean... a bottled city? Wtf? Full of kryptonians? Htf? Wtf?

Originaly it was a city on Krypton that was 'stolen' by brainiac some time before the planet went boom (at that time Brainiac was collecting samples from doomed worlds, had been for quiet some time) and later on was rescued by superman..but he never figured out who to 'regrow' it to regular size.

Now.. post crisis I have no idea.. I am figuring something simular through.

Here's a favorite of mine: Spiderman's wallcrawling

He has.. what little hairs/hooks that allow him to hold onto walls. These hooks/suction cups work through his cloths but apparently not affecting the cloth itself after all he never has trouble taking them off. Also if they are capable of goign through the cloth...aren't they long enough to be visible.

He has.. what little hairs/hooks that allow him to hold onto walls. These hooks/suction cups work through his cloths but apparently not affecting the cloth itself after all he never has trouble taking them off. Also if they are capable of goign through the cloth...aren't they long enough to be visible.

Actually, the comic book version didn't have any explaination AFAIK. He just stuck to stuff. And he could climb/walk on basically any surface, even if that surface was not capable of bearing that kind of weight (he's been known to walk on drywall in houses/apartments for instance--no way that would work!)

I think the movie did 'little hairs' which have the problems you describe. Spidey 2099 had short retractable claws--and he had all the problems you might expect with such (accidentally tearing things up, leaving marks in walls and such). He also seemed to be limited to stuff that could actually bear his weight, too.

And Spidey's danger sense is practically the model of ill-thought-out powers; how the heck did it work? And how did it relate to spiders, anyway?

At some point about 15 years ago, some villain with electrical powers shouted out 'Of course! No stickum! He's using an advanced form of STATIC ELECTRICITY!!' (You know, just like real spiders do) and then suppressed Spidey's wall crawing.

Then Spidey beat the crap out of him. Oh, no. No wallcrawling. Now he only has super strength and super speed. And webs.

--

Good powers: The proportionate strength of a spider.

Bad powers: The non-proportionate strength of a spider.

At some point about 15 years ago, some villain with electrical powers shouted out 'Of course! No stickum! He's using an advanced form of STATIC ELECTRICITY!!' (You know, just like real spiders do) and then suppressed Spidey's wall crawing.

Then Spidey beat the crap out of him. Oh, no. No wallcrawling. Now he only has super strength and super speed. And webs.

--

Good powers: The proportionate strength of a spider.

Bad powers: The non-proportionate strength of a spider.

While we're speaking of wall crawling supers... Spider-girl has inherited her father's powers, sort of. 1. Not only can she stick to stuff but she can stick other people to stuff at range if they are both touching the same surface (using only her 'wall crawling' ability). 2. Not only that but she can 'reverse' her sticking ability so that she hurls things away from her at the same level of force that she has to stick to stuff (which if it's anything like her fathers is considerable, given that the surface he's climbing is more likely to come apart than he get pulled from it) and she can do this at range too (stick someone to the floor and then throw him into the air).

And you thought that her father's powers hinky as 'spider powers'. Lets face it no Champions GM in his right mind would allow these in a 'Spider Powers' EC. Gotto love the fact that writers don't 'need' to justify their character's powers like Champions players.

p.s. Spider girl has also been stripped of her powers by an electrical jolt, but she lost all of them.

The "hairs" are a movie addition. In the comic he has no such things--he just sticks to things. (And while the power appears to work through gloves, or the presumably fairly think soles of his costume's boots, traditionally Peter has to take off his street shoes if he's going to do any wall-crawling. Removing his socks may be optional.)

cut and pasted form the Marvel Directory:

Spider-Man's exposure to the mutated spider venom induced a mutagenic, cerebellum-wide alteration of his engrams resulting in the ability to mentally control the flux of inter-atomic attraction (electrostatic force) between molecular boundary layers. This overcomes the outer electron shell's normal behavior of mutual repulsion with other outer electron shells and permits the tremendous potential for electron attraction to prevail. The mentally controlled sub-atomic particle responsible for this has yet to be identified. This ability to affect the attraction between surfaces is so far limited to Spider-Man's body (especially conetrated in his hands and feet) and another object, with an upper limit of several tons per finger. Limits to this ability seem to be psychosomatic, and the full nature of this ability has yet to be established.

That's been the explaination since as far back as I can remember. And it's not limited to his hands and feet. I've seen him sit on the ceiling with his legs crossed while reading the newspaper.

Not a Super Power per se...but in FF 7 why the heck didn't Cloud use a Phoenix Down on Aeris? Shoot, that's what the darn things are for.

And on the technology thing...We have Shield/FF-4/Avengers/Defenders/Justice League/etc with all that darn high tech...but does it ever make it to the "common" man/woman? No. That to me is lame. I'm not talking about the weapons, I'm talking about the derivative tech that would/could/has been developed (Remember...NASA was the originator of the Microwave Oven...).

As it is true that high tech has a trickle down effect, you might also consider that the tech they use is not commonly known to be in existance and also, that if you were a secret group that had advanced tech that gave yu an edge in a battle between good and evil... would you really want it to get out??

That' date=' and the lenses in the visor focus the beams; without the visor, he has more of an Area Effect Cone going than a simple beam. The focussed blasts are also more powerful than a 'I'm just opening my eyes' beam.[/quote']

I figured we were discussing off-duty power suppression, as the visor does add functionality. I'd agree with a previous poster that the optic blast is portrayed as most powerful when unfiltered, it's just also not really aimed at that point. We've seen Cyclops pull off the visor for a big finish from time to time (would that be SFX for haymakering the blast?).

For casual out of combat walking around (which is when the uncontrolled blast are most of an inconvenience) he tends to just wear a pair of ruby quartz shades as his power suppression (and keeps the full-on visor in a pocket or something).

I figured we were discussing off-duty power suppression, as the visor does add functionality. I'd agree with a previous poster that the optic blast is portrayed as most powerful when unfiltered, it's just also not really aimed at that point. We've seen Cyclops pull off the visor for a big finish from time to time (would that be SFX for haymakering the blast?).

For casual out of combat walking around (which is when the uncontrolled blast are most of an inconvenience) he tends to just wear a pair of ruby quartz shades as his power suppression (and keeps the full-on visor in a pocket or something).

I was quite entertained when Grant Morrison introduced the idea of Cyclops using ruby quartz contact lenses. Small! Compact! Harder for a foe to seize!

The problem came when I realised that just about everyone I know with contacts needs to open their eyes real wide when inserting them... :idjit: