Skill Levels--limits?

atlascott

I do not recall reading about any 'suggested' CSL or SL limits in FRED. Are there?

Munchkinism is a risk--buying the cheapest CSL to get a monsterload of to hit bonuses means the signature move never misses, ever.

More importantly, what, if any, limits do you guys place in your campaigns wrt skill levels? What do you base the limits on, if any (e.g., no SL bonus that exceeds relevant characteristic/3?)

Re: Skill Levels--limits?

In the 5th Edition non-revised rulebook there is a sidebar that explains what each skill role level can be compared to in a typical Hero campaign. If you don't want anybody to be one of the 10 best in the world at something you could limit skill rolls and levels to cap it right before they reach that point, assuming you like the DOJ description of skill levels.

I do not recall reading about any 'suggested' CSL or SL limits in FRED. Are there?

Indirectly. Suggested ranges for OCV/DCV and skill levels are provided. Actual hard numbers not so due to the fact that the characteristics these are based on can vary greatly from campaign to campaign.

So set your own limits as they best match your needs. I certainly did so with games.

At the heroic level its an issue to think about...at the super level its kind of self limiting because a super is almost Always better off buying stats instead of levels so it tends to be based on concept...it can be an issue with experiance being spent...but personally I've not yet seen it...

I use an overall CV cap (well, a suggested starting max... not an absolute cap), that combines CV from DEX, maneuvers and levels. The values only apply when attacking, so there is no upper limit, or suggested limit, for levels on Dodge, Block or Missile Deflection.

So, if my suggested max for CV is 10, then it's okay for a character to have a 30 DEX and no levels, a 20 DEX and 3 levels, or a 10 DEX and 7 levels.

I do not normally put limits on Skill Levels. I want to encourage characters with skills. I suppose it could be abused, but with the exception of my own creations I have never seen a skill higher than 18. That was for a Magic skill so there were large penalties to overcome. I believe I have created characters with a skill of 21.

In most of my group's games we use a simple house rule that tends to alleviate this problem. Characters can only put one xp into any one characteristic or skill per session. It takes 3 sessions to improve your DEX by one point. A CSL takes 2 sessions to get, and more to improve, and you can't work on two "different" CSLs for the same attack at the same time. If you want to be the best fighter in the world, it will take a whole campaign to get that good.

• 5 years later...

My long-standing rule has been that no attack roll can benefit from skill levels by more that +50%' date=' rounded down. So if you have an OCV of 8, it can benefit from at most +4 levels. An OCV of 7 can benefit from at most +3 levels.[/quote']

That actually dovetails nicely with the DC rule (no more than doubling total DCs). I'll have to try that, although I haven't seen a problem so far, it's only a matter of time, with my group.

Folded

That actually dovetails nicely with the DC rule (no more than doubling total DCs). I'll have to try that, although I haven't seen a problem so far, it's only a matter of time, with my group.

Folded

Skill levels have never been a problem in my games and I have been playing for over 20 years. It also nerfs a very important way to customize characters. It's much more fair to just have a OCV/DCV cap and let the players know what it is. Even without the CV cap you are the gm and the NPCs can always have enough CV to hit the heroes.

I generally go with "+5 from any one source" which would allow +5 OCV from CSL's, +5 to offset Range Penalty, and +5 to offset Called Shot penalty, etc. But haven't seen much problem with CV / CSL's (except when dealing with a few speedster MA builds... CV 15+...)