Australia in the current CU

assault

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Australia in the current CU

As long as COIL doesn't build a base in Ayers Rock,I'll be happy.

(Aside from the fact that Ayers Rock is a sacred Aboriginal site and also a major tourist attraction,it's already been done-Black Ghost had a hidden base there in the 2001 anime version of Cyborg 009).

put it under Maralinga then - nobody goes there because of the fallout.

Of course in the Champions Universe it's also the site of the pan-dimensional access called the Well of Worlds. Might not be too healthy for COIL to poke around in there. OTOH aren't there some major mythological snake spirits in the Dreamtime? :eg:
Well there is "The Rainbow Serpent" but I think that he is mostly benevolent, bringing rain to the outback. Of course there is no reason why a criminal weather manipulator (for example) mightent use the name. Probably annoy "Walkabout" by doing it however !

I don't have the two supplements that you mentioned that feature "COIL" but that isn't a bad idea "Lord Liaden". Or perhaps make Australia a bit of a battleground between "COIL" and "Viper"? Hmm ! Might need a few more heros in that case.

There would doubtless be a lot of animosity between COIL and VIPER, since King Cobra and his lieutenant Krait are both VIPER escapees, so that's certainly possible "st barbara". ;) COIL is currently far smaller than VIPER, but the latter's presence in Australia and Oceania has traditionally been small.

• 1 month later...

Has there been any headway on this?

I'm working on an adventure set in Australia and should get some acceeleration on this in a couple of weeks when the school holidays hit and I get two weeks off work.

On the other hand I'm not sure how long it will take to write everything up for an adventure, so it's possibly not going to be finished for a few months (maybe even Christmas?!?). Has anyone had experience of writing an adventure up for Digital Hero?

I really like the idea of COIL, by the way, and was thinking of using them. Is anyone else currently thinking about using them - especially in relation to Australia?

Ben

Actually since it's still in its infancy, does anyone have anything they'd really like to see if a Digital Hero adventure set in Australia?

I'll be featuring Melbourne (or parts of it) as well as a military base north west of Melbourne (it's called Puckapunyal).

I wasn't going to impact on the CU interpretation of Australia (meaning there are very few supers), but was going to rely on bringing 'talent' into the country.

As long as COIL doesn't build a base in Ayers Rock,I'll be happy.

(Aside from the fact that Ayers Rock is a sacred Aboriginal site and also a major tourist attraction,it's already been done-Black Ghost had a hidden base there in the 2001 anime version of Cyborg 009).

Ten years before that, Matt Howarth portrayed a hollow Ayers Rock as a sanctuary for avant garde musicians struggling against the invasion of interdimensional metalheads in Savage Henry 17.

Ten years before that' date=' Matt Howarth portrayed a hollow Ayers Rock as a sanctuary for avant garde musicians struggling against the invasion of interdimensional metalheads in Savage Henry 17.[/quote']

Ouch!

Why Ayers Rock though? Surely there would have been better places for a band... maybe the acoustics were really, really good in the hollowed Uluru.

Actually since it's still in its infancy, does anyone have anything they'd really like to see if a Digital Hero adventure set in Australia?

I'll be featuring Melbourne (or parts of it) as well as a military base north west of Melbourne (it's called Puckapunyal).

I wasn't going to impact on the CU interpretation of Australia (meaning there are very few supers), but was going to rely on bringing 'talent' into the country.

It would be helpful for those of us outside Oz if you could work a little of Melbourne's local colour into the adventure: notable landmarks, significant cultural elements of the city, how people get around, what it's like dealing with the local authorities especially law enforcement, that sort of thing. That would really help us get that extra-national feel when running the adventure.

Of course, a map or two would be nice if possible. :sneaky:

Grumble ! I'm having trouble thinking of cool names for a possible "Viper" leader in Australia ! "Brown Snake" or "Red Bellied Black Snake" just don't seem fearsome enough.;)

I would recommend calling him or her Tiger Snake, as in http://www.australianfauna.com/tigersnake.php . IMO this would be a great name for a Takara-Shinja-trained martial artist.

• 4 weeks later...

I've started a blog to chart the progress of my Digital Hero adventure (still untitled). I figured the Blog function was there so why not use it to get me moving constructively on the project.

Each week I'll post an update and hopefully I'll get some feedback along the way.

As it is an adventure, it might spoil the fun if you read the blog, but seriously I aim to write this adventure as a city sourcebook wrapped up in an adventure, so the 'meat' of the thing will hopefully actually be in the supporting information.

I'm basing the Australian source material in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. As you'll read in the blog, though, I have decided that the adventure needs to begin in the PCs' campaign city (probably in the USA).

The biggest problem I had at the beginning was working out how to justify an adventure in Australia - how to get the (probably) American heroes into the Melbourne action.

I had thought of a Reality TV Show which recruited Americans and others, but that was a bit too tricky. So I went with an invitation instead. The Victorian Premier is in the campaign city, gets into some trouble and is rescued by the PCs. Some more action ensues and as the Premier leaves he invites them to Melbourne 'anytime in the future'.

That'll be the short introductory adventure and give the characters a reason to be in Melbourne. Oh and there's an emerging plot involving a CU villain.

Please follow the blog if you can and offer comments. I actually planned out a sourcebook and it ran into many many many chapters, so I am sure to miss something out.

Start small, I say.

I've started a blog to chart the progress of my Digital Hero adventure (still untitled). I figured the Blog function was there so why not use it to get me moving constructively on the project.

Me too, although I'm also using my blog for other stuff, due to my goldfish-like attention span.

I'm basing the Australian source material in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

I'm working on Queensland. I'm scattering the locations around a bit within the state, just for colour.

The biggest problem I had at the beginning was working out how to justify an adventure in Australia - how to get the (probably) American heroes into the Melbourne action.

Me too.

Start small, I say.

Yep.

I'm supposed to be doing a blog update this weekend, so I might sketch out some of my plans there.

I'm working on Queensland. I'm scattering the locations around a bit within the state' date=' just for colour.[/quote']

Don't forget to include Black Mountain

http://www.wettropics.gov.au/ttd/ttd_black_parks.asp

plenty of room and rumours about what's under all those boulders - whichj on some days, explode all by themselves.

lots of death trap and exploration possibilities too, complicated by the need to preserve the only habitat for various unique species.

"Black Mountain" Fortean in google will give you some ideas' date=' I'm sure :)[/quote']

Maybe in a Pulp game. Less useful in a Champions game.

I do have a character based on the cryptozoological Yowie. He's partly a homage to DC's lame token Australian hero, the Tasmanian Devil.

I'm not planning on using him in the scenario I am working on.

• 1 month later...

I've got most of the bits of a scenario sitting in my blog. It still lacks a certain... something... so I haven't put it all together yet.

It's basically OK, but kind of dull. It lacks uniqueness. Or something.

Perhaps a super intelligent evil mad genius Koala bear? Because, you know, talking apes are covered. :)

Perhaps a super intelligent evil mad genius Koala bear? Because' date=' you know, talking apes are covered. :)[/quote']

I suddenly flashed on this idea of a koala with Dreamtime powers, gained from an accident involving an aborigine shaman seeking revenge on the white men who have invaded his people's land. Possibly due to some superhero's interference, he's been shunted into the body of a koala, the ultimate disguise allowing him to work his mental powers on the unsuspecting populace. Oh yes, revenge will be his. Mwa hahahahaha!