Australia in the current CU

assault

Re: Australia in the current CU

I know a quantity of herogamers in Australia and New Zealand' date=' and it would be nice to be thrown a little bit of an official universe bone, even if it was just in a .pdf or some such you know?[/quote']

You shouldn't complain. I'm from Sweden, and in the official CU we don't even have an official super-being. Denmark (or neighbor) has one, and their population is half the size of ours. We're a 10 million people country, so we should have something like two supers.

Seriously...

I’ve been to Australia once (I love that country), and I can see some great adventures going on in cities like Sydney. Personally think the rest of Australia would fit better as a part of the Pulp Hero setting. I might be wrong, but when I think of Aussie action movies I see more heroic stuff than superheroic stuff.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WhammeWhamme

In the interests of fairness to us' date=' I should point out that Champions Worldwide introduces half a dozen additional Aussies (well, one's from New Zealand.) dw[/quote']

New Zealanders are not Australians. Repetition of this error is grounds for termination. That is all.

(also: Ooh. I've always wondered what an Official Hero Super for NZ would look like...)

New Zealanders are not Australians. Repetition of this error is grounds for termination. That is all.

(also: Ooh. I've always wondered what an Official Hero Super for NZ would look like...)

Well, she's a villain. And the region is "Australia and Oceania," so our butts are covered there. What, you want a whole region to yerselves? I fully expect to see multiple proposals on my doorstep for "Champions Down Under" next week... dw

My serious point' date=' about canonical villains in Australia, is still valid, and I thank everybody for their responses so far.[/quote']

True. hopefuly Champions Worldwide might have someone who is not "Mister Boomerang", "Kangaroo Master", "The Wallabie", "Walzing Matilda", or "The Thing Which Came From Dreamtime". Othoe I do say, "Walzing Matilda" and "The Thing Which Came From Dreamtime" are good names.

Oh, and no "Allagator All" (the Croadile Dundee cloan).

Guest WhammeWhamme

Well' date=' she's a villain. And the region is "Australia and Oceania," so our butts are covered there. What, you want a whole region to yerselves? I fully expect to see multiple proposals on my doorstep for "Champions Down Under" next week... dw[/quote']

(I said Hero Super. Not Super Hero. I appreciate that she'll be a villain.)

Australia and Oceania will suffice. Do not make the error in casual conversation, or termination will commence. That is all.

;)

For precisely the same reasoning between Canada and the USA (ie too many people generalise).

(just my two bits from an Aussie with Kiwi friends).

If we had supers, they should be sports-related :)

The Heir of Bradman, maybe - or The Footy King.

You shouldn't complain. I'm from Sweden, and in the official CU we don't even have an official super-being. Denmark (or neighbor) has one, and their population is half the size of ours. We're a 10 million people country, so we should have something like two supers.

Seriously...

I’ve been to Australia once (I love that country), and I can see some great adventures going on in cities like Sydney. Personally think the rest of Australia would fit better as a part of the Pulp Hero setting. I might be wrong, but when I think of Aussie action movies I see more heroic stuff than superheroic stuff.

Okay so WHO is the super powered Dane, and what powers does he/she have ? ("St Barbara" goes all gooey and patriotic. The Australian sitting at the keyboard typing this goes "Hrumph !") Maybe we could score a hero(ine) for both countries by giving Princess Mary super powers ?

For precisely the same reasoning between Canada and the USA (ie too many people generalise).

(just my two bits from an Aussie with Kiwi friends).

If we had supers, they should be sports-related :)

The Heir of Bradman, maybe - or The Footy King.

An Aussie Rules player with "super leap" and Savate or some other kicking style of martial art perhaps ?

Okay so WHO is the super powered Dane' date=' and what powers does he/she have ? [/quote']

Beowulf. The Beowulf character from the 1960s was a member of the Sentinels [shown in DH #14] and seemed to be a Thor homage of sorts. I do not know what the 2005 version is like.

I don't see the problem with aussie supers...Jackie Chan lives there dosen't he? Hardly suprising...australia is crawling with Ninjas! Ninjas and martial arts masters of all kinds...I've seen many a low budget film that featured persons with odd acents....add in weird mysterys of the pacific and you've got lots of adventures...

I don't see the problem with aussie supers...Jackie Chan lives there dosen't he? Hardly suprising...australia is crawling with Ninjas! Ninjas and martial arts masters of all kinds...I've seen many a low budget film that featured persons with odd acents....add in weird mysterys of the pacific and you've got lots of adventures...

While Jackie Chan lived in Australia for a while when he was a kid, I don't think he does now. On the other hand, he has made movies here. In First Strike, for example, he tears up a considerable chunk of Brisbane's Chinatown.

There is at least one superhero based TV show that was made locally. Cybergirl only went for a single series, and was basically a kid's show, but had all the standard superheroic bits, and was filmed around Brisbane.

So that's not a problem. Superheroes and action heroes can certainly operate here. The imagery works in an Australian setting.

The real problem is all the damn ninjas running around the outback in khaki shorts annoying crocodiles. ;)

Beowulf. The Beowulf character from the 1960s was a member of the Sentinels [shown in DH #14] and seemed to be a Thor homage of sorts. I do not know what the 2005 version is like.

Okay. I took a different view for my Danish super and created (apart from my little energy blaster "St Barbara" who is a character that I have pPLAYED in someone elses game ) a teenaged girl with "Images" as a power. I called her "The Rose Elf" from a story by Hans Christian Andersen. I haven't read the story and have no idea how appropriate the name might be, but it seems a nice name for a teenaged illusionist !

A dark champions style campaign could work well in Australia. Lots of espionage (Echelon), intelligence, ultra-tech military, and Pine Gap creates lots of possibilities for a new generation of supers.

With so few Supers (both hero & villian) I'm sure the Gov't would want to start a Supers programme (cf Captain's America's origin) for national security reasons. These Supers would start of being government employees but would end up freelance.

(Just waiting for a superhero from the my "Top End". And with the nuclear dump possibly in th NT the old radioactive crux can be used.)

I would think there would have to be some official responce to their incursions.

0. Form a committee. :)

1. Recruit a few UNTIL veterans, who are already experienced and trained in dealing with superhumans. Mix them with SAS types and others to form a stopgap agent force. Equip them with the best stuff you can afford.

2. Test this lot for Cyberline responses.

3. Send anybody with positive responses off to the US to train with PRIMUS.

4. Pay for the most suitable candidate to be put through Silver Avenger training.

5. Meanwhile, scour Australia for other supers who can be recruited into a government backed team.

6. Supplement these with personnel exchanges with "friendly" nations. US, UK, NZ, for starters, possibly even with some oddbods like China(!). Exchanges can include both powered and non-powered staff.

7. Negotiate mutual assistance protocols with neighbouring countries. It's not in Australia's interests for Fiji to be secretly ruled by ARGENT, for example.

To summarise:

1. Initially, supplement existing supers with agents.

2. Form superteam from existing supers, a Silver Avenger and exchange supers.

The power level of this team wouldn't be massive, but it would be well supported by agents, vehicles, scientists, intelligence analysts and whatnot. And one or two of their supers might actually be powerhouses.

If I remember right' date=' UNTIL's homeport for the Aegir submarine is somewhere in Austrailia. That has to attract the black hats. I would think there would have to be some official responce to their incursions.[/quote']

Correct, it is in Port Hedland (NW side). It's captain, James Jandebeur, is from New Zealand and has been the captain since 1991.

Speaking of UNTIL, did anyone other than me notice that the UNITY superteam's suggested use is as a "backup" team to the heroes, yet they're all pretty powerful (from 418 pts to 630? (Moreso than any 350 team smaller than 12, probably.) Also, what really gets me is that UNTIL agents are built on 241-324 character points! That's nearly as powerful as the PCs!!! And more salt to the wound is that submersible hovership Ragnarok which is 25" long and has a DF: UNTIL combat ship (Not Concealable, Causes Extreme Reaction [fear]) has a darkness power making it concealable!

But, I could just be a little bit bitter because I thought the book was a waste of my money. :straight: The only two parts I really liked from the book were the Korean War picture and summary, and UNTIL Plots the part about agents being sent back into the dinosaur ages with the picture of 4 T-Rexes (plus one 'off screen'), as I think that *would* be a decent plot to run a dozen agents through.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent. More Australia!

Well, sticking to the "If a super comes from someplace other than 'Murrica, or isn't White, make them as stereotypical as possible" theme from the Silver Age (I'm kidding, here; please feel free to NOT tell me about all the exceptions), he'd be a Maori, with a gorgeous voice, in full traditional costume (despite the fact that only people working at tourist sites wear the stuff anymore) with a spear. He'd have powers that bear absolutely NO relevance to his origin story.

Though, I wouldn't mind seeing a Maori super. I'd do it, but I'm hideously lazy and know about the Maori only from my fiancee's photos of her trip.

An Aussie Rules player with "super leap" and Savate or some other kicking style of martial art perhaps ?

Savate?! For an Aussie Rules footie player?!?! Come on! Show some home team pride; give him a few moves from Dirty Infighting and Speedster Martial Arts, and some Damage Reduction. I'm thinking low to mid-level brick with a fair bit of running, a physical Energy Blast (started as a ball, but has grown to be most anything with enough heft). Dang, this could get to be a cool NPC.

Of course who could forget the original Australian Superhero "Captain Invincible" who moved to Australia in the 50s after he was discredited by the Unamerican activities commitee, (Specifically for "Impersonating a Military Officer", "Flying without a pilots licence" and "Wearing his underwear in Public") where he became a drunkard before returning to heroism in the late 70s.

Into the Blue

Help my Amazing Computer Brain is Stuck

Im in Australia, thats why the rats were so big they were Kangaroos!

If you don't know what i'm talking about then you obviously haven't seen the Australian Cult Movie of the late 70s "The Return of Captain Invincible"

I've been thinking of some real world events and places in Australia which could be used as the basis of a superpowered origin

1) The British A Bomb test in the 50s one of which led to a cloud of radiation blowing across Adelaide

2) The crash of Skylab in the late 70s (maybe early 80s??) who knows what weird experiments really were up there, and why did it need to be destroyed.

3) The Coode Island chemical fire in the early 90s, which caused a toxic pall of smoke over Melbourne.

Besides these there are the US Bases at Pine Gap (NT), North West Cape and Nurranga (WA)., the Woomera Rocket Range (not used since the 60s, recently converted to a holding area for illegal immigrants), and the Uranium mines in NT & SA, and the Asbestos Mine in Witernoom (now closed)

As a point of trivia, Hero Games did give us at least one native New Zealand superhero: Aquarian, who appeared in the 4E supplement Champions of the North. Keith Norton was born and raised in Timaru, and was an amphibious mutant and clearly a Sub-Mariner homage. He ran afoul of villainous forces in New Zealand, though, and had to flee, eventually coming to Vancouver and ending up working for us Canucks. :P

• 1 year later...

Okay so this is a definite resurrection!

I was wondering what the news is for Australia in the CU. Someone said someones said someone said there might be a book on the horizon dealing with Australia and New Zealand.

Am I being led by idle gossip? I need to know.

:confused:

P.S. I searched the Threads for something to do with Australia and got this one, so I figured I'd just use it instead of starting a new Thread. You know what they say about recycling, right?