Sky High the movie, now with Extra Vitamin "S" (spoilers)

brionl

Well, I just saw the movie today, and I give it six thumbs up (from the six-armed kid :) ). I thought it was pretty darn good. Although the tension of the first half of the movie, does he or does he not have super-powers, would have been more tense if it hadn't been spoiled in every flingin' flangin' trailer and TV spot.

Nomination for best new DNPC: Ron Wilson, Bus Driver.

Nomination for most obvious spin-off: Sky High, The Animated Series.

Now for the spoilerific stuff...

OK, I figured out pretty quickly that Gwen was working with the villians. No way would a hot senior babe go out with the freshman nerd, no matter who his parents were. ;)

Although I wrongly had her pegged as the daughter of Royal Pain, not RP reborn as it were. I also was betting on All-American Boy moonlighting as Stitches (the Jester evil sidekick). Given his past history with Commander & Jestream it seemed a gimme.

One more thing, I wasn't too worried about Will falling off the edge. For one thing, he's nigh-invulnerable and he also has a flying parent.

Re: Sky High the movie, now with Extra Vitamin "S" (spoilers)

I must've blinked and missed something' date=' but what was the relationship between that freaky harliquin guy and the others? It seemed to me he was just sort of there...?[/quote']

Stitches was Royal Pain's sidekick; when she was "pacified" the first time, he rescued her and raised her until (presumeably) her memories returned.

I'm not clear if all of the babies retained their adult memories. Medulla seemed to, but then genius was his power. Maybe that's why Royal Pain retained hers? If all of them had retained their memories, then her plan to raise a generation of villains under her control would have been, well, a lttle bit crazy.

Stitches was Royal Pain's sidekick; when she was "pacified" the first time' date=' he rescued her and raised her until (presumeably) her memories returned.[/quote']

He was also "Mr. Grayson" when Will walked "Gwen" home.

Stitches was Royal Pain's sidekick; when she was "pacified" the first time, he rescued her and raised her until (presumeably) her memories returned.

I'm not clear if all of the babies retained their adult memories. Medulla seemed to, but then genius was his power. Maybe that's why Royal Pain retained hers? If all of them had retained their memories, then her plan to raise a generation of villains under her control would have been, well, a lttle bit crazy.

Not crazy at all...perhaps a little psychotic, though.

It has been demonstrated repeatedly that whoever has complete control over the education of the young pretty much has a stranglehold on their loyalty. Nutball dictators ranging from Hitler to Stalin to Mao to Pol Pot to Kim Jong Il have reaped the rewards of basically brainwashing generation(s) of their citizens.

Try getting a straight answer about their history from a Cambodian in Cambodia or a North Korean in North Korea if you don't believe me.

It has been demonstrated repeatedly that whoever has complete control over the education of the young pretty much has a stranglehold on their loyalty. Nutball dictators ranging from Hitler to Stalin to Mao to Pol Pot to Kim Jong Il have reaped the rewards of basically brainwashing generation(s) of their citizens.

Try getting a straight answer about their history from a Cambodian in Cambodia or a North Korean in North Korea if you don't believe me.

I taught in China, and I have had students from all over Asia. I'm not unused to students who have undergone fairly heavy indoctrination.

However, her ability to "educate" her charges would have been severely limited if they had retained their full adult memories; 30 or more years of life experience would have been hard to break down without the sort of direct torture that this particular story setting did not permit.

Perhaps Royal Pain didn't actually remember her previous life but was simply raised by Stitches to know all about it. Or maybe he arranged for some kind of past life regression for her. Or her creating a mind wipe ray would work too :)

I taught in China, and I have had students from all over Asia. I'm not unused to students who have undergone fairly heavy indoctrination.

However, her ability to "educate" her charges would have been severely limited if they had retained their full adult memories; 30 or more years of life experience would have been hard to break down without the sort of direct torture that this particular story setting did not permit.

China is neither Cambodia nor North Korea. Mao died several generations ago.

Besides, only a small minority of her victims were adults. The vast majority are highly impressionable teenagers. The troublemaking former adults she could just repacify every 10 years or so to keep them from ever manifesting their powers again.

China is neither Cambodia nor North Korea. Mao died several generations ago.

If you think that the mainlanders are not heavily indoctrinated, you haven't been there.

As to the troublemaking adults being endlessly re-pacified, fan-wank as you will. Personally, I'd say that trying for a grim and angst-filled interpretation of a Disney film is not going to work out well.

It has been demonstrated repeatedly that whoever has complete control over the education of the young pretty much has a stranglehold on their loyalty.

This is why teenagers never rebel against their parents.

I wondered more about the logistics of the five of them taking care of that many infants. Or maybe the 13 of them if Penny did more than her share.

I would assume that Royal Pain had a plan to build something to inspire slavish loyality, but had not dome so yet because after everyone was pacified she had years before anyone's poweres manifested except for Mr. Medulla.

Mister Medulla, not even Doctor Medulla. Probably a backstory behind that.

I was going to see it again today, but we had a storm last night, looks like we may have had a microburst, and two trees were uprooted. Uprooted. Up Root ed. Big, big trees. So looks like I've got some serious chainsaw time today.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Spoilers...

Saw this yesterday. EXCELLENT FILM! Not only as a superhero flick, but as a high school movie. It was perhaps one of the best put together high school films ever. Notice all the 80s music? Notice the standard "bad boy meets hot chick" at the end? Notice the clichishness? All elements of the typical high school movie, but it was practically flawless. I can't remember a thing that forced me to step out of the movie. The reasons for everyone actions were there, they even brought back the bus driver, when they could have written the business card thing off. They could of came up with some other hot babe at the end, but they used the one from the beginning. The detention room was an awesome idea. I mean the writers and director had their act together big time, and deserve every dime they got paid. As something particularly close to my heart, I am so happy to see the "power armor" get portreyed so well. This is promising for my hope to see an Ironman movie become a reality.

HOW ON EARTH COULD CRITICS BAD MOUTH THIS MOVIE?!?!

The heartwood on both trees was punky, so I am less impressed by the wind that uprooted them like a pair of radishes. Got a good start on getting them cut up, but was too tired to go see the movie again. My second look at Sky High will have to wait.

Here is a critic that "almost" got it.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=197580

Not a bad review, but the Harry Potter comparisons are silly. Those are classic bits from children's fantasy; Rowling used them (and well), but she doesn't have them coppyrighted.

It's a bit like being down on Harry Potter because it too closely resembles Narnia and classic UK boarding school stories.

Finally got to see it again. If anything, enjoyed it more the second time than the first.

Anyone got any idea what points to base these characters on?

Will pretends to be working out with a barbell that looks like it has about 700 pounds loaded on it. The Commander comments that light weight, high reps was a good way to go. That would indicate a STR in excess of 25, probably in excess of 30.

Unfortunately, we didn't see The Commander pick up that much stuff, just toy with a 45 lb weight plate as if it were a styrofoam prop. :D

Warren, not know for STR or Invulnerability, gets hit hard enough to get punched through an 8" concrete wall (DEF 6, BODY 5) and damaged what looked like a load bearing pillar (DEF 8, BODY 5). He shrugged it off. Does everyone in that reality have that kind of PD, or should I be more literalist when Ethan ask "If Warren isn't here, is this still the Tough Guy table?"

(Humm, Warren, like Will, has two super parents, and Nurse Spex did mention that Will could manifest the powers of one, or both parents. The more I think of it, the more I think Warren has two powers.)

But back to that hit. That was in excess of 20 inches KB, which means the BODY on the punch could have been between 22 and 34. an average of 135 STR.

OK, let's assume Will's STR has double KB, and he rolled snake eyes to subtract from KB. That would be about a 60 STR.

So what does herodome assembeled think? Is Will's STR closer to 30, 60 w/ double KB, or 135?

So what does every