pulp hero over opinions?

demonjuice

what are people's opinions of the pulp hero cover?

I myself am fairly disappointed at the logo for the line, and the art for the cover. you look at how gorgeous original pulp covers still are, and other suppliments, and the covers looks unprofessional at worst and below standard at best

Re: pulp hero over opinions?

I have revised my opinion, The cover art for pulp hero is an embarasment, and cannot have an anything but an adverse impact on sales.

Just look at the text logo in comparision to the logo's other product lines alone, not to mention Justice Incorporated, and look how inferior it is. even on a dark background the distance visability of the logo is terrible. it takes just a few feet before it starts to disolve into something that looks like a rorshach puddle of p*ss because of the awful design.

I have revised my opinion, The cover art for pulp hero is an embarasment, and cannot have an anything but an adverse impact on sales.

Just look at the text logo in comparision to the logo's other product lines alone, not to mention Justice Incorporated, and look how inferior it is. even on a dark background the distance visability of the logo is terrible. it takes just a few feet before it starts to disolve into something that looks like a rorshach puddle of p*ss because of the awful design.

EEK! Dude...it's not THAT bad....:ugly:

Re: pulp hero cover opinions?

Wow, you guys are being pretty harsh. I think the logo is fine. Same with the art. It might not be the type of picture I would put on a cover, but it is still good. (I'm partial to the giant robot/mad scientist style of pulp)

As for adverse sales? I doubt it. The Pulp genre is pretty unique and the people who want to play it, or are interested in it, will buy the book no matter what the cover looks like. Other people might buy it later with good word of mouth or reviews, in which case, again, cover art won't matter.

There has been way too much *****ing on these boards about book art. Art is so far down the list of importance it is not funny. It is the text of the book that is important. If you guys want fancy art go to a f--king museum.

I thought about starting a thread like this when I first saw the cover, but didn't want to seem like a doom loving nabob of negativity. But since you asked my opinion, here goes...

I think the art itself is very nicely done. No complaints about the ability of John Grigni here. But I do have a problem with the content of it. Call me old fashioned, but I don't like that there's a man pointing a gun at a woman on the cover. Not a big deal perhaps, (I'm surprised it's bothering me actually) but it could be offputting for other people.

The logo, with it's big friendly yellow letters, seems more like something from Seventies game show than the era of hard boiled adventures to me. But I'm sure the person who designed it has probably done more research in this area than I have.

Bottom line - I don't think it will deter people from buying the book, but I doubt that it will positively influence people who are debating buying the book.

Sorry...I like it...it seems very "pulpy" to me ...though I too would have liked a more "spicy story" style cover....say a adventurer/football player battling a natzi hand to hand to rescue a damsel in ripped clothes...to each their own I guess...:)

Well if you consider your average pulp covers normally look like this:

http://www.imagenetion.com/supercoll/pulpart3/pages/p-Pulp_Art_060_H_J_Ward.htm

Or this: (Not Really all that Safe for Work)

http://www.imagenetion.com/supercoll/pulpart3/pages/p-Pulp_Art_059_Margaret_Brundage.htm

Or maybe this:

http://www.photonetion1.com/pinot/pulpart1/pages/p-Pulp_Art_010_H_J_Ward.htm

Or this:

http://www.photonetion1.com/pinot/pulpart2/pages/p-Pulp_Art_032_Rafael_de_Soto.htm

I think the art work is pretty good for the cover. It has action, adventure, and thrilling places all in the cover.

I thought your art was great for DH, but I personally don't like Nazi symbolism being used in general for something that is going to be the lead for an item, which the cover of a book is.

I know that wasn't your intent, and it clearly is an in-genre piece of art, I just find it to be crass. Look at any modern pulp action novel in the supermarket, you will invariably see a book that has a swastika on the cover. It catches the eye, it is salacious (in a non-sexual way) to our sensibilities.

So, I feel that the current cover art would have been the better choice even if your piece had been offered up in time.

TB

EDIT: Well, now that I look a little closer at the artwork it turns out that I'm not as observant as I thought I was. The airship clearly has a swastika on it's side, just it goes off the page so it isn't immediately obvious that it's a Nazi Airship. Well, it is obscured enough that it doesn't jump off the page and scream Nazi at me so it doesn't bother me so much as if it were front in center.

Somehow a man shooting at a woman, even if she is a Nazi, I found very disturbing and not really in keeping at all with the Pulp genre. Call it sexist or whatever you like, but it seems to be to be in contradiction to the general attitude at the time that women were to be protected, generally, and not shot at.

I don't like this cover at all.

Guest Admiral C

The logo, with it's big friendly yellow letters, seems more like something from Seventies game show than the era of hard boiled adventures to me. But I'm sure the person who designed it has probably done more research in this area than I have.

Bottom line - I don't think it will deter people from buying the book, but I doubt that it will positively influence people who are debating buying the book.

I agree about the lettering. I have no problem with the art though (I thought I smelled a Central American temple weeks ago though). The lettering is really going to bug me as time goes on not only because it will be on my copy of Pulp Hero when I get one but I'll have to see the logo on any Pulp Hero products as well as everytime I got to the main part of the Hero web page under the procust catagories.

It's only a matter of time before all the logos appear next the appropriate bins on the message boards and I'll have to see it there too.

Adm

I like the cover art, very nice and conveys the feel and a lot of elements of pulp stories. The lettering in the title is a bit goofy to me, but its okay.

Shooting the dame doesn't both me so much, as Curufea said its not terribly uncommon in the noir stories for women to get shot.