The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

*Ding!* Congratulations! Your marriage is now 17th level! :P

You get a Non-Class Feat at this level. I recommend something from the "Feign Listen" tree. Improved Postive Response is a good one. You can sound like you're listening as a free action and don't need to make a bluff roll.

I'm going to the opera again later this month.

I hope you have a good seat. I really enjoyed my last trip to the opera but I had the worst seat in the house and by the end of the performance (which featured I Paglicacci and a staged version of Orff's Carmina Burana) I had a serious pain in my neck.

But there's no experience quite like seeing an opera or symphony performance live, in person. Portland State University has a student orchestra, and several years ago I for to see them do a rousing rendition of Stravisnky's Rite of Spring (which as a ballet score caused a literal riot at its premiere in Paris). They also have a student opera company which puts on one production a year (they did a pretty good rendition of The Marriage of Figaro a while back).

I hope you have a good seat. I really enjoyed my last trip to the opera but I had the worst seat in the house and by the end of the performance (which featured I Paglicacci and a staged version of Orff's Carmina Burana) I had a serious pain in my neck.

But there's no experience quite like seeing an opera or symphony performance live, in person. Portland State University has a student orchestra, and several years ago I for to see them do a rousing rendition of Stravisnky's Rite of Spring (which as a ballet score caused a literal riot at its premiere in Paris). They also have a student opera company which puts on one production a year (they did a pretty good rendition of The Marriage of Figaro a while back).

I'm going to be in the rear balcony for the performances, since that's all I can afford. But I'm used to that view. When I was a student, I could get discount tickets and sit at the orchestra.

I'm waiting for confirmation (and for the payment to go through) on a gift subscription to Opera News I bought for my mother. I saw the magazine at my physical therapist's waiting room (brought in by a client) and knew she'd love it. And I had the money to actually do it.

Today in the car I put on Fragile, by Yes, which I picked up off iTunes last night.

Ben, my 12 year-old:

"Wow! What is this? Why haven't I heard this before? You should play this more often!"

This is a part of Fatherhood I've been waiting for. The Sharing Of The Good Music.

I applied for an affordable housing unit in an area that was going to be high price (6-7 figure condos) of Portland on the riverfront before the housing bust. I found out last week I was approved, pending a certification of my income/bank accounts to make sure I'm not a millionaire in disguise and I get to move in when the units are finished in December!

Finally, going to be living on my own again :)

I did that a while ago' date=' and I'll be damned if I quit my precious precious coffee again.[/quote']

Other side of the coin. Caffiene hasn't had a "useful" effect on me for years. Drink a pot of coffee? Nap-time. Eat a one-pound bag of chocolate-covered espresso beans? Sleep like a baby. Still, while not as heavy a coffee and tea drinker as I once was (particularly in the USAF), I drank both pretty frequently, simply because I enjoy them.

Since I still assumed it was doing something *to* me, if not necessarily *for* me, I've periodically quit indulging, cold-turkey (with no ill effects) for 3-9 months at a time, to let myself "de-tox".

However...

I started one of my de-tox phases about ten days ago. Six days ago, I got hit with the worst migraine I've had in roughly ten years. I was a wreck for three whole days.

I don't believe in coincidence. I don't want to do that again. And I don't want to surrender the ability to "quit" caffiene when I feel the need to do so. So I'm quitting (no quotes) for good.

This is not a new thing for me. I did much the same with salt and sugar years ago, for common-sense health reasons. Not that they're gone from my diet entirely; I'll have a dessert or sprinkle some salt on something once in a great while. The same will hold true for coffee and tea, and I've never been a soda-drinker.