The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

My son reinvented the "Vigenère cipher" on his own this evening' date=' for his own nefarious purposes. A bit late in developing, but it warms my heart.[/quote']

The what ?

Crypto. Basically it's like using the decoder ring from a cereal box (or Pulp Hero) with a different offset for each letter, where the offset is determined by a key. Had to know it for my CISSP exam but it's been obsolete for a couple of centuries now.

As for my own Nice Happy™, we closed on the refi yesterday. 3.25% is just an insanely low interest rate. We might actually be able to save money now, though I suspect I'd have to cut up a couple of my wife's credit cards to really make it happen.

I'm going to post this both in the Happy Thread and the Cranky Thread. Why? Because it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Basically, I just gave my employers a month's notice. I've been unhappy there for a long time, and it's time I left. On the other hand, I don't have anything lined up, so I also have this "oh, crap!" feeling. Still, knowing I'm on a deadline is the kick in the pants I need to get a decent job.

Today has been a roller coaster of emotion.

I'm going to post this both in the Happy Thread and the Cranky Thread. Why? Because it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Basically, I just gave my employers a month's notice. I've been unhappy there for a long time, and it's time I left. On the other hand, I don't have anything lined up, so I also have this "oh, crap!" feeling. Still, knowing I'm on a deadline is the kick in the pants I need to get a decent job.

Today has been a roller coaster of emotion.

Some of my moments of greatest elation have been when I've given notice to a soon-to-be-former employer. I've generally already had another job lined up though so I can understand if you're on an emotional speedball right now. I'm happy for you that you've found the will to move on, and wish you good luck in your job hunt.

• 2 weeks later...

I have another job lined up. I'm basically transferring to another branch closer to home. I'll still be doing the same thing, but without the emotional baggage of my current location.

I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket. I'm still going to the job fairs, and I have a couple of phone interviews.

It's a bittersweet feeling. I made a few friends in my old place, and a lot of my students are going to be unhappy about my leaving. Still, I need to move forward.

Thanks. I'm surprised at how quickly I got hired, considering I haven't even had a face-to-face interview.

On my way to work, I realized I've been working in the same place for nearly a third of my life, and I'm walking away from it. That gave me a nasty shock. But fortune favors the bold, so I'm moving forward.

Just got 13 out of 15 on recognising Countries flags. Sometimes it was difficult as the choices are African and Far Eastern. No easy ones like UK, USA, France etc.

Also got a couple of pieces of art this week. Will be able to share once they are in the respectibe artists galleries and the board is back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

So, as some of you know, I recently changed careers. My early work was "Whatever I could find that would pay me." and that lead to banking where I spent a miraculous 12 years. 8 of them good.

But now I've taken the step to do something I like, which turns out to be IT and I'm a desktop support, third monkey for a 3 man IT team. Well I've been at the job for Thirteen and a half months now and one of the things I was supposed to do was to get my CompTIA A+ certification.

Self-teaching/motivating has never been my strong suit and I spent much of the last 2 years trying to force myself through the huge book from 2009. Due to some vacations upcoming with my IT bretheren I had to get the tests taken today and I was...not thrilled.

My flash cards were kicking my ass and I could never remember the difference between printer pieces and wireless standards...

but my boss told me "Don't worry, if you don't pass you take it again." they pay so this was bothering me I didn't want to be a money sponge to them. But I sucked it up and took the test...

$366 and 4 hours later, I r certified. It feels pretty good.

Now I have to go tell the lovely, talented, and wise Carol that her faith in me has not been misplaced. *sigh* the things I gotta do...

I've been kind of selfish this past week, or feel like it, so let me just say I'm happy for those that have something celebrate. Still, time is limited, so I shall just address the last three.

Enforcer- Congrats on the Recertification. Dude, I say this as a friend, thou art more awesome than thou knowest.

tkdguy- Congratulations to you as well. Good luck, bon chance, and good vibrations Beach Boys style.

FranklL- Excellent! Let us know how it goes and when it goes on sale?

I went to my new office for training/orientation today and met the new boss. Glad to finally meet her; we've been playing phone tag until now. I have a good feeling about my new job. I think it's going to work out.

That's good to hear after you left your old job under a dark cloud. Good luck!

Thanks, guys. Fortunately, I was able to leave the old job under somewhat good terms with the management. Hopefully the new job (more like a transfer, since I'm just working for a different franchise) will work out. But if it doesn't, I have a few options.

Today was my last day in the San Francisco branch, so I was said goodbye to everyone and visited some old haunts one last time. You know you're getting sentimental when you say goodbye to inanimate objects.

I've been kind of selfish this past week, or feel like it, so let me just say I'm happy for those that have something celebrate. Still, time is limited, so I shall just address the last three.

Enforcer- Congrats on the Recertification. Dude, I say this as a friend, thou art more awesome than thou knowest.

tkdguy- Congratulations to you as well. Good luck, bon chance, and good vibrations Beach Boys style.

FranklL- Excellent! Let us know how it goes and when it goes on sale?

Thank you! May 15 is the launch date. The book is with the editor right now. She contacted me that there weren't any plot holes or big problems she could see, so it would be grammar and line copy. There will be more details as it comes closer.