Request for a write up: Deathstroke the Terminator

Hermit

Re: Request for a write up: Deathstroke the Terminator

My copy is in storage, but there was an "official" write-up for him done by Steve Peterson for Different Worlds magazine back in the 80s. IIRC he was a light brick with lots of martial arts, tons of skills, the sword, grenades, and gun, body armor, and a SPD around 8 or 9.

Dude' date=' he has the power of lobotomy, remember, he uses 90% of his brain. :)[/quote']

Well, my only exposure to him was from one issue of his own series where he was obviously damned good, but no mention was made of his brainpower, and the Teen Titans series, where again ... he just looked like a great inventor, strategist, and fighter. His enhanced Brainpower was never mentioned in the series that I recall.

Well' date=' my only exposure to him was from one issue of his own series where he was obviously damned good, but no mention was made of his brainpower, and the Teen Titans series, where again ... he just looked like a great inventor, strategist, and fighter. His enhanced Brainpower was never mentioned in the series that I recall.[/quote']

I guess I should say "enhanced Neural response" instead of brainpower. You see, for a time, a large chunk of the public had the mistaken impression that we only use 10% of our brain. One of the reasons given for Deathstroke's rapid response time, amazing reflexes, and tactical ability was that he used "90%" of his. They don't play that up so much any more last I saw, though I never was an expert on the character (one of the reasons I went looking for a sheet). He also, IIRC, has rapid healing, but how recent or old that 'power' is, I do not know.

I guess I should say "enhanced Neural response" instead of brainpower. You see' date=' for a time, a large chunk of the public had the mistaken impression that we only use 10% of our brain. One of the reasons given for Deathstroke's rapid response time, amazing reflexes, and tactical ability was that he used "90%" of his.[/quote']

The Nightfighter, from Australia's Cyclone Comics, was another character who drew on this theme as an explanation for his powers. The main difference was that he seemed to be supposed to be drawing on an unused 90% of physical ability, rather than mental, and that his powers were dependent on adrenalin. He wasn't, to put it mildly, a genius.

I will almost certainly play a Nightfighter homage as my next character, once I smooth out certain issues I have with his origin. The idea of using Deathstroke as an additional influence on my homage is... intriguing. While Deathstroke is hardly a cosmic powered character, he's certainly tougher than the Nightfighter, and could be a useful example for how my homage could grow with experience.

I'll have to pull out my copy of the article with the Deathstroke writeup, as well as his DC Heroes stats...

lets see

hes probably just a little above human max or strength and Dex ( IE he's a match for The Bat)

he has super healing not as quick as say wolverine often ends up in hospital but he will recover from just about any wound given time and medical attention including death.

he's very resistant to drugs especially truth serums as that was the purpose of the original experiment.

in terms of weaponry he normally carries

a modified high calibre pistol, his sword which is special honed for extreme sharpness and finally his battle staff.

a collapsible quarterstaff that also contains a multiple power range energy weapon with both stun and killing attacks up to antivehicle level. hes also used the staff as a boost to leaping.

lets see

hes probably just a little above human max or strength and Dex ( IE he's a match for The Bat)

he has super healing not as quick as say wolverine often ends up in hospital but he will recover from just about any wound given time and medical attention including death.

he's very resistant to drugs especially truth serums as that was the purpose of the original experiment.

in terms of weaponry he normally carries

a modified high calibre pistol, his sword which is special honed for extreme sharpness and finally his battle staff.

a collapsible quarterstaff that also contains a multiple power range energy weapon with both stun and killing attacks up to antivehicle level. hes also used the staff as a boost to leaping.

If you go with the Mayfair DC writeups and, more importantly, his appearances in the New Teen Titans in the 80s, Deathstroke is stronger and more dextrous than Batman.

Here's one I quickly put together:

DEATHSTROKE THE TERMINATOR

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [2]

21 DEX 33 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

20 CON 20 13-

14 BODY 8 12-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

18 EGO 16 13- ECV: 6

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

15 COM 3 12-

8+10 PD 3 Total: 8/18 PD (0/10 rPD)

5+10 ED 1 Total: 5/15 ED (0/10 rED)

6 SPD 29 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

12 REC 6

60 END 10

40 STUN 3 Total Characteristic Cost: 157

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 15"/30"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

25 Armored Costume: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+¼) (37 Active

Points); OIF (-½)

39 Machine Gun: RKA 2d6+1, 16 clips of 12 Charges (+¼), Autofire (5

shots; +½), Armor Piercing (+½) (79 Active Points); OAF (-1) [12]

30 Power Staff: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all

slots OAF (-1)

1u 1) Metal Staff: HA +5d6 (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand

Attack (-½) 2

2u 2) Power Blast: RKA 3d6+1 (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), 12 Charges

(-¼) [12]

1u 3) Vaulting: Leaping +10" (15" forward, 7 ½" upward) (10 Active

Points); OAF (-1) 1

40 Regeneration: Healing Simplified Healing 6d6 (60 Active Points); Self

Only (-½) 6

17 Sword: HKA 2d6+1 (4d6 w/STR) (35 Active Points); OAF (-1) 3

12 Willpower: Mental Defense (16 points total)

Martial Art: Advanced Commando Training

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

3 Basic Strike +1 +0 10d6 Strike

4 Choke Hold -2 +0 Grab One Limb; 3 ½d6 NND

5 Defensive Block +1 +3 Block, Abort

5 Disarming Throw +0 +0 Grab Weapon, 45 STR to take weapon

away; Target Falls

3 Flying Tackle +0 -1 8d6 +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls;

FMove

5 Joint Break -1 -2 Grab One Limb; HKA 2d6 +1 , Disable

4 Joint Lock/Throw +1 +0 Grab One Limb; 2 ½d6 NND ;

Target Falls

4 Killing Strike -2 +0 HKA 2d6 +1

3 Legsweep +2 -1 9d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 Martial Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Martial Escape +0 +0 55 STR vs. Grabs

4 Martial Strike +0 +2 10d6 Strike

4 Nerve Strike -1 +1 3 ½d6 NND

5 Offensive Strike -2 +1 12d6 Strike

4 Reversal -1 -2 55 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs

4 Shove +0 +0 55 STR to Shove

5 Takeaway +0 +0 Grab Weapon, 50 STR to take weapon

away

4 Weapon Bind +1 +0 Bind, 50 STR

2 Weapon Element: Blades, Off Hand

12 +3 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

10 Affluent: Money: Wealthy

10 Mercenary : Reputation: Best of the Best (A medium-sized group)

14-, +5/+5d6

20 Ravager II: Follower

3 Well-Connected

14 1) Former Contract: Contact: The HIVE (Contact has access to

major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own,

Contact has very useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3)

(15 Active Points) 8-

7 2) Lex Luthor: Contact: Lex Luthor (Contact has access to major

institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact

has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact) (8

Active Points) 11-

5 3) Nightwing: Contact: Dick Grayson (Contact has access to major

institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact

has significant Contacts of his own) (6 Active Points) 8-

29 4) Villains United: Contact: The Society (Contact has access to

major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources,

Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship

with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (30 Active Points) 12-

Talents

3 Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)

3 Bump Of Direction

18 Combat Sense 15-

8 Combat Shooting

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Lightsleep

10 Resistance (10 points)

3 Simulate Death

Skills

32 Combat Training: +4 with All Combat

9 Skilled Martial Artist: +3 with Martial Maneuvers

21 Studied Fighting : +4 with All Combat (32 Active Points); Requires

Analyze: Combat An Roll (-½)

7 Acrobatics 15-

9 Analyze: Combat 15-

7 Breakfall 15-

3 Bribery 12-

3 Bugging 12-

3 Bureaucratics 12-

7 Climbing 15-

7 Combat Driving 15-

7 Combat Piloting 15-

7 Deduction 14-

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

7 Demolitions 14-

5 Disguise 13-

7 Fast Draw 15-

2 Forgery (Papers) 12-

3 High Society 12-

7 Interrogation 14-

8 KS: Mercenary World 17-

6 KS: Teen Titans/Titans Membership 15-

3 Linguist

2 1) Language: Arabic (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active Points)

2 2) Language: Japanese (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active

Points)

2 3) Language: Russian (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active Points)

2 4) Language: Vietnamese (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active

Points)

3 Lipreading 12-

3 Lockpicking 13-

3 Mimicry 12-

4 Navigation (Air, Land, Marine) 12-

3 Oratory 12-

3 Parachuting 13-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Persuasion 12-

5 Rapid Attack (HTH)

5 Rapid Attack (Ranged)

5 Rapid Autofire

3 Riding 13-

3 Security Systems 12-

3 Shadowing 12-

7 Stealth 15-

3 Streetwise 12-

22 Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Marine, Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical,

Desert, Mountain, Underground, Urban) 15-

2 Systems Operation (Communications Systems) 12-

11 Tactics 16-

9 Tracking 15-

13 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Combat Aircraft, Equines,

Helicopters, Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic, SCUBA, Skiing

(snow), Small Military Ships, Small Motorized Boats, Small Planes,

Snowmobiles, Tracked Military Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized

Ground Vehicles, Wheeled Military Vehicles

10 Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH)

10 Two-Weapon Fighting (Ranged)

21 WF: Beam Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile

Weapons, Emplaced Weapons, Energy Weapons, Small Arms,

Flamethrowers, Garrote, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns,

Grenade Launchers, Nets, Off Hand, Shoulder-Fired Weapons, Staffs,

Whips

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 752

Total Cost: 908

200+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: Checkmate 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Outsiders 11- (As Pow, NCI, Capture)

15 Hunted: Teen Titans 11- (Less Pow, NCI, Capture)

10 Physical Limitation: One Eye (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

10 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Mercenary (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful (Common, Strong)

20 Social Limitation: Wanted Criminal (Very Frequently, Major)

588 Villain Bonus

Total Disadvantage Points: 708

Earned Experience: 0

Spent Experience: 0

Unspent Experience: 0

Background/History: (From Wikipedia) Imbued with amazing physical prowess by secret army experiments, Deathstroke the Terminator (called "Terminator" for most of his published existence) also has an amazing healing factor which can regenerate his body, even from death. He is also a crack marksman and skilled hand-to-hand combatant, and is willing to fight dirty when necessary.

However, he kept this career secret from his family, even though his wife was a crack military combat instructor, until a criminal kidnapped his younger son, Joseph, as a hostage to force Slade to divulge some secret information. Slade refused to do so, and attacked and killed the kidnappers at the rendezvous. Unfortunately, Joseph's throat was slashed by one of the criminals before Slade could prevent it, destroying his vocal cords and rendering him mute. After taking Joseph to the hospital, Slade's wife, enraged at his endangerment of her son, tried to kill Slade by shooting him, but only managed to destroy his right eye. Afterward, his confidence in his physical abilities was such that he made no secret of his impaired vision, marked by his mask which has a black featureless half covering his lost eye.

Slade has a long history as an enemy of the Teen Titans, beginning when his other son, Grant, became an early Titans foe called the Ravager who was physically enhanced to fulfil a contract to kill or capture the Teen Titans. However, those enhancements proved fatal and Slade agreed to complete the contract. As a result, he attacked the Titans continually and finally succeeded in capturing them by introducing Terra into the team as a spy. At the end of this plot, Slade was defeated and captured with the help of Joseph, who joined the team as Jericho. Despite their enmity, he has grudgingly worked alongside the Titans on occasion, usually to battle a greater evil.

Terminator was eventually forced to kill Jericho after his possession by the tainted souls of Azarath. Recently it was revealed that Jericho managed to transfer his consciousness into Terminator in the instant before his death. Taking control of his father, Jericho launched a series of attacks against the current Teen Titans, most notably shattering Impulse's knee with a shotgun blast. Terminator was freed of Jericho's control and has since brought his one remaining child, Rose Wilson, into the mercenary business as the new Ravager.

Terminator received his own series, Deathstroke the Terminator, in 1991; this series lasted for 61 issues (#1-60 plus a special #0 issue), being cancelled shortly after Zero Hour. It was retitled to Deathstroke the Hunted for issues #0 and #41-45 and then simply "Deathstroke" from 46 through 60. Deathstroke has recently allied himself with Lex Luthor and several other major supervillians as part of the new Secret Society.

Even though the character of Deathstroke the Terminator pre-dates the first Arnold Schwarzenegger "Terminator" film by four years, the Slade Wilson character is now simply called "Deathstroke", even by characters who had called him "Terminator" for years, possibly to avoid confusion.

Rob Liefeld famously parodied the Deathstroke character in his work at Marvel Comics, creating Wade Wilson, alias Deadpool, an amoral, quick-healing mercenary who clashed with Marvel's formerly-teenaged hero team, X-Force.

Quote: “Mebbe not so funny. Grayson’s their leader because he’s the best. Powers augment a person, they don’t make ‘im. I was the best before I became this way … now what I do is just easier.â€

Options

+15 Wintergreen: Follower

+20 Terra: Follower

+20 Immortality: Add Resurrection to Healing.

+5 Infrared Eye: Infrared Vision (In some stories, he’s said to have

a fake eye that allows this)

Bad_deathstroke.jpg

Dude, he has the power of lobotomy, remember, he uses 90% of his brain. :)

I’ve always wondered if his rouges gallery included guys like One-Billion-Chinamen-Man who can mind control everyone in china to climb onto a chair and jump off, The Spectacular Spider Spinster, who can mentally command the army of spiders that live in her hair, and Tanning Booth Teen, who can cook people from the inside with UV light.

---

And they won’t know they’ve been cooked for days, of course.

An important thing to note about DS is that his power level varies pretty much by writer and situation (ie no continuity).

As a super villain who has to fight the Titans or the JLA, he's up there. After he became an anti-hero, he had a problem with a skilled normal when they tussled in a butcher's shop. He also just managed to beat down Batman even though he should have handed the Bat his butt in a straight up fight given his enhanced status. Heck even nightwing went a few rounds with him in the Teen Titans after Titan's hunt.

That rant over, I'd go with the team killer and have a dex of about 33 and speed of 8-9 although nine is probably pushing it. It depends on your team's power level. He is fast enought to react to the flash although that's normally in closed quarters where Wally couldn't revved up to full speed. Lots of combat levels (4-6), Regeneration: Immortal, LS: Unaging, and tons of fun toys (armor, pistols, rifles, staff that emitts energy rays). Strength, Con, and Body are also super human (30-35 str, 28-30 con, and 18-20 body).

If it sounds like alot, it IS. Depending on the writer, DS is pretty much unstoppable by lower powered supers and is the world's greatest merc. You can always adjust of course though since the writer's do. In one Batgirl story, he couldn't lay a hand on her because of her ability to read him. Currently, she acknowledged after a fight with him that he was playing with her and could have won. I go with the latter myself since the early BG issues really inflated her combat skill (even Batman couldn't seem to take her on in a straight up fight). Of course in an adventure where you want the team's MA to have a good showing, you can take DS down to more reasonable levels. In fact, you could have two write ups: one when he's facing a team and another when he's facing a single opponent with the justification of GM's fiat.

Always remember that that DS is a tactical genius and he will have a ton of plans to help him win the day. In a fair fight, he'll probably lose to the heroes... but he never fights fair.

I agree with everything Powerhouse has said about my favorite merc. He is designed as a team beater, that said he only really seems to shine when he is faced with a team. Nightwing, the DCUs finest natural athlete, is hard pressed to keep up with him and never really wins. All stats should be squarely in the Superhuman Mini-brick/Speedster range for your campaign. Thus Sketchpad's build is fine for Skills IMHO but is sorely lacking in the Characteristics department.

As an aside I am glad they depowered Batgirl a bit. Cool concept but the whole teenage girl greatest warrior ever was overdone by Joss Whedon years ago. Besides Batman is a master warrior who uses that cape as a distraction/concealment to prevent people from reading too much into his body language. Ergo the kid looses, she is also beaten by King Snake in his favored venue because she should fail to see him act. Next time BG faces Lady Shiva you just know she is going to Bloodsport the girl by slapping some ninja powder in her eyes. :eg:

Hawksmoor

Next time BG faces Lady Shiva you just know she is going to Bloodsport the girl by slapping some ninja powder in her eyes

As a Shiva fan, I'd respecffully disagree since for Shiva, the battle is the thing and a win over BG by cheating would be an empty one. Of course, if BG was just in the way, I could see Shiva cheating to get to her objective. And yes, I'm ignoring the end of the Dragon series where she jumped into to fight an exhausted Richard Dragon since that was TERRIBLY out of character.

Overall though, thanks for the kind words and agreement.

Next time BG faces Lady Shiva you just know she is going to Bloodsport the girl by slapping some ninja powder in her eyes

As a Shiva fan, I'd respecffully disagree since for Shiva, the battle is the thing and a win over BG by cheating would be an empty one. Of course, if BG was just in the way, I could see Shiva cheating to get to her objective. And yes, I'm ignoring the end of the Dragon series where she jumped into to fight an exhausted Richard Dragon since that was TERRIBLY out of character.

Overall though, thanks for the kind words and agreement.

Unless of course Lady Shiva thinks that the kids "Body Reading" ability is more akin to a superpower (which it is) and thus removing it from play is a truer test of the Batgirl's ability. I would agree though in general Lady Shiva is an honorable villian, she'll kill you but she won't assassinate you.

Classic Gunfighter Mentality Disadvantage

Hawksmoor

Unless of course Lady Shiva thinks that the kids "Body Reading" ability is more akin to a superpower (which it is) and thus removing it from play is a truer test of the Batgirl's ability. I would agree though in general Lady Shiva is an honorable villian, she'll kill you but she won't assassinate you.

She doesn't see in that way and indeed it has been revealed in BG that Shiva does that herself. When the two first met, Shiva beat her pretty badly because BG has lost that ability. To have a true test of skills, Shiva taught BG how to regain that ability in exchange for a death duel one year later which BG won by the barest of margins.