what does it take to get a copy of 5ER

Spectre

Re: what does it take to get a copy of 5ER

I've put in an order for a copy of 5er at my local game store like 2 months ago and still they still can't get a copy of it in. What the heck does a guy have to do to get a copy of 5ER?

How about cancelling that order at your not-quite-so-friendly FLGS, and order from the online store?

How about cancelling that order at your not-quite-so-friendly FLGS' date=' and order from the online store?[/quote']

yeah about that, there doesn't seem to be any (damaged, or otherwise) in the online store. now what?

Here are links to several reputable online retailers who, at the time I write this, are advertising copies of 5ER for sale:

FRP Games (for $39.99)

Noble Knight Games (for $41.95)

The Dragon's Trove (for $49.99)

Titan Games (for $49.99)

I included all of them in case shipping charges, proximity to you, or the possibility of selling to or trading with some of them, would make a difference to you.

I've put in an order for a copy of 5er at my local game store like 2 months ago and still they still can't get a copy of it in. What the heck does a guy have to do to get a copy of 5ER?

You might check with your FLGS and ask them if there is a problem with their distributer. Copies are out there and exist. It could be that their distributer only delivers when they order so many items or they just haven't made a priority of Hero Game products.

There are definitely alternatives mentioned to get the book quickly.

Wow, it's good news anytime they sell out of the core book. (Well, good unless you really need one!)

Hey, maybe they'll do that special edition with the Titanium cover now ;)

See, I don't see this as a good thing. (I know this won't be a popular opinion, spare me the flames.) I think completely selling out of your core rulebook and not having any available for sale is kind of inexcusable. How much is lost in sales? I guess there is a balance between keeping too much inventory vs. the costs of a reprint, but, I don't know, I think it could be handled better...

I imagine they've got a number they use as a gauge; When X amount of books are ordered by retailers, they reprint.

The business model for many game companies is that the Core books bring in the money and the rest are just there to bolster interest in the core books. So there being a demand for them is a good thing. As for lost sales, yes it would be nice if they had a perpetual supply, but I doubt anyone so interested in getting the book as to order it from their retailer or direct from the company is going to abandon ship because it took a little while to get their book.

Hero isn't like many companies, who take way longer than they say to get in books.

Josh and I ordered ours off ebay.

But then, our FLGS is HORRIBLE at keeping Hero products in stock. We checked with them 3 times, then we went ahead and ordered it.

See' date=' I don't see this as a good thing. (I know this won't be a popular opinion, spare me the flames.) I think completely selling out of your core rulebook and not having any available for sale is kind of inexcusable. How much is lost in sales? I guess there is a balance between keeping too much inventory vs. the costs of a reprint, but, I don't know, I think it could be handled better...[/quote']

Well, there's what DOJ is out of and what the Distributors are out of. There may be many copies circulating out there in Distributor Land, getting them to the (F)LGS is another matter entirely and is a deal between the LGS and the Distributor - DOJ/HERO is effectively out of that loop. It's also up to the Distributors to tell DOJ when they're running low and monitor their own stock.

And then there's the guessing game of "How fast do they sell" vs "How much can we physically keep on hand of any given book" and sometimes that's misjudged. It's a difficult equation to work out because just never know when that random sales surge will come in.

Is being out of a book, any book still in print, a good thing? Nope. But at least it can indicate that sales are healthy.

My FLGS had a tough time with Hero products. Referring them to the distributors listing on this site helped, as we did finally locate a distributor who gets Hero products in, and ships them, although I tend to get them a month to six weeks after release date.

I imagine they've got a number they use as a gauge; When X amount of books are ordered by retailers, they reprint.

Hero isn't like many companies, who take way longer than they say to get in books.

He certainly has a point there. Palladium, for example, is running more than 10 years behind on at least to books (and that is just releasing them for the first time!). Other books they have let go out of print more or less permanently (such as Source Book One for Rifts) and yet still referrer to information contained in it in their later supplements. Besides their system is about 12 years past due for a revision which they steadfastly refuse to believe is needed, even as long term players such as myself, (proud previous palladium player number 8,932) abandon the game completely. So be happy with DOJ compared to most companies out there they are vastly superior.