The Treasure of Emperor Qin

Michael Hopcroft

There is bound to be a pulp adventure somewhere in this: archeologists using magnetic imaging technology have discovered that Qin Shihuangdi, the ruthelss tyrant who essentially created a unified China, was buried with his entire treasury. And it's still there, untouched for two millenia.

Mind you, the bulk of the mountain of coins are bronze, and there's no gold in the hoard at all (Qin's regime didn't even use gold as money), but the adventuring possibilities are amazing when you think about it. Qin was able to build an enormous empire (especially for his day) essentially on his own resources, guile and utter disregard for the dignity of any other human being. The secret to his power might well be buried with him, and some people (Nazis? Japanese agents? Mao Tse-Tung? Ruthless American businessmen?) would stop at nothing to obtain that power for themselves.

And Qin's tomb is guarded by thousands of terra cotta soldiers, who in a game might do considerably more than just stand mutely.

Then there is the fact that Qin spent the b etter portion of his life on a quest for immortaility. Can we really be sure that he failed? What if the adventurers open the tomb and find that some men are far too evil to truly die....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Treasure of Emperor Qin

Not to mention that the nearby city of Xi'An is really cool. It has the largest intact city walls of any modern city. When Susan and I visited there in 2002, I looked at them and said that if I were an attacking army, I'd just turn around. A picture can't really give you a feel for how massive they are, but here's some anyway. The first one is horribly overexposed, but gives a feel for the thickness of the wall. That "tunnel" is the thickness of the barbican wall. There's a killing field on the other side and then more wall. The second is from atop one of the towers looking donw the length.

Other cool Qin stuff. Originally, the tombs were floored with a pool of Mercury. It's all gone now, but that would really make for an interesting fight if it were still there somehow. Any ideas on the penalties for fighint in ankle-deep mercury?

The terra cotta soldiers originally all bore functional weapons. They would make ideal weapons of opportunity that would break on a 14- after the first use. Or not at all in a more cinematic game.

Here is a great site for some mysteries associated with the tomb:

http://english.people.com.cn/200507/09/eng20050709_195157.html

Keith "Qin bu hao" Curtis

Other cool Qin stuff. Originally' date=' the tombs were floored with a pool of Mercury. It's all gone now, but that would really make for an interesting fight if it were still there somehow. Any ideas on the penalties for fighint in ankle-deep mercury?[/quote']

How about ankle-deep mercury with inexplicable magical properties? Ankle-deep mercury that can animate the dead? You kill the enemy, he falls into the mercury, and after a few minutes he gets right back up and resumes his efforts to kill you -- albiet not for the same reasons!

Qin is one of the most fascinating figures in history, not to mention one of the most evil. His accomplishments still resonate after more that two thousand years, and his crimes are on the level of a Hitler or Stalin. The more I think about it, the thought of an undead Emperor Qin waking up and deciding he wants his empire back sounds like a terrific adventure thread, or even campaign theme. Imaginig what Qin would do with an army of 30 million men and a bunch of nuclear weapons is just too horribly delightful to contemplate.

Other cool Qin stuff. Originally' date=' the tombs were floored with a pool of Mercury. It's all gone now, but that would really make for an interesting fight if it were still there somehow. Any ideas on the penalties for fighint in ankle-deep mercury?[/quote']

Gah, my geek reflex got triggered. I'll think about this. In fact, I predict that tonight I'll do the Archimedes thing to see how much volume one of my feet, immersed to ankle depth, displaces. Once I have that figure I can do a real geek-out. :doi:

(Actually, what I really want to do is figure out how deep the mercury has to be so you can't stand in it ... that is, you float without touching bottom. It's not going to be very deep.)

Qin is one of the most fascinating figures in history' date=' not to mention one of the most evil. His accomplishments still resonate after more that two thousand years, and his crimes are on the level of a Hitler or Stalin. The more I think about it, the thought of an undead Emperor Qin waking up and deciding he wants his empire back sounds like a terrific adventure thread, or even campaign theme. Imaginig what Qin would do with an army of 30 million men and a bunch of nuclear weapons is just too horribly delightful to contemplate.[/quote']

That sounds like a good Champions scenario idea too. Say, Takofanes isn't looking for any Chinese representatives, is he?

And it's fascinating to learn that someone finally found the Tomb of the First Emperor.

I remember seeing a documentary on the first emporers tomb...it is said to contain an exact model of his empire and the huge pools of mercury were the rivers and seas.....suposedly it has never been excavated in part because when he died a warning was given that if he was ever disturbed they would have to deal with him....even 2000+ years later he's an object of fear.....Mercury was a big item with chinese alkemists, and it was considered to be an essential item in a imortallity serum. (european alkemists seemed to believed much the same)...sounds like theres a senario in there some where...in Champs maybe the Chinese gov decides to revive hm to battle Talofanes...Yikes! In Pulp lets say there is a weird cult or even a Triad society (the real Triads claim to be formed originally to overthrow the Manchu and bring back the Ming (native Chinese) dynasty) If not the Ming why not the Original?

Gah' date=' my geek reflex got triggered. I'll think about this. In fact, I predict that tonight I'll do the Archimedes thing to see how much volume one of my feet, immersed to ankle depth, displaces. Once I have that figure I can do a [i']real[/i] geek-out. :doi:

(Actually, what I really want to do is figure out how deep the mercury has to be so you can't stand in it ... that is, you float without touching bottom. It's not going to be very deep.)

Make sure you post your answer. That was my thought, too, but I know I'm far too lazy to work it out myself.

That sounds like a good Champions scenario idea too. Say, Takofanes isn't looking for any Chinese representatives, is he?

And it's fascinating to learn that someone finally found the Tomb of the First Emperor.

The tomb is actually a huuuuuuge series of underground chambers spanning an undetermined size. More of it is constantly being discovered and recorded. I was actually fortunate enough to meet and shake hands with one of the two farmers who first discovered it in 1974.

IMHO, it's at least as big a discovery, if not bigger, than the tomb of Tutankhamun. After all, before his tomb was found, there was argument as to whether he actually existed or was just a legend.

Keith "Qin is one of the characters in the movie "Hero"; go rent it." Curtis

I remember seeing a documentary on the first emporers tomb...it is said to contain an exact model of his empire and the huge pools of mercury were the rivers and seas.....suposedly it has never been excavated in part because when he died a warning was given that if he was ever disturbed they would have to deal with him....even 2000+ years later he's an object of fear.....

If the existence, much less location, of Qin's tomb complex is not public knowledge in the campaign, then it could add to the adventure as well. The locals might not want to deal with anything resembling an archeologist, based on a whsipered fear that even they do not comprehend -- only that there is something great and terrible in the vicintiy that must be left alone....

Mercury was a big item with chinese alkemists, and it was considered to be an essential item in a imortallity serum. (european alkemists seemed to believed much the same)...sounds like theres a senario in there some where...in Champs maybe the Chinese gov decides to revive hm to battle Talofanes...Yikes!

Bad idea for the Chinese. Comapred to Qin, Tarkofaes was a Boy Scout.... Trying to revive Qin would be like summong the ghost of Hitler.

In Pulp lets say there is a weird cult or even a Triad society (the real Triads claim to be formed originally to overthrow the Manchu and bring back the Ming (native Chinese) dynasty) If not the Ming why not the Original?

Again, bad move for the Triads. In life, Qin viewed every human being in the world as a disposable pawn to be used and discarded as he saw fit. In unlife, this trait is likely to be even worse.

Wow! Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Michael Hopcroft. I know I'm going to want to use this someday but can't immediately and don't want to forget...is there a way to bookmark a thread? I can bookmark the article, but the thread contains great feedback from other gamers as well...

The tomb is actually a huuuuuuge series of underground chambers spanning an undetermined size. More of it is constantly being discovered and recorded. I was actually fortunate enough to meet and shake hands with one of the two farmers who first discovered it in 1974.

IMHO, it's at least as big a discovery, if not bigger, than the tomb of Tutankhamun. After all, before his tomb was found, there was argument as to whether he actually existed or was just a legend.

Keith "Qin is one of the characters in the movie "Hero"; go rent it." Curtis

And he wasn't just a guy in the little jar Indy fought over in Temple of Doom.:D

If the existence' date=' much less location, of Qin's tomb complex is not public knowledge in the campaign, then it could add to the adventure as well. The locals might not want to deal with anything resembling an archeologist, based on a whsipered fear that even they do not comprehend -- only that there is something great and terrible in the vicintiy [i']that must be left alone[/i]....

Again, bad move for the Triads. In life, Qin viewed every human being in the world as a disposable pawn to be used and discarded as he saw fit. In unlife, this trait is likely to be even worse.

I agree...But...every crazed cult leader beleives that He will be able to controll the Terrable Thing ...:)

Is this the same Emperor Qin who is associated with the Chinese pyramids? I seem to remember seeing something about them associated with his tomb.

JoeG

Yeah...it was made of packed earth though, not stone I beleive...but it was bigger than any in egypt,so lets add in UFO's and pyramid power too!

And who knows if he is REALLY in that tomb ! The Chinese fleets got to all sorts of placesincluding (possibly) North America in the mid 15th century. Maybe his real resting place is somewhere else and various factions are looking for it; starting at the tomb to gather clues !

Maybe thats how his divine glory got there, Lo Pan buried him in a ill aspected location, and that caused ill fortune for his desendants, and thats why the Qin dynasty was cast down! The chinese government wants to find and rebury him in a location with good Fung Tsui so they can become the leading world power! And then a crazed cultist......pant,...pant.... :)

OK I'm better now...lets say the Real tomb is in Tibet and the clues drive the characters all around the earth looking' date=' while dodging Natzis and crazed Triad thugs...sounds like an entire champain...:)[/quote'] Certainly could be a good long series of adventures ! Lo Pan might make a good "recurring nemesis" for a group of Pulp heros too ! Please let us know how the game goes.

I have heard that the legs make up about 1/3 of a (relatively fit) person's overall body weight, and thus, about 1/3 of their overall body volume. They will actually make up a bit less than 1/3 of the volume, since they are probably denser than the body on average, what, with them being made of mostly muscle and bone, with no organs and little fat, or other low density material. but just for figuring purposes, call them 1/3 of the volume.

Now...mercury is ~13.6 times as dense as water, and water is about as dense as human flesh. So... one only needs to immerse 1/13.6th of one's body volume in mercury to float on it. And that's considerably less than the entirety of one's legs, but a bit more than just the feet. If the legs below the knee make up 1/3 of the total leg volume, then knee deep would still mean one would be displacing 13.6/9ths his body weight, and thus float. Standing on one foot would let you touch bottom, though. balance would still be difficult, I suspect.

The other thing to consider when entering a room who's floor is covered in mercury would be the toxic fumes that would come off that much exposed surface area. Worse if someone is using a flamethrower...