I Need A Teen Champions Plot!

Dust Raven

A third of the group isn't going to make it to tonight's game and the rest of us don't think they should be left out (they're absent for medical reasons), so I've been elected to run a one-shot Teen Champions adventure. However, I'm at a loss for a plot.

General campaign info: Characters are built on 150 base and 100 in disads with about 40-45 active points in primary Powers and DEF between 12-18. The style/setting is anime teen psions coping with unsympathetic school facilty, crushes on the school's karate champion, and knowledge that only they possess the power to fight the evil lurking in the halls.

The school is a normal high school appropriate in any number of anime series. The majority of the students are normals and most are unaware there is such a thing as psionics/supernatural.

Morality is generally black/white as far as telling who the heroes and villains are, though personal relationships and interactions with the school will always be in shades of gray.

There are three players: A telekinetic, an empath/mind controller and the schools karate champion (with superhuman STR & DEX).

So, what would be a good quick plot to stick in here?

Re: I Need A Teen Champions Plot!

Mutant/alien/whatever shape shifters are trying to take over the Earth. Their intelligence tells them that the Earth's youths are already disenfranchised from the adult ruling population. So the bad guys develop a plan where they move into the education process, become teachers and brainwash the Earth teenagers creating an army that their parents can't fight against. It's almost too easy!

The thing is... they’re too perfect. Each alien/mutant is that teacher that soooo many students love. For the girls he's handsome, understanding, emotional but strong and knows just what to say. All the girls are tossing themselves at him and dieing to get into his classes and extracurricular events (perhaps he's the assistant girl's volleyball coach?). For the boys... She's HOT, HOT, HOT! She wears revealing clothing, listens to the boys and asks them to stay after class where she flirts unabashedly with them.

Now, what if the school becomes sick with teachers like this. Wouldn't our heroes suspect something?

Off the top of my head... Maybe something like this would work.

The school nerd has been building a group of friends (androids) for several months now (so he has several). Something has gone wrong and they are starting to run amoke. Of course up until now everybody just though these were new students who had transfered in.

Another good solid Anime style Schtick is a basic rivalry with other students' date=' especially over something like a school competition (and this being anime they have competitions over EVERYTHING).[/quote']

I'm thinking of doing something like this. Unfortunately, one of my players just informed me that he can't play (ironically, the one who suggested the campaign). He needs to be up at 4 am. So we'll just play this some other night as it's now too late to prep for anything other than Risk.

Anyways, I've got some characters to look over. The karate champion turns out to be the school kendo champion instead. He comes complete with the Perks Fringe Benifit: Special School Privilages and Reputation: Kendo Champion (11- +1/+1d6) a Follower (his loyal lacky), DNPC Fan Club (group x4), Hunted by ex-girlfriend (who is still in love with him but he can't stand) and a romantic & professional Rivalry with another kendo stutent who wants to be champion and is in love with his ex-girlfriend. There is LOTS of potential with this character.

Since I have more time to prep, I'm still open to suggestions. I'll be back later to detail the other characters when I have them.

If all else fails, and you need a quick Teen Champions plot, just have some supervillian (ideaslistly a teen himself/herself) kidnap the most popular kid in school.

And, if you want a Dark Champions crossover, have the school invaded by a bunch of gun toating loonies. To make maters worse, theas loonies are from the goverment, and got some infomation that some kids were ploting a big school shooting spree. (And, hay, nobody says it has to be true).

This one works best if one of them has a younger sibling at the school.

An incident at the school results in the school closing being closed and the children sent home. The incident could be any number things: a gas leak, an explosion, an invasion of rats, a loss of power. Our heroes discover that the aforementioned sibling has not left so they go back to look from him/her. After sneaking into the school (possibly after getting nowhere by asking) they discover that the workmen that have come to fix the problem are not what they appear to be. Again there are multiple ideas for what could be going on: robbers reclaiming loot hidden in the school; mystics uncovering an ancient site of power; pedophiles installing cameras in the shower rooms. So it is up to the heroes to defeat the bad guys, find the lost child (who may even be elsewhere like at a friend's house) and save the day.

A street gang known as Los Lobos have been recruiting students. Last two days members of Los Lobos have been shot in drive-bys. One student who's parent is with the police department lets the PC's know a fact that the police are holding back from the press, that both Lobos were shot with silver bullets.

Are the Lobos being targeted by someone who belives they are wer-wolves? Are the Lobos wer-wolves? Are they being targeted by a rival gang, or a concerned parent who doesn't want anyone else to join? Where do you get silver bullets anyway?

Okay, here's one of the other characters (in summary):

Telepath/empath who loves to gossip (well, more listen to gossip rather than spread it herself) and is totally up on who's who on campus and a knack for music and making friends. She a bit hyperactive, melodramatic, easily distracted and has a rep for being a flaky drama queen. He powers are a suite of telepathic abilities which have extra dice when used for emotions only, plus the ability to see through the senses of others.

Oh, and a note on the setting: All powers in this universe must be psionic in nature, or else come from mundane means (skills, modern tech, etc). While a good were-wolf story sounds cool, were-wolves just aren't a possibility. A psychic version of a were-wolf might be interesting, but I don't know how I'd pull that off and maintain verisimilartude.

Monsters (were-wolves, etc...) are easy - they're all Psychic Projections of the users subconcious (Freud's ID). With or without their consent or control. You could base an entire story around someone's Psychic Projection wreaking havoc while they lay unconcious somewhere on campus.

If you allow this I would say any person who can project their inner psyche have a "good" and "evil" monster, or the possibility of them both. One may or may not be in more control, the other may be dormant or both fighting for control of the Concious mind.

Monsters (were-wolves, etc...) are easy - they're all Psychic Projections of the users subconcious (Freud's ID). With or without their consent or control. You could base an entire story around someone's Psychic Projection wreaking havoc while they lay unconcious somewhere on campus.

If you allow this I would say any person who can project their inner psyche have a "good" and "evil" monster, or the possibility of them both. One may or may not be in more control, the other may be dormant or both fighting for control of the Concious mind.

Intrieging.

I'd want to come up with some reason why silver acts as some kind of poison to the psychic projections. Perhaps silver is a natural psionic grounder of sorts. I know that silver is used a lot in New Agey practices in relation to psychic powers and awareness. Maybe silver would interact with the projection in a way that forces it back into the subconscious mind. Or for a more permanent destruction of the "creature", silver could force the subconscious mind to awaken temporarily, destroying the idea of the monster and thus destroying it entirely. Or else silver can only disrupt the monster, and the heroes must locate the source and destroy it there, or else the monster keeps returning.

Another question would be how such a monster comes to be. I'm thinking it can't just be a normal psychic power. I like the idea of keeping with traditional mythology and making such monsters a sickness of some kind. In this case, it's a sickness of the mind that affects psions, forcing their mind to manifest a physical moster. Some may embrace the illness and treat it as a blessing and learn to control the monster. Others may cope with it, learning to control the monster, but always in danger of losing control (those that embrace the monster are perpetually out of control, as they let the monster do as it wishes; they only give it direction/goals that work with its inherently evil nature).

How would this sickness be transmitted? Well, just like in the traditional mythology I'd think. The monster bites someone, the bite represents an intimate and violent interaction with the victim's mind, corrupting it. If the mind is a psion (latent or not), it begines to manifest it's own monster. If the victim is not a psion, the bite is likely to simply drive them insane or perhaps kill them from fright.

Well, sounds like I have a bad guy for my plot. I think i'll go with an evil psion who knows what he's doing, and a couple of victims that act as symptoms of the larger problem.

Questions: Does this sould like it would work? And how would I write up were-wolf monsters as described?

I would write them up normally probably - though all their attacks could be BOECV to represent infecting/attacking the mind .. perhaps a very strong mind could create a projection that could affect the real world - but that power wouldn't be able to transmit the Psychosis.

As for what mental diseases are ther to trip this?

Dementia, Manic-Depression, Schizophrenia, simple Stress... pick one.

And the base characters Psionic power is a simple Summon probably, possibly Duplication but I don't think I'd go that route. A house rule could simply be that while a Summoned ID Projection is out the "host"/Summoner is unconcious or barely concious.

As for what mental diseases are ther to trip this?

Dementia, Manic-Depression, Schizophrenia, simple Stress... pick one.

I'd go with Stress. Specifically, stress related to puberty. This is supposedly associated with Poltergeist phenomena, which in turn, seem related to the kind of stuff we are talking about here.

And it's just right for a Teen Champions game, natch.

There are two basic "challenge" plotlines.

One: a PC is challenged by a rival to a competition involving something they're both very good at.

Two: Circumstances compel the PC to get involved in some sort of competition they clearly suck at.

Hillarity ensues.

(bonus points if either scenario involves PC(s) cross-dressing)

If all else fails, and you need a quick Teen Champions plot, just have some supervillian (ideaslistly a teen himself/herself) kidnap the most popular kid in school.

And, if you want a Dark Champions crossover, have the school invaded by a bunch of gun toating loonies. To make maters worse, theas loonies are from the goverment, and got some infomation that some kids were ploting a big school shooting spree. (And, hay, nobody says it has to be true).

Or a bunch of gun carrying loonies take over the "private academy" thinking use the sons and daughters of the "Rich and powerful" to force the government to give in to their demands. The catch would be that they don't know that the students are supers and with all the media coverage the super-teens can't just act. Secret ID's and such.......

I'd want to come up with some reason why silver acts as some kind of poison to the psychic projections.

Maybe it doesn't. Maybe the leader of Los Lobos is capible of projecting mental illusions into the gang members minds, making them think they are wolves and act like wolves (like the real-word version of lycanthropy). Maybe he is also able to psionically heal any injuries they suffer through the night, convincing them of their invulnerability.

Now someone (rival gang? parent of a member? older sib of someone they are trying to recruit?) sees them running around howling at the moon, and somehow gets silver bullets. Not as lethal as soft points, but almost as good as full jacketed bullets of the same caliber. Nothing special about the bullets, but more body than the gang leader can heal.