Flagsuit Naming Help

winterhawk

So being unemployed and bored, I decided to mess around with the random power generator from the Champions sourcebook and the random origin generator from the now defunct ezhero. Rather than just do totally random characters, I decided to work up a team of characters representing each of the published archetypes combined with the Patriot subcategory. I decided that these guys would be the DOSPA field team: Superhuman/Paranormal Investigative, Rescue and Interdiction Team... or SPIRIT.

Here's what I've got so far:

Flagstone (Patriot Brick): Thing-like Brick, 'natch.

Lady Eagle (Patriot EB): Eagle hybrid beastwoman rescued from Dr. Moreau with sonic scream.

Red Rocket (Patriot Speedster): "...rocket's red glare..."

Burst (Patriot PA - EB) "...bombs bursting in air..."

Here's what I need help with:

Patriot MA: Not as easy as it sounds...origin is "Ancient Martial Tradition taught by family"...also no MA style yet...and want to stay away from Boxing.

Patriot Mentalist: Precog power set with some nifty additions from USPDB...not a true Mentalist...standard mutant background.

Patriot Metamorph: Bendy Toy power set with background "Bitten by radioactive snake"...so I'm thinking VIPER mutate (now that COIL is gone :( )...anyone for "Don't Tread on Me"

Patriot Mystic: Mystic Master power set with "Possessed by Another Spellcaster" background.

So I'm looking for patriotic names that reflect thier powers...as always thanks to the learned panel in advance.

Re: Flagsuit Naming Help

Originally posted by winterhawk

Patriot MA: Not as easy as it sounds...origin is "Ancient Martial Tradition taught by family"...also no MA style yet...and want to stay away from Boxing.

Fist of Freedom

Patriot Mentalist: Precog power set with some nifty additions from USPDB...not a true Mentalist...standard mutant background.

The Sentinel

Patriot Metamorph: Bendy Toy power set with background "Bitten by radioactive snake"...so I'm thinking VIPER mutate (now that COIL is gone :( )...anyone for "Don't Tread on Me"

I'm stumped

Patriot Mystic: Mystic Master power set with "Possessed by Another Spellcaster" background.

The Spirit of '76

The Spirit of Freedom

Patriot MA:

Hmmmm, while 'ancient' it might or might not be, depending on your definition, why not a descendent of Laffyette who learned either Savate or French style Fencing?

The name might be tricky if you still want it American, but perhaps "Ally" might do. Naturally, with the hard feelings between the French and US govts right now, I don't envy the hero.

Patriot Mentalist: Precog

One of my favorite names for a precog might fit here, "Visionary".

Patriot Metamorph: Bendy Toy power set with background "Bitten by radioactive snake"...so I'm thinking VIPER mutate (now that COIL is gone :( )...anyone for "Don't Tread on Me

In that vein of justice for wrongs being sought...

"Downtrodden"

"Retribution"

Or just pick an American breed of snake and call him that ;)

Patriot Mystic

"American Anthame" :)

(Or however you spell that word for the knife)

Patriot MA:

I think the MA style needs to be decided before you finalise this. Have you considered the Cinematic Brawling art and just say it's an ancient self-defence technique? I'm picking up that this would be too hokey for you.

How about a Native American wrestler? I'd go for "Something" Eagle, but you already have that covered (unless you change her to "LIberty Bell", for the sonic powers and yes, I am aware of the DC character with a similar name).

What about a Cajun Savateur or Savatuese? ("They called me a tricky swamp fox, so a Swamp Fox I became" - apologies if I've misquoted). Plenty of scope for stealth-based powers and might be an interesting contrast from more clean-cut heroes.

However, are you going for a REALLY stereotypical Patriot? Perhaps he's a soldier from a long line of military men (Commando Training), called Major Freedom. It's his family's particularly effective fighting art and you can work in moves using bayonets, clubs, knives and swords to reflect that this is a true soldier's art. You could give him ranged MAs too ("The Second" ie Second Amendment and if you weaken and give him boxing, there's a double meaning).

Patriot Mentalist:

I like Briguy123's "The Sentinel". USPDB hasn't reached here yet, so I don't know what you have in mind (but maybe The Sentinel does...)

Patriot Metamorph:

If he's stretchy how about "Banner" (star-spangled or otherwise)? "Tickertape" is less overtly patriotic and might not suit. I'm not sure about snake-based names, they're difficult to make heroic, let alone patriotic, so I've not gone down that route.

Patriot Mystic:

I'm not sure I can top Briguy123 for this one. Keeping with the National Anthem and a slightly kitsch feel, "Dr. Twilight" (he of the last gleaming).

He's bendy. If he's also a wiseguy like Plastic Man, you could go with...

PLYMOUTH

(get it? PLY-able, and he likes to MOUTH off... ... anyone? anyone? aw, forget it!)

-Yogzilla

Great suggestions so far...

Briguy123: Good suggestions...only problem is that I've used most of them in my 4th campaign...the 'Captain America' of that campaign was called Freedom Fist. I kinda like Sentinel for the precog.

Hermit: Good suggestions as always...really like Visionary...a savatuer didn't cross my mind

Crimson Arrow: again savate...but the 'old soldier' style martial art is a cool idea too...does anyone know if the "Don't Tread On Me" Flag had a knickname ala Union Jack, Stars & Bars, etc?...I'm totally digging the Twilight angle!

Tribble: Yes, American styled patriots please.

Yogzilla: Funny you should mention...Plymouth Rock was a Golden Ager in my 4th campaign and sort of the basis for Flagstone.

Keep 'em coming and thanks!

Afraid I don't have suggestions for all of them yet, but I'll offer what comes to mind: for your precog mentalist, either word from "Manifest Destiny" would apply as a name.

If you want to go with a soldiering tradition for your MA, I'd suggest the Marine Corps motto, "Semper Fi." As for a family Martial Art, you could make him a descendant of Greek immigrants and a master of pankration; martial arts don't get any more ancient than that. If he's Greek he might even have inherited a little of the blood of an ancient demigod.

I'll try to dredge up something more to contribute. :)

Patriot Martial Artist: This is a toughy. I've been trying to think of slang names related to soldiers in the revoutionary war. Minuteman is as close as I get. I was hoping for something kind of like "Johnny Reb" from the Civil war.

Patriot Metamorph: Revolution, Revolutionary,

Patriot Mystic: American Spirit

Are any of these female? For my own use I've been hanging onto "Liberty Belle" but haven't had a place to use it yet.

So Far...

Ok, since there was a character building excercize for me Iwas trying to stick with the random results, but the suggestions are too good to ignore...

Patriot MA is now the snake guy...Jack Gadsden aka Rattler (the snake on the "Don't Tread on Me" flag).

Going to go with Derek's suggestion for the Patriot Metamorph and calling him Everyman.

I like the Twilight idea...Mr. Twilight, Citizen Twilight? since Dr. Twilight is taken...suggestions?

Still stuck on the Precog...I like Sentinel and Visionary...also like Lord L's Manifest Destiny suggestion, although it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Also came up with a Patriot Weaponmaster with the Trick Ammo power set...a bow and arrow guy is too easy for this...any suggestions?

Well, if you've decided the Martial Artist won't be the descendant of a 442nd RCT super, I'll do a quick rework of the character concept I've mulled over the course of the day to better fit your weapon-master concept.

Major Jane Okimoto aka Yonsei, granddaughter of retired WWII hero Staff Sergeant Albert Okimoto aka Nisei aka Amerika-no-Fundo, and daughter of Lieutenant Clay Okimoto aka Sansei, killed in action against the North Vietnamese hero Tet Tiger. Brought up by her widowed mother and her grandparents, Jane was immersed in war stories, imported Japanese traditions, and pride in the US. As a child, her grandfather taught her as much Jiujitsu as his age and old war wounds would permit, and upon graduating high school (as valedictorian...her mother and grandparents would allow no slacking academically) she was admitted to the US Military Academy at West Point. Since then, she has received extensive training in intelligence work and weapons.

Her family's legacy of service to the nation has opened many doors for Major Okimoto, which has only caused her to push herself harder, so that she won't feel that she's getting a free ride. A formidable hand-to-hand opponent, she has never reached the level of expertise her grandfather had in his glory days, however, she makes up for this with her marksmanship. Major Okimoto is an accomplished sniper and has qualified as an expert in every infantry weapon used by the US Army. Due to her personal accomplishments as well as her family legacy, the Department of Defense has granted her an exception to policies excluding women from certain duties, and she hopes that her example will result in an end to these policies altogether. She has completed Airborne training, Special Forces training, Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape (SERE) training, and Army SCUBA training. She speaks fluent Japanese, Russian, and Arabic, and a little Chinese, Farsi, and Serbian. She is an accomplished interrogator, intelligence analyst, and electronic warfare operator.

As a member of the SPIRIT team, Yonsei has access to all weapons and equipment in use by the US military, including experimental prototypes and specialized and nonlethal ammunition. She wears a US Army uniform, with a stylized fist (her grandfather's symbol as Amerika-no-Fundo) with a kanji number 4 superimposed on it as her unit insignia.

Just a little something I came up with today between things-that-required-attention.....

I have a character simular to this in my Campaign. His codename is American Dreamer but everyone just calls him Dreamer. He was an older african-american character who took part in the Civil Rights Movement. His precog abilities first manifested themselves soon after Martin Luther King's "I have a Dream" speech which truly inspired Dreamer. He uses his abilities to help brings Dr King's vision to fruition (and to stop many very bad alternative visions). He is more a philosopher/father figure than your standard Gung Ho flagsuit.

Being British, I entirely missed the significance of "Don't Tread on Me"! Interesting story though.

since Dr. Twilight is taken

It is? Sorry about that. Professor Twilight sounds too long. Why not just Twilight? It sounds more of a heroine than a hero. As you've swapped some of the other heroes around, would you mind changing the mystic's gender? Could be Twilight Girl, or Ms. Twilight, but just plain "Twilight" sounds good to me. If you didn't have "Lady Eagle", I'd suggest "Lady Twilight".

For the Precog, how about some variant on Mist (as in "dimly seen through the mists of the deep")? There is already the Mist and, I think, Dr. Mist, but how about The Myst (bit confusing if you have an actual mystic, perhaps)? Deep Mist doesn't sound quite right to me (more like a deoderant fragrance).

Leaving that track, how about Foresight? I note that you're not going for blindingly obvious patriotism in all of the names.

As for your Weaponmaster, go for trick bullets. Perhaps my earlier suggestion of "The Second" makes more sense for him.

Other names such as "The Shootist", "The Rifleman", "The Pistolero" etc. might depend upon which weapon you choose for the character.

Capt. O: Man, I'd love to see what you could come up with when you'd put your mind to it rather than just "between-things-that-require-attention"...great write-up...this needs to be used.

Crusader: *DING* *DING* *DING* We have a winner! I really like that concept, especially since the Precog was going to be the leader.

Arrow: Just Twilight...like the sound of it...and the team could use another female. I like the trick bullets too.

Tribble: Good suggestion..."Arsenal of Democracy" was a popular catchphrase in WWII American propaganda films.

A female gun toting nisei...that has a nice Frank Miller ring to it...