Most Powerful Member of the FF?

Trained Chicken

Including technology and inventions, who is the most powerful member of the Fantastic Four? It's kind of a loaded question since teamwork is their greatest asset, but please let us know who you'd bet on in a fight.

If you wish, you can talk about a member other than the four originals- God knows they've had enough incarnations over the years.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Most Powerful Member of the FF?

It would have to be Sue these days. Even with his technology, Reed is a little too untrained as a fighter. Ben's beaten the crap out of him a couple times. Granted, Reed didn't want to fight, but the fact that Ben could damage his rubbery body that much says a lot...especially since Ben does the least damage of the other three. Johnny's nova flame is the single biggest attack, and would fry Reed or Ben, but not, Sue. Her damage isn't quite as high, but it's pretty devastating currently. She trumps Johnny with the airtight forcefield: he's screwed. A force bubble likewise screws Reed's day pretty bad, and keeps him from reaching his vaunted technology. The force bubble doesn't work vs. Ben, though. He can really hurt her by pounding on the force fields for a long time. Even in an airtight one, he'll have enough time to wear her down. But she doesn't need the bubble anymore against him. Unlike Reed and Johnny, Ben dropped from a great height will get hurt. Not tremendously hurt, but enough that if it happens thirty or forty times, he belongs to the screwed category. Sue's only limitation is endurance, which has greatly increased over the years. Ben is the only one that could outmatch her endurance, but he has the classic brick problems of being groundbound without a ranged attack or enhanced senses. And Sue is smart enough to exploit those weaknesses.

Franklin! heh.. I can feel that hate emenating from the screen already ;)

More seriously, with the right tech/prep time, Mr. Fantastic can take any of them.

Otherwise Sue all the way. Infact, Sue could probably take on all three of the guys at once. 'Course, Ben pounding on the Force Fields with everything he's got while Johnny goes Nova will probably give her a hell of headache...

Depends on who's writing I guess.

Sue's been pretty much declared by Marvel simply because her defenses are the highest and she has "Special" attacks (strangulation, etc)

Johnny Can put some serious heat out but That's said, unless he was seriously trying to crisp his sister AND he was in the same "Hex" when he nova'd she'd probably be able to take it. And he'd more or less be done.

Reed is one of the Smartest men on the planet and has been leading the team for ever. His combat style is pretty straight foreward however, unless he's prepared for his team in advance he's going to have some trouble with Sue and Johnny.

Though he is my farvorite; Ben Grimm, unless you use his most powerful "Spikey" form (and probably even then), he's not going to give Johnny or Sue much of a fight. Reed maybe. Ben's best bet is that Johnny undersestimates Ben's ability to hurl things at him (not likely). I just can't see Reed or Sue underestimating Ben's intelligence or experience, Johnny maybe but he and Sue can pick Ben apart from range.

Each of them have stood toe-to-toe with Doom for short eriods' date=' so they've each got a heck of a lot of power in their own ways. My suggestion is it's Reed, since he's the most resourceful. If not Reed, then it's Sue. But I'd put my money down on Reed.[/quote']

This all comes down to the ubiquitous question of preparation. If they're fighting in the Baxter Building (sorry, Four Freedoms Plaza) then Reed gains a huge advantage. Even if they're not, if Reed knows he's fighting the others, he gets more points for prep than any of the others. And you did originally state that tech is included, so we have to give him points for being prepared. In that case, he stands the best chance of trumping Sue because her power is energy manipulation, which his gadgets can handle fairly well if necessary. In that case, Johnny has the worst odds (HQ has emergency anti-fire devices already in place), then Sue, then Ben (who is most gadget resistant). Still not a slam dunk for Reed, though.

Really, the FF are such a wonderful paper-rock-scissors kind of combination that details like battleground, prep, and surprise will have more impact than most of the other fights we've seen stipulated. Thoughts on battlegrounds:

BG 1) Inside the HQ (I still keep calling it the Baxter Building, even though I know it hasn't been that for decades.) Best for Reed, followed by Ben. Worst for Johnny with no room to move.

BG 2) The rooftops/sky. Best for Johnny (obviously, as the only true aerialist in the group), followed by Sue. Worst for Ben with no range.

BG 3) The streets and alleys below. Best for Ben (someplace that can keep the fight somewhat confined, plus give lots of potential material for throwing) followed by Reed. Worst for Sue who works best with long line of sight, and without the maneuverability of Reed or Johnny.

BG 4) The Brooklyn Bridge (or any large bridge). Best for Sue (as a partially open space) followed by Reed. Johnny is third only because of the abundance of water that the force field telekinetic has available. Similarly to the rooftops, worst for groundbound Ben.

or, it could be BG 5) The Arena. Wide open space means favor for Johnny and his aoe attacks. Then Sue. Then Ben or Reed, depending upon how big the space is. The bigger, the worse for Ben.

As far as prep goes, we have to assume that this is (somehow) a no-holds barred fight, no one is holding back and no "trying to talk their friend back from the edge of insanity" thing happening here. In that case, Reed is the scariest (as the most unpredictable and smartest) followed by Sue (the surprise factor ALWAYS in her favor) then Ben (he has beaten the team under mind control before, because when he doesn't hold back he's more powerful than anybody imagined) and Johnny (Two words: nova flame.) as the two most savagely dangerous.

Wow, I'm writing a lot here. You seem to have found a real positive button for me :D

ANY FF meber you say?

Okay then I choose the Brute...the Reed Richards of counter earth. He's as strong as the Hulk and has a Hulk-like temper combined with Reed's intellect. He was a member briefly when he infiltrated and replaced Reed. He should be one of the premiere villains of the MU but no one, so far, has used him to his potential.

If not the Brute, then I'd go with the real Reed but I can't help but think that Reed would pull his punches. With his tech he could probably cobble something together to dismantle Sue's force field in a few phases but Reed seems to always hold back for some reason. Maybe somewhere in that great mind, Reed is frightened of discovering his full potential. I mean, i think he's the coolest of all the stretchy characters but he does seem to make the least of his powers a lot of the time.

If Reed were agressive and not holding back (yeah, right, as if) I'd give it to Reed. Otherwise it's all Sue with ben ranking third and Johnny last.

Now, however, if Franklin has his powers and he sees anyone hurting mommy it's game over for them.

Vigil

ANY FF meber you say?

Okay then I choose the Brute...the Reed Richards of counter earth. He's as strong as the Hulk and has a Hulk-like temper combined with Reed's intellect. He was a member briefly when he infiltrated and replaced Reed. He should be one of the premiere villains of the MU but no one, so far, has used him to his potential.

I call foul! The Brute hardly qualifies as a team member. It is an interesting thought, though. (And I did consider him and a few of the 'What If?' FFs as well :D) The Brute would be an intriguing factor to add to the equation. I don't think he's a definite win, though. After all, the versatile adaptability diminishes with the temper.

Now, however, if Franklin has his powers and he sees anyone hurting mommy it's game over for them.

No fair bringing Franklin in either! :nya:

I too enjoyed the days that She-Hulk was on the team.

But, I'm a huge Marvel Two-In-One fan so I have to say I'd rather have Ben Grimm by my side in a fight. He's the type that'll keep fighting as long as he has a breath in him. Plus, the guy threw some awesome poker games!

Sue has by far the most raw power.

Reed, given time, can build weaponry and devices that could take any or all of the others out. He could probably be prancing around in stretchy Iron Man style armor if he felt like it.

Ben almost never gets power ups.

Johnny trumps all other fire characters, but both Reed and Sue out match him.

My take is, Reed doesn't need prep time to take advantage- that's one of the perks of having a big brain. Think back to FF #350 and 352 (the ultimate Doom story IMO) where Reed is handed a time machine, and promptly goes back in time to cut himself out of the deathtrap Doom set for him in the first place! He was also able to access Doom's armory and improve some gadgets in mere moments. So while placement may matter, prep time does not. Another point for Reed.

Guest daeudi_454

May the blood of Reed Richards run in the streets.

Sue is the most powerful. Fantastic Four Vol#3 Iss 507

Last page, (an alternate reality*) Doom is possesing the body of miss transparency.

Doom: "You know... I always said Susan was more powerful than the three of you put together."

* Argue all you want. That was the Dr Doo from the Unthinkable series. And that imposter did things that the real Doom would never do.

Guest daeudi_454

I would hope Sue could defeat a guy named "Doctor Doo".

"And that imposter did things that the real Doom would never do."

Yeah- I know what I typed... note that I'm not correcting it either

But she didn't defeat him. He possesed Ben, and forced Reed to kill him to prevent him from slowly killing Johnny. (this killed both "Doom" and Ben, but Reed brought Ben back from the dead.)

While I despise Unthinkable, and Authoritative Action... I will say that for once, Reed actually acted like a man instead of the spineless rubber toy that he has been for 40 years.

Under most circumstances these days, I'd have to give it to Sue. Even apart from how far the strength & endurance of her force fields have come over the years (not to mention the degree of skill she's accumulated in shaping them and using them), she can become invisible. That gives her a real edge in a fight with any of them (except possibly Reed, who could probably come up with a gadget to pinpoint her location even while she'd invisible...if he has the time to prepare!)

With foreknowledge and prep time, though, I'd give it to Reed, simply because he could dig out / build / set-up a device or series of devices, gadgets, what-have-you that would be specifically geared to taking each of them out.

Reed knows each of them inside and out, and can certainly "rubber science" them out of the picture. He would conceivably already have contingency plans for such an occurance that he could set into effect at a moments notice.

But really, like all things comic booky it boils down to how much of an idiot the current writer is, whoever that may be / have been when such an event were written. As a general rule of thumb which ever character is most popular will win, only being trumped by which ever character the writer keeps as a pet.