Fantasy HERO page count?

hybris

Is there any information on what the approximate page count of Fantasy Hero will be? :)

Alas, the catalog on the main page seems to list this only for books due in 2004, but not for books that aren't as far away, like Fantasy Hero.

Hopefully it will be over 300 pages, like Star Hero. :D

Re: Fantasy HERO page count?

Originally posted by hybris

Is there any information on what the approximate page count of Fantasy Hero will be? :)

Alas, the catalog on the main page seems to list this only for books due in 2004, but not for books that aren't as far away, like Fantasy Hero.

Hopefully it will be over 300 pages, like Star Hero. :D

It'll probably be even bigger than Star HERO. I'd also be interested in knowing who is doing the cover for Fantasy HERO.

Originally posted by Steve Long

At present it appears that it will be longer than Star Hero. The text is already longer, and I haven't finished writing yet.

Storn's doing the cover.

Whoooo hooooo! Yippee! That is music to my ears. I have been waiting for a very long time (okay, since DOJ took over HERO) to hear such good news.

Whoa, that is so cool. I want it now! I've been waiting for this book for 10+ years. Sign me up for 5 copies.

Tim

At present it appears that it will be longer than Star Hero. The text is already longer, and I haven't finished writing yet.

Storn's doing the cover.

As a quick update...

I finished the first draft of FH today after many long weeks of work. Huzzah! Now I have to read back through and edit/revise/supplement as necessary.

Right now it adds up to 299,760 words -- making it longer than the 5E manuscript by about 1,000 words, and also making it the longest single book I've ever written. However, I don't necessarily think it'll be quite as many pages as 5E, since Andy gets a little cleverer with layout every book we do and will probably work his usual miracles of space-saving.

More as circumstances warrant....

Right now it adds up to 299,760 words -- making it longer than the 5E manuscript by about 1,000 words, and also making it the longest single book I've ever written.

Surely you can get another 240 words in there? Some of us really like round numbers. :)

As a quick update...

I finished the first draft of FH today after many long weeks of work. Huzzah! Now I have to read back through and edit/revise/supplement as necessary.

Right now it adds up to 299,760 words -- making it longer than the 5E manuscript by about 1,000 words, and also making it the longest single book I've ever written. However, I don't necessarily think it'll be quite as many pages as 5E, since Andy gets a little cleverer with layout every book we do and will probably work his usual miracles of space-saving.

More as circumstances warrant....

So it still is on track for July then?

Yes, right now it's still on track for a GenCon release. It really depends mostly on Andy and Allen, since from this point the hard work -- laying it all out and getting it ready to go to the printer by late June -- falls on their shoulders. But even if they get everything done in time, wackiness might ensue at the printer, the shipper, or the like. As usual, we make no promises until we can definitely say that "the printer has shipped the book." :)

Yes, right now it's still on track for a GenCon release. It really depends mostly on Andy and Allen, since from this point the hard work -- laying it all out and getting it ready to go to the printer by late June -- falls on their shoulders. But even if they get everything done in time, wackiness might ensue at the printer, the shipper, or the like. As usual, we make no promises until we can definitely say that "the printer has shipped the book." :)

Cool, and even though it will apparently be much larger than expected is it still going to be only $25?

It was never going to be $25. The standard price on our genre books has been $29.99. This one will be the same unless we have time to change it, in which case it will probably be $31.99. However, at this point I think it's already been solicited at the $29.99 price, and resoliciting it's not worthwhile.

Originally posted by Mike Basinger

GoO made have different have rules for playtesting, may allow it only in house.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking too. You never know though, time is short. Gen Con is only like 9 weeks away and the companies might not have time to do it in-house if they want to have it for sale at GC.

Wimples

Hi Steve,

From all that I have been hearing, I'm really excited about Fantasy Hero. I'm sure it's going to be excellent -- easily the best RPG product I will have the pleasure of purchasing this year.

I was wondering if Fantasy Hero will have "wimple" in the equipment list.

Thanks,

Jody Butt

The playtest will start when I'm ready for it to start. Not sure when that will be, but due to the tightness of the schedule the playtesters aren't likely to have much time with it. Given the schedule, I'm not sure how much time we'll have to playtest CB either, but at least it's comparatively short and thus quick to read. I have no intention of playtesting RS, since the editorial job there falls to GOO and I'll let them handle that as they see fit.

Sorry, no wimple.