Marvel's Best Martial Artists

Enforcer84

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Marvel's Best Martial Artists

Yeah. Boomerang once gave Iron Fist a harder time at this, but that was largely because it's much harder to Missile Deflect things that detonate on contact, or magnetically attach your hand to them and kick in a jet thruster that sends it back up a couple hundred feet and then drags you on a mid-air tour of Greater New York.

Would you put Dr. Strange in the top 10 or 25 of martial artists? And he got a hit on Mantis who you put in as #1? And Mantis proves ineffectual in how many stories?

I wouldn't put Strange in the top 10. Not sure about the top 25. Not sure how many stories Mantis proves ineffectual in, but she did one punch Thor. Much of the ineffectual stuff I believe is a plot device. So in the Defenders comic where Strange hit Mantis, it more to show that Strange is trained in Martial Arts rather than he is on par with Mantis.

I wouldn't put Strange in the top 10. Not sure about the top 25. Not sure how many stories Mantis proves ineffectual in' date=' but she did one punch Thor. Much of the ineffectual stuff I believe is a plot device. So in the Defenders comic where Strange hit Mantis, it more to show that Strange is trained in Martial Arts rather than he is on par with Mantis.[/quote'] See, I'd turn that around. Much of the effectual stuff is a plot device. Mantis just plain sucked.

Well, throwing things at Iron Fist is usually a complete waste of time...

From POWER MAN & IRON FIST #50:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3839/grsp30co.jpg

I'd say Bullseye is higher on the food chain than those jobbers.

I love PM&IF and, if that's the only reference, Iron Fist doesn't match up with Cap. If he's had a power up since Marvel Discontinuity (the 1990s) started - I wouldn't likely know nor care.

So Enforcer84, if you're listening - my ranking was based on my bias toward the Silver and Bronze Age and my bias against Frank Miller.

I'd say Bullseye is higher on the food chain than those jobbers.

I love PM&IF and, if that's the only reference, Iron Fist doesn't match up with Cap. If he's had a power up since Marvel Discontinuity (the 1990s) started - I wouldn't likely know nor care.

So Enforcer84, if you're listening - my ranking was based on my bias toward the Silver and Bronze Age and my bias against Frank Miller.

So noted. :D

Ummm' date=' actually, the recent MARVEL KNIGHTS run by Chuck Dixon had Shang pulling off a Cassandra Cain-style Matrix-time bullet sidestep (again in clear stop-motion), so he'd be DQ'ed too.[/quote'] I don't want to know this. It might infect my mind and distract me from all the goodness that was The Master of Kung Fu.

See' date=' I'd turn that around. Much of the effectual stuff is a plot device. Mantis just plain sucked.[/quote']

I agree with that. Many of the characters have done things they normally shouldn't be able to.

Deciding which feats are the accurate ones and which are the inaccurate ones seems to be the problem.

OK- First off if we're going to have people like Captain America (superpowered! Super soldier serume) then we should have Spider-man. Spidey could whoop the Captain any day of the week. (He's basically military trained- all martial' date=' no art[/b']- same with Fury and Punisher)

Going for characters who rely on skill rather than Strength/Powers, heres my list.

I have to wonder if you've studied martial arts when you make this statement. I fail to see the distinction you are trying to make.

1) Shang-Chi

2) Doctor Strange, Iron Fist

3) Captain America/Black Panther

5) Daredevil, Captain America Clones

6) Mandarin

7) Moon Knight

8) Black Widow

9) Elektra

10) Silver Sable

I'd stick Shang-Chi up there, though based on the comics, he's technically a Pulp Hero character rather than a super-martial-artist. Doctor Strange is allegedly one of the best martial artists in the world, but he uses his magic a lot. Iron Fist beat the X-men once, and Wolverine supposedly beat Shang-Chi... but I'm ignoring those...

Well' date=' Mantis was a Saigon bar girl, so I suspect she did at that. :eg: However, I liked Mantis and believe she was a better martial arts than anyone else in the Marvel Universe.[/quote']

Mantis is an example of a high Find Weakness roll, thus she can one hit thor on a good day

Cap is on the list because depending on who is writing the SSS only raises him to the physical level of the others (Other writers have made him better than that)