All-New Iron Age Zoo Crew?

FenrisUlf

Say, am I nuts, or has DC started showing the Zoo Crew in their new Teen Titans comic? Does anyone think that DC might bring the Crew back? (\It seems very unlikely to me, but considering some of the other stuff they've done recently...

I also seem to remember being told that the Crew has been 'Iron'd up'. I'm not sure I want to know what that means. What, they didn't turn half the team into grim and gritty vigilantes and the rest into broken-down drunks, did they? ;)

Sorry, but that was the most ridiculous thing I could think of.

Re: All-New Iron Age Zoo Crew?

I haven't read the actual issue' date=' but my understanding is that they Iron Age'd the Zoo Crew by having Alley Cat Abra kill Little Cheese. Why I do not know. [/quote']

Well, he did use his powers to play "Peeping Tom" at her expense. Maybe she finally got fed up?

I liked Captain Carrot's series too. What they did in the two recent issues of Teen Titans was to run it as a parallelism to what is going on in Infinite Crisis, ie. to show how darkness has corrupted everything in comics over the past decade or so. Even the funny-animal hijinks of CC and the Crew were turned into dark, heavy themes. I saw it more as a commentary of how bad comics have gotten of late (as opposed to a joke).

I liked Captain Carrot's series too. What they did in the two recent issues of Teen Titans was to run it as a parallelism to what is going on in Infinite Crisis' date=' ie. to show how darkness has corrupted everything in comics over the past decade or so. Even the funny-animal hijinks of CC and the Crew were turned into dark, heavy themes. I saw it more as a commentary of how bad comics have gotten of late (as opposed to a joke).[/quote']

Yup, that is how I saw it. At the very least it was a parallel between Captain Carrot and Superboy, both in their self-inflicted retirement. It was also a bit of a parody of the Identity Crisis last year. It did have other layers, and the final line of Abra-Cat-Dabra, "Because I'm a cat, I hate mice," shows how lame some writers can go for justification.

Frothing at the mouth about it is silly.

Yup, that is how I saw it. At the very least it was a parallel between Captain Carrot and Superboy, both in their self-inflicted retirement. It was also a bit of a parody of the Identity Crisis last year. It did have other layers, and the final line of Abra-Cat-Dabra, "Because I'm a cat, I hate mice," shows how lame some writers can go for justification.

Frothing at the mouth about it is silly.

:stunned: But wait, isn't the whole idea at DC & Marvel that "grim and gruesome is what the public wants"? I'm rather surprised they'd have the sense of humor to mock their own pretense like this. I thought they were taking themselves waaaay too seriously to allow humor in funny-books anymore.

Wasn't he the artists for the book?

As I recall.

And wasn't there a character named 'Farah Foxette' who both Rubberduck and Fastback kept fighting over, in spite of the fact that she wanted nothing to do with either of them?

I also remember "Bow-zar the Barbarian", or was he a Marvel funny animal?

:stunned: But wait' date=' isn't the whole idea at DC & Marvel that "grim and gruesome is what the public wants"? I'm rather surprised they'd have the sense of humor to mock their own pretense like this. I thought they were taking themselves waaaay too seriously to allow humor in funny-books anymore.[/quote']

I was wondering about this myself in the context of Infinite Crisis. These are the same writers and editors who brought us whiny, *****y, unheroic heroes, torture of sidekicks, unpunished crippling of heroines, crap writing, worse art, etc, etc. These guys don't know anything about what makes a comic book worth reading. I have no faith at all in their ability to turn around and start producing superhero books worth reading.

I was wondering about this myself in the context of Infinite Crisis. These are the same writers and editors who brought us whiny' date=' *****y, unheroic heroes, torture of sidekicks, unpunished crippling of heroines, crap writing, worse art, etc, etc. These guys don't know anything about what makes a comic book worth reading. I have no faith at all in their ability to turn around and start producing superhero books worth reading.[/quote']

That's an awful big brush you've got there. The specific writer responsible for this Zoo Crew story is Geoff Johns. Now I think the general consensus on this guy is his heroes are heroic, I've never sen him torture a sidekick or cripple anyone.

I think its very brave that DC has recognized that they may have gone too far in an effort to add emotional weight and resonance to their characters and are willing to comment on it in their comic books. I mean, how often have we seen a comic book company say, "Oops, got a little carried away there, let's try something different." And it looks like that's the direction DC is going. Usually, they just pretend it never happened, sweep it under the rug and deny there was anything wrong at all.

They're making a big effort to enhance continuity by putting their top gun writers in charge of their creative direction and I think they've earned at least the benefit of the doubt by recognizing that things could be better and implementing new creative policies.

Now I was very disappointed with Geoff around this time last year. I dropped all his books, but he's since made a big comeback with his Infinite Crisis series and I'm back in his corner. I like what DC is doing right now. I think a lot of people do.

That's an awful big brush you've got there. The specific writer responsible for this Zoo Crew story is Geoff Johns. Now I think the general consensus on this guy is his heroes are heroic' date=' I've never sen him torture a sidekick or cripple anyone.[/quote']

Check out his latest TEEN TITANS run. Superboy (Kon-El) has just abandoned all his friends to the Crisis 'cause he's too busy going all emo over having DNA from Lex Luthor (and never mind how much /that/ plot twist is impossible to logically reconcile with the multiple DNA tests Kon had done before...).

Him also the same dude whose JSA run has recently had depresso fest 2005.

Geoff Johns used to write really good heroic comics, yes...

... several years ago. :(

They're making a big effort to enhance continuity by putting their top gun writers in charge of their creative direction and I think they've earned at least the benefit of the doubt by recognizing that things could be better and implementing new creative policies.

What new creative policies would these be again?

Please note, Geoff Johns, et al. were -- at least, according to the promotional materials for "Countdown To Infinite Crisis" -- handed the reins re: direction two years ago. So, if DC be believed, these are the very same people who plotted out "Identity Crisis", "Countdown", and "Infinite Crisis" in the first place!

So again, new creative direction of which? According to DC, everything that's happening now has been planned for years -- by some of the same people you're saying will save us from it.

Check out his latest TEEN TITANS run. Superboy (Kon-El) has just abandoned all his friends to the Crisis 'cause he's too busy going all emo over having DNA from Lex Luthor (and never mind how much /that/ plot twist is impossible to logically reconcile with the multiple DNA tests Kon had done before...).

Well, actually, Superboy's gone all emo and abandoned his friends because he's afraid of getting mind-controlled again and killing them all, as he nearly did. This is a rational fear. He knew about the Lex Luthor DNA for a long time before that, but didn't leave the team until he thought he presented too great a danger.

As for the change in his history.. (the Ret-Kon? :D) .. in his own title, he had a run-in with hypertime. It was silly, but there was an elelment that could erase a person from all hypertimelines if they came into contact with it. Kon's previous human DNA donor, Cadmus poobah Paul.. Westfield? was erased. So history had to change to accomodate that..

That's an awful big brush you've got there. The specific writer responsible for this Zoo Crew story is Geoff Johns. Now I think the general consensus on this guy is his heroes are heroic' date=' I've never sen him torture a sidekick or cripple anyone. [/quote']

I liked some of Geoff's JSA work as well. He has still been part of the crew that turned the DCU into something I have no desire to read. If he and the gang can use Infinite Crisis to re-introduce the idea of heroes who are actually heroic, that's nice. I might even pick up a few TPBs if the reviews are good. However, I'm not hopeful.

Him also the same dude whose JSA run has recently had depresso fest 2005.

Geoff Johns used to write really good heroic comics, yes...

... several years ago. :(

That sounds like a personal taste issue and since I don't like Teen Titans either, I'll agree with you on Titans. But I like what Johns is doing in Crisis.

(And I think I will nevermind how illogical the DNA thing is...

... even if you won't)

What new creative policies would these be again?

Please note, Geoff Johns, et al. were -- at least, according to the promotional materials for "Countdown To Infinite Crisis" -- handed the reins re: direction two years ago. So, if DC be believed, these are the very same people who plotted out "Identity Crisis", "Countdown", and "Infinite Crisis" in the first place!

So again, new creative direction of which? According to DC, everything that's happening now has been planned for years -- by some of the same people you're saying will save us from it.

Though neither the writer nor DC haven’t officially given Johns a title, the writer has entered into an editorial/consulting agreement with DC through Crisis, which is seeing Johns take a more active role in helping to shepherd the characters of the DCU both into the coming Crisis, and out through the end, seven months later.

That's what I was referring to. I've read articles saying they've been planting the seeds for the Crisis since two years ago, not that Johns has been officially charged with leading the DCU into a new creative direction.

As DiDio went on to recount' date=' the ideas were just too good to waste, and he figured that he should just put Morrison to work in the DCU in a consulting/development relationship, similar in a way to what Geoff Johns has with the publisher.[/quote']

There's what Morrison's doing.

These articles are a little more than six months old.

I've got no issues with Countdown or IC. I haven't read IDC, but I'm obviously enjoying the stories that it kickstarted. But I also feel that those stories are crescendos to DC's grim 'n' gritty days. I think when the dust settles, things will be more balanced between lighthearted, optomistic storytelling and realism.