Ridiculous things in comics that you don't mind.

Snake Gandhi

Re: Ridiculous things in comics that you don't mind.

I bet the iron spider mask is booby trapped... :sneaky:

Heh...

Peter:"Tony, it nearly blew my face off!"

Tony: "It would have protected your identity..."

Peter: "Yes, because i wouldn't have had a face to identify!"

Tony:"It's a prototype, you have to expect a few unusual ...features."

Peter: *Blinks* "Who are you? Bill Gates meets Anti Christ?"

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. And long philosophical conversations between people who intend to kill one-another. No cinematic bad guy ever just kills the hero. First, he always has to explain why it's OK for him to kill the hero.

Actually, scratch that. I hate that one.

Oh yes.. the monologuing and justification of trying to kill someone has to go.

Conversation can stay.

In fact ... It'd be damn funny to see them have a "normal" conversation going

Spidey: OK Doc Oc, I'm gonna take you in

DocOc: Not today!

*fight ensues*

S: *dodge* So how's that new lab coming? *thwip*

D: *yanks thread* Damn union *climbs wall to attack* causing me to go over budget.

S: *swing/Smack!* That sucks, this is the new underwater one right?

D: Yep *Laser Beam* Runing behind schedule too! *smack*

S: *thwip/stops knockback* What can ya do? *jump/thwip*

D: *swings arm to attack* Not much, so how's the wife?

S: *dodge* Good, thinking of moving uptown

D: *another attack* Yeah? I hear rent is decent

S: *dodge/thwips* Not bad, looking for better schooling *thwip again*

D: *swings over for better vantage using arms* That's important, need a good school *swings*

theres a very very good reason no one recognises black canary, no one is looking at her face.

but honestly if you met stunning blonde black canary in her fish nets and tight black leather and then met dinah lance brunette florist in a jumper and jeans would you make the connection.

theres a very very good reason no one recognises black canary, no one is looking at her face.

but honestly if you met stunning blonde black canary in her fish nets and tight black leather and then met dinah lance brunette florist in a jumper and jeans would you make the connection.

I might, but I'm strange.

(As in, I'm as fascinated by faces as by any other part.)

Conversation can stay.

*fight ensues*

D: *yanks thread* Damn union *climbs wall to attack* causing me to go over budget.

D: *swings over for better vantage using arms* That's important, need a good school *swings*

LOL

you must spread reputation around, yada yada

I trip over that whole "recognizing people out of context" thing in real life all the time. In fact, if they'd ever said something about Clark using Super Voice Modulation or something to disguise his voice when he's in costume, I actually wouldn't have to suspend disbelief very much at all... except the part about him keeping his distinct voices straight 100% of the time under stressful conditions.

Makes you wonder what happened whenever Clark called anyone on the phone. "Hello?" "Superman?!?" "No, this is Clark Kent. I just sound exactly like him. Just picture my glasses, okay?"

I trip over that whole "recognizing people out of context" thing in real life all the time. In fact, if they'd ever said something about Clark using Super Voice Modulation or something to disguise his voice when he's in costume, I actually wouldn't have to suspend disbelief very much at all... except the part about him keeping his distinct voices straight 100% of the time under stressful conditions.

Makes you wonder what happened whenever Clark called anyone on the phone. "Hello?" "Superman?!?" "No, this is Clark Kent. I just sound exactly like him. Just picture my glasses, okay?"

Have you read All-Star Superman? It's amazing how Quitely manipulates Clark/Superman's posture to give him two very distinct looks. Clark is a pudgy, slouching slob with his messy hair and Superman is all barrel-chested, square jawed glory with his perfect spit curl. Makes me wonder if you slowed down his superspeed change, you'd see him hellah primpin' that ****!

Most of us trust, more or less, the institutions. A police officer is answerable to his department, which is in turn answerable (in theory, eventually) to the public. The real identity of that police officer is very easy to ascertain. When trust in the institution breaks down, we stop trusting the uniforms.

A masked man using a false name is answerable to no one, until he's caught and the mask removed.

Superheroes are basically an institution.

[Minor Derail]Kevin Conroy does this when voicing Batman; he speaks normally for Bruce Wayne, but deepens his voice for Batman. IIRR Christian Bale did the same thing in Batman Begins.

In the new "The Batman" cartoon, the guy who does his voice (not Conroy) does the same thing. They had one episode when Alfred patched thru a call to the Batman in the Batmobile with the warning "She's calling for Master Bruce" and he spoke to her in Bruce's voice.[/Minor Derail].

I trip over that whole "recognizing people out of context" thing in real life all the time. In fact' date=' if they'd ever said something about Clark using Super Voice Modulation or something to disguise his voice when he's in costume, I actually wouldn't have to suspend disbelief very much at all... except the part about him keeping his distinct voices straight 100% of the time under stressful conditions.[/quote']

There actually *was* a mention in Superman comics sometime in the 90s about him doing that. Not a superpower, though, but simple voice acting.

Also, they mentioned that when Clark appears as Clark Kent, he deliberately slouches and rounds his shoulders, while when he appears as Superman, he keep a very erect posture, shoulders thrown back. And IRL, doing that kind of thing can change your *apparent* height by several inches... it's an old stage actor's trick.

Unstable molecules, or as Champs genre book puts it, "Near-Magical Costume Material".

Because even if they're all hotties, I still appreciate it when they can keep their clothes on.

Yet sometimes the costumes tear in combat, but never in a way that would reveal anything the wearer wouldn't want seen.

'Unstable molicule fabric that works with your powers and can be torn in combat but always keeps your dignity and secret ID intact'

Boy that's amasing stuff.

Chris Reeve sold me on that one in the movies. Face, posture, voice, mannerisism - no one would have confused the two.

Heroes must fight when they meet

Spider-Man to Spiderman 2099 upon meeting him for the first time: "Traditionally this is the point where we have a misunderstanding and fight each other. Let's not and just tell everyone we did."

See they don't 'have to', they're just expected to (that superhero club is kind of whacked).

I like the fact that by putting on a mask' date=' even one that does not cover your mouth, no one will recognize your voice.[/quote']

Haven't yoiu noticed they change their voice in the cartoons when they enter secret ID. Same thing applies.

Conversation can stay.

*fight ensues*

Very good. Repped! :thumbup:

I also don't mind (in fact, I love) the comicbook contention that mutations are almost always beneficial.

I'm not sure Marvel has ever said that even their 'mutations' are all benificial just that only those with beneficial mutations become 'lead characters'. It's kind of like the virus in the Wild Cards books. Those with benificial mutations become 'Aces' or 'Xmen' or 'BOEM members' etc. The other 90% of living mutants are only seen in passing, and we don'tr even talk about those who don't survive.

I mean can you really say Beak had a beneficial mutation.

Gotta admit' date=' that one's kinda gotten old for me, too ... especially since, as far as I can tell, the Champions Universe doesn't have the Mutant Paranoia factor going, yet everybody I've ever seen play a mutant in a standard CU game assumes that they do.[/quote']

They still have Genocide (or whatever it's calling itself these days) so it still has anti-mutant hate-groups.

The thing about Mutants and mutant hating is that it allowed Marvel to deal with the problems social problems while using the screen of 'mutation' to claim they weren't ("No we're not dealing with racial hate groups or gay bashings, their mutants, their not real. Any similarities to the actual crimes being comitted against minorities is purely coincidental). And while you might be getting tired of it after 40 years, the issues are still around only now Mutant= Moslem or person of Middle Eastern Appearance instead of 'African American' or 'Gay person'.

Also many teenagers still feel like 'mutants' for one reason or another and so idenify with the mutant characters.

I've met a fair number of celebs face to face and not recognized them out of context. In a sweat suit without makeup, Uma Thurman or Tricia Helfer are good looking women, but I didn't instantly say "Beatrix Kiddo" or "Number Six" when I saw them. Once I met one of my students when she was working as a model, and I had no idea who she was until she started talking to me.

I met a TV star working behind the counter in a cinema recently. She was wearing glasses so I obviously didn't recognise her immediately. However I had the feeling I knew her from somewhere and I eventually worked it out (then again I'm possibly more observant than your average comics world character).

But your right about context. And remember even their closes friends probably think of the Secret ID as a coward (he/she runs off whenever there is danger) and so would find it hard to believe that *they* could be a couragous hero, even if they do look similar. (How they explain 'Cowardlyman runs off, Heroman appears to save the day' escapes them is still something I'm attempting to justify (but I'm good at it, I'll get there eventually).

I wasn't aware of our giant purple Moslem-hunting robots. :)

They are probably on the drawing-board (given some of the actual things that the military has tried (hypnotising the afghan goats, getting a group of sci-fi writers to design the anti-missile defense system) Giant Robots would probably be a less ludicrous idea).

As for what they represent these days how about metaphoric huge unstoppable machine of government (which they've probably always represented) and the USA PATRIOT Act et. al. that is as likely to attack innocent people as actual terrorists.

I'm not sure Marvel has ever said that even their 'mutations' are all benificial just that only those with beneficial mutations become 'lead characters'. It's kind of like the virus in the Wild Cards books. Those with benificial mutations become 'Aces' or 'Xmen' or 'BOEM members' etc. The other 90% of living mutants are only seen in passing, and we don'tr even talk about those who don't survive.

I mean can you really say Beak had a beneficial mutation.

Morlocks. I'd bet that most of them are just ugly, with no real powers to speak of at all.

(It's still stupid that they all got killed by a dozen psycho mutants. Sure, they had surprise... but the Morlocks were entirely powerless to stop them?)

Conversation can stay.

*fight ensues*

I too shall rep you, because this was damn funny. We need more of this in the comics; I might actually buy something other than Fred Perry and Adam Warren then.

All sentences end in exclamation marks! Except for questions!

Back In The Day comics were printed from plates, which had a mirror-image on them. Looking at the plate, if you saw a dot you couln't be sure if it was a period, a comma, or a mistake without talking the time to puzzle out the reversed writing for context. So more distinctive exclaimation points and dashes took the place of periods and commas. Question marks were distinctive enough, even reversed, to be left alone.