Isis

Mark Rand

I wonder how many of us remember the 1970s live action Saturday morning TV show Secrets of Isis. Joanna Cameron starred in it as Andrea Thomas and Isis.

This is an attempt to recreate her.

If memory my serves me correctly, Andrea and Isis had the same skills. Andrea was a high school chemistry teacher with an interest in archaeology. She was also a good cook. Andrea was also athletic. She and fellow science teacher Rick Mason played tennis, and, as Isis, she once borrowed his scuba gear to rescue someone. She also had contacts in both the educational and scientific worlds and, in one episode, invented a forcefield generator known as a Circle Guard.

As Isis, she also had powers over nature. To quote the opening sequence: "You will soar as the falcon soars, run with the speed of gazelles, and command the elements of earth and sky." To me, this is a VPP with the limitations, natural elements only and incantations. To change from Andrea to Isis, she displays the amulet that had been hidden under her clothes and says, "Oh, Mighty Isis." To change back, she says, according to the comic book, "Oh Gods of Ancient Time and Space, put Andrea into her proper place."

Comments, questions, ideas?

Re: Isis

No comments beyond I really liked that show as a child. It used to come on after the Tarzan/Batman adventure hour. CBS had the best Saturday shows, Land of the Lost, Ark 7, Jason of Starcommand, Shazam, Isis …Ahhh…nostalgia…

I’m curious to see the write up once your done.

Guest Major Tom

If I'm remembering this correctly, she also had the power to control the weath-

er to some extent, as was shown on one episode where she and Captain Mar-

vel were working together.

Major Tom :cool:

Savant of Obscure Trivia

In the first issue of her comic, she demonstrates formidable power levels, much greater that her show's budget would have allowed.

Early on:

"This death bolt will empty you of life like water from a jar!"

"Miss your target, flash of light, you cannot match my amulet's might!"

Later in the issue, she fights a magical battle in mid-air while keeping pace with and protecting a passenger jet.

And in the climactic battle:

"Where nothing grew before save grass, let there be oaks of mighty mass!" and the White House lawn is covered by mature oak trees - big ones. They're hiding an ancient pyramid Isis is keeping suspended. She drops it onto the villain of that issue, trapping him within it again, then "Pyramid and prisoner fly away, back to Egypt, there to stay!"

In order: Scarab is supremely confident in his ability to kill Isis with one shot, so I'd call his Death Bolt either a 15-18d6 BODY Drain, or about a 6d6 RKA. Assuming Isis put all her points in defense against his death bolt, that's at least 25-30 points of Power Defense or Force Field.

The magical battle I'd have to look up, I'm not even sure where the comic is at the moment. But she was able to protect herself and the jet and fight the other magician to a standstill.

AE Transform, clearly, to create the oaks, the transformation is reversed with a suitable counterspell. The pyramid... well, she flew to Egypt to fetch it, carried it back to Washington, kept it suspended, dropped it on the villain, then returned it to Egypt. Granted, it was a very small pyramid, only about 15 feet high, but that's still an awful lot of stone.

In short, Isis is a top-rank super, easily on par with Zatanna at the very least, probably only one or two steps below Wonder Woman.

In the first issue of her comic' date=' she demonstrates formidable power levels, much greater that her show's budget would have allowed.[/quote']

Don't remember the comic, but that makes sense. As I recall, on the show she spent most of her time finding lost puppies, rescuing Timmy from the well and the like. Worst she got to fight was generic thugs. So not much call for flexing her muscles.

I actually did a write-up for Isis years ago for a "Land of the Silly TV Superheroes" Champions game. We worked under the assumption that she had more power than we saw on the show. IIRC, we decided she was roughly the same power level as Wonder Woman -- the Lynda Carter WW, that is. I also seem to remember some debate over whether her amulet was an OAF for all her powers, or just for Andrea's transformation to Isis.:think:

Hmm...I may still have those notes somewhere. I'll post `em if I find `em.

bigdamnhero

“I was fine when existence had no meaning. Meaninglessness in a universe that has no meaning – that I get. But meaninglessness in a universe with meaning…what does that *mean*?â€

I knew there had to be a fansite out there somewhere:

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/isis/home.html

Includes some episode summaries, pics, and a couple vid clips. (One of the clip shows her levitating a car, so her TK is at least 30 STR.)

bigdamnhero

“Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least there is symmetry.”

I found a DC Heroes writeup of Isis, which I'll convert to Champions and use to help create her. As far as her powers go, she has, at least, a 100 point VPP.

One thing I like about about Isis is that she's not tied to the Marvel Family. The Elders, who could be the Marvel Family Universe's version of the Buffyverse's Powers That Be, could easily know about her, and Andrea's Isis, being an avatar of the actual goddess, would probably know about them.

I went to http://www.writeups.org, typed in Isis and found her DC Heroes stats. I then found the DC Heroes to Champions conversions article at http://www.mactyre.net/scm/articles/Dcconv.html, and figured out their characteristics.

Here are Andrea's: STR 10; DEX 10; CON 8; BODY 10; INT 16; EGO 11; PRE 13; COM 14; PD 4; ED 4; SPD 2; REC 6; END 16; STUN 21

Here are Isis's: STR 15; DEX 25; CON 23; BODY 15; INT 16; EGO 17; PRE 21; COM 18; PD 15; ED 15; SPD 4; REC 8; END 46; STUN 33

According to the sheet, both women have the same skills: Occultist (Occult Knowledge, Ritual magic, and Identify Artifact) at 6 APs and Scientist at 2 APs

Both women have Scholar (Chemistry) and Insta-Change as advantages. While Isis also has the advantages of Attractive and a small base (her home near the Great Pyramid, Andrea also has the advantage Scholar (Teaching).

Both have the drawback Secret ID. Andrea also is nearsighted while Isis must be able to speak in order to change.

Lastly, we have Tut, the talking myna bird. He's just a normal bird, not an animal follower. Besides that, he's Andrea's pet, not Isis's.

I actually did a write-up for Isis years ago for a "Land of the Silly TV Superheroes" Champions game. We worked under the assumption that she had more power than we saw on the show. IIRC, we decided she was roughly the same power level as Wonder Woman -- the Lynda Carter WW, that is. I also seem to remember some debate over whether her amulet was an OAF for all her powers, or just for Andrea's transformation to Isis.:think:

Hmm...I may still have those notes somewhere. I'll post `em if I find `em.

Couldn't find them, sorry. Might still be in a box in the basement, but frankly it wasn't that brilliant enough of a write-up to justify the effort of digging it out. IIRC, her stats were fairly close to what MR posted. For powers I think we gave her a fairly straight-forward weather control multipower, but I couldn't tell you how many points, etc.

bigdamnhero

“I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!â€

Okay, this time I have Isis's skills for you. Most are usable by her in both forms.

PERK: Teacher's Certificate (Andrea only with secret ID)

PS: Teacher (Andrea only, in Perilous Pyramid Power,issue 5 of the Isis comic book, Isis is a flop as a teacher)

SS: Chemistry, Physics, Archaeology, Mathematics (and probably more)

PS: Inventor (In the TV episode The Sound of Silence Andrea invents the Circle Guard, a force field generator)

PS: Cook (in the series, it's mentioned that Andrea's a great cook)

KS: Tennis (Andrea and Rick play every day)

TF: car, scuba, horse (Isis borrowed Rick's scuba gear in the TV episode Scuba Duba

KS: Ritual Magic

KS: Occult Knowledge

KS: Magical Artifacts

I was flipping through CKC, and looking at Stormfront it occurred to me that his power suite is pretty close to what I would imagine for Isis. We'd probably want to amp a few of them up a bit, what with her being a Goddess and all...

Weather Powers: Elemental Control, 40-point powers

1) Broad Weather Control: Change Environment 4" radius, -2 to Sight Group PER Rolls, Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Varying Effect Any Type Of Weather Broad Group (+1) (40 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Only Affects Normal Weather (-1/2)

2) Local Weather Control I: Change Environment 8" radius, -4 to Sight Group PER Rolls, Varying Effect Any Type Of Weather Which Can Affect Vision Limited Group (+1/2) (43 Active Points)

3) Local Weather Control II: Change Environment 8" radius, -4 to Characteristic Roll or Skill Roll, Varying Effect (any type of weather which can make the ground slippery) Limited Group (+1/2) (43 Active Points)

4) Local Weather Control III: Change Environment 16" radius, 4 Temperature Level Adjustment, Varying Effect Very Limited Group (+1/4) (42 Active Points)

5) Projected Lightning: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (40 Active Points)

6) Miniature Blizzard: Energy Blast 3d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), No Normal Defense (LS: Intense Cold, Fire Powers, or some other personal source of heat (Standard; +1), Continuous (+1) (52 Active Points); Limited Range 20") (-1/4)

7) Windriding: Flight 14", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (42 Active Points)

8) Wind Manipulation: Telekinesis (20 STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Affects Whole Object (-1/4)

9) Shield Of Wind: Force Field (14 PD/14 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (42 Active Points)

Self-Acclimating: Life Support (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat)

bigdamnhero

“I am NOT a committee!â€

I was flipping through CKC, and looking at Stormfront it occurred to me that his power suite is pretty close to what I would imagine for Isis. We'd probably want to amp a few of them up a bit, what with her being a Goddess and all...

Weather Powers: Elemental Control, 40-point powers

1) Broad Weather Control: Change Environment 4" radius, -2 to Sight Group PER Rolls, Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Varying Effect Any Type Of Weather Broad Group (+1) (40 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Only Affects Normal Weather (-1/2)

2) Local Weather Control I: Change Environment 8" radius, -4 to Sight Group PER Rolls, Varying Effect Any Type Of Weather Which Can Affect Vision Limited Group (+1/2) (43 Active Points)

3) Local Weather Control II: Change Environment 8" radius, -4 to Characteristic Roll or Skill Roll, Varying Effect (any type of weather which can make the ground slippery) Limited Group (+1/2) (43 Active Points)

4) Local Weather Control III: Change Environment 16" radius, 4 Temperature Level Adjustment, Varying Effect Very Limited Group (+1/4) (42 Active Points)

5) Projected Lightning: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (40 Active Points)

6) Miniature Blizzard: Energy Blast 3d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), No Normal Defense (LS: Intense Cold, Fire Powers, or some other personal source of heat (Standard; +1), Continuous (+1) (52 Active Points); Limited Range 20") (-1/4)

7) Windriding: Flight 14", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (42 Active Points)

8) Wind Manipulation: Telekinesis (20 STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Affects Whole Object (-1/4)

9) Shield Of Wind: Force Field (14 PD/14 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (42 Active Points)

Self-Acclimating: Life Support (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat)

bigdamnhero

“I am NOT a committee!â€

It's good, but since Isis has used non weather-related powers in the TV series and comic book, I'm going to give her a 100 point variable power pool with the limitations OIHID and incantations.

It's good' date=' but since Isis has used non weather-related powers in the TV series and comic book, I'm going to give her a 100 point variable power pool with the limitations OIHID and incantations.[/quote']

What non-weather powers did she use in the show, apart from levitation? (Not saying your wrong - just saying I don't remember.)

bigdamnhero

“Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least there is symmetry.â€

What non-weather powers did she use in the show, apart from levitation? (Not saying your wrong - just saying I don't remember.)

bigdamnhero

“Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least there is symmetry.â€

Clairvoyance and desolidification.

OK, clairvoyance I sorta remember. How/when did the desolid work?

bigdamnhero

“These aren't the droids you're looking for.â€

In season two's two-part episode, she asked an iron fence to let her through. Also, in the first season episode The Sound of Silence, she walked the force field generated by the Circle Guard, which she, as Andrea, invented.

In season two's two-part episode' date=' she asked an iron fence to let her through. Also, in the first season episode [i']The Sound of Silence,[/i] she walked the force field generated by the Circle Guard, which she, as Andrea, invented.

:hail: Do have these on tape, or do you just have a photgraphic memory for obscure 30-year-old Saturday morning cartoons? (Either way, I am most impressed! Rep for you!)

Yeah, it does sound like VPP: Whatever Power The Writers Want Her to Have. A not-uncommon build in TV superheroes, especially back in the day.

bigdamnhero

“Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?â€