On Fantasy [G.R.R.M.]

Eosin

This "mission statement" was pointed out on another board. I thought it was insightful.

"On Fantasy"

by George R. R. Martin

The best fantasy is written in the language of dreams. It is alive as dreams are alive, more real than real ... for a moment at least ... that long magic moment before we wake.

Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli. Reality is plywood and plastic, done up in mud brown and olive drab. Fantasy tastes of habaneros and honey, cinnamon and cloves, rare red meat and wines as sweet as summer. Reality is beans and tofu, and ashes at the end. Reality is the strip malls of Burbank, the smokestacks of Cleveland, a parking garage in Newark. Fantasy is the towers of Minas Tirith, the ancient stones of Gormenghast, the halls of Camelot. Fantasy flies on the wings of Icarus, reality on Southwest Airlines. Why do our dreams become so much smaller when they finally come true?

We read fantasy to find the colors again, I think. To taste strong spices and hear the songs the sirens sang. There is something old and true in fantasy that speaks to something deep within us, to the child who dreamt that one day he would hunt the forests of the night, and feast beneath the hollow hills, and find a love to last forever somewhere south of Oz and north of Shangri-La.

They can keep their heaven. When I die, I'd sooner go to middle Earth.

Direct Link

Re: On Fantasy [G.R.R.M.]

And the Shire had a fair number of smokestacks and mills (for a while).

But it's a wonderful sentiment. Unfortunately, I just couldn't find that kind of wonder in AGoT. Susan has read them. I just read the first half of the first one.

Keith "On the whole, I'd rather be in Oz" CUrtis

It infuriates me how he goes about killing off the WRONG characters!

Sheesh. I mean, it is really well done, but I hate him for it to. Sometimes I think he does it just to remain "unpredictable."

And yes, Hamilton's sex stuff is kinda annoying. However, the real reason I dislike it is that as the books progrss, the sex seems to have more and more control over Anita's and her actions. Basically, it is getting dangerously close to mind control, which I hate as a general concept, at least when it removes what I think is free will.

It is precisely the fact that he kills off characters that I keep reading his books. I read a book called The Briar King (forgot the author) which develops a few heroes. After the first few chapters, I was certain none of these heroes would ever die. The mortality of the characters makes it seem much more real.

Feast of Crows is so-so. It's only half of a book Martin admits. The other half may come out this year if we're lucky. The only characters I cared about reading in this one were Jaime and Brienne. The rest were a bit boring.

Martin has become one of my new favorite Authors. I need to get ahold of Feast of Crows.......

So good bt infuriaating, because its only really half a book. You get the next half of the perspective characters later on this year, but you have to wait until 2008 or later to get the next chronological volume. ARRGH! I pray this doesn't turn into Wheel of time.

GRR is my main man you see.

I've only read the first book and that was a few years ago. I just bought it and the second book (still waiting for the second one to arrive).

I loved it and couldn't put it down. My fave character, by far, was the dwarf (in the real world term) character. Can't remember his name. In my mind he was an incredibly original creation with an amazing depth of character.

Tyrion.

So good bt infuriaating' date=' because its only really half a book. You get the next half of the perspective characters later on this year, but you have to wait until 2008 or later to get the next chronological volume. ARRGH! I pray this doesn't turn into Wheel of time.[/quote']

It could. AFoC shows pretty clearly how the story is getting away from GRRM a little bit; I think he's introduced just a few too many POV characters. However, I suspect that the long hiatus between ASoS and AFoC was at least partly because GRRM had to step back and really map out how the rest of the series is going to go. I'd still expect the series to bloat further than his last estimate of seven books, and wind up at eight.

It is precisely the fact that he kills off characters that I keep reading his books. I read a book called The Briar King (forgot the author) which develops a few heroes. After the first few chapters' date=' I was certain none of these heroes would ever die. The mortality of the characters makes it seem much more real.[/quote']

I agree. The fact that a favorite character can die heightens the suspense factor for me.

hell' date=' Arya's ending in the latest ending gives me hope. You just don't see that in fantasy. (I love her to bits ofcourse.)[/quote']

See, beacuse you have begun to experience hope, Arrya will now die.

I haven't read Crows yet, but this is the way of Martin.

LONG LIVE THE STARKS! TRUE KINGS OF THE NORTH!

I think Martin basically knows who it's going to take to get from point A to point B and kills off character indiscrimanately if they're not required for that purpose. I think it keeps the reader on their toes and makes you actually worry if the protagonist is going to make it.

Steve made some comments about the explicitness of the sex scenes back in FH and I thought it seemed odd then. We all have different tolerances I guess. I haven't read anything in the books that were even remotely more than standard stuff people do. You need to read some Piers Anthony to get the disturbing sex scenes.

See, beacuse you have begun to experience hope, Arrya will now die.

I haven't read Crows yet, but this is the way of Martin.

LONG LIVE THE STARKS! TRUE KINGS OF THE NORTH!

Not true. I mean, Tyrion is still alive (probably) and he's seen the most action and political intrigue of any of the characters. I just wonder what happened to Rickon, he sorta disappeared with that wildling chick.